Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 04:22 AM

1 posts, read 3,215 times

Advertisements

I moved to Oregon from California with certification in special education and general education. The district said they would be interested and to make sure to give them a call as soon as I moved here. THEN NOTHING!!!!! My husband has his masters in ed and works in a call center at minimum wage. I am still unemployed. OREGON SUCKS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 10:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,642 times
Go to the State Education Department online....
of whichever state you would like to teach in...

click on each district's website and search vacancies

i have seen art teacher vacancies at several schools in my state....

I know it's a long process...also, check Schoolspring.com

Old 06-29-2010, 05:17 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,973,327 times
I don't think most places need *art* teachers though. Art is expendable in a time of budget cuts. For example, our district just decided to let all the elementary art teachers go and have the regular classroom teachers teach art.

Even in high schools, you may find that there are many more people who want to teach art than there are positions.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:44 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,356,981 times
Yeah schools are required by law in many states to post openings to the public, however the majority of those postings are already being filled by teachers who will be brought back and signing new contracts...or the district/shool already knows who they are hiring for the job anyway and it's all just a rat race formality of making it public. It's not easy right now to find a job in education.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:12 AM

90,296 posts, read 120,983,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown68 View Post
There are a number of major cities like DC,Phily, Chicago, New Orleans have Teaching Fellows/Intern programs where previous education coursework is not required. Typically, you would be employed as a classroom teacher in a shortage area like math,science,special education while taking classes to become certified.
Denver has such a program as well. Competition is stiff.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:56 AM

432 posts, read 762,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Anyone suggest Alaska? seriously//\\
That's exactly what I did, actually. Went to a job fair in Anchorage. Got a job. Start in August. Looking forward to it.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:17 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,766,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
I can recommend Anchorage. We just had an influx of 500 new students with the subsequent hire of 53 additional teachers. So they are not laying off teachers here. You can go on our website to search high need curriculum areas such as special education, native Spanish speakers for Spanish immersion schools, etc.

asdk12.org

There is usually a need for teachers also in remote bush Alaska, due to high turnover, tough living conditions, etc.
I suggested Alaska....Glad you found a job up here RDawg! Anchorage, bush, or elsewhere?

Old 01-17-2011, 12:44 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,466,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia93933 View Post
I moved to Oregon from California with certification in special education and general education. The district said they would be interested and to make sure to give them a call as soon as I moved here. THEN NOTHING!!!!! My husband has his masters in ed and works in a call center at minimum wage. I am still unemployed. OREGON SUCKS.
And this is why people say, "Don't move without a contract!" Period. I hope you researched a bit and saw that Oregon is going through some difficult times and it is extremely difficult to get a teaching position there. Besides, Oregon has plenty of highly qualified teachers rolling out of good universities (Oregon being one of the top 3 in the nation). Try to get into a few districts to sub, get your master's, get ESL endorsed, and maybe you could land something...but, in all honesty, an Oregon grad will have a much higher chance.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,685 times
Unhappy Georgia- No more shortages

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxu66 View Post
Georgia needs teacher, specially in Atlanta suburbs like Forsyth, Gwinnett, Cobb.
That was the case back in 06. However, since the downturn of the economy, teachers have not been retiring or re-locating. So, there are very few positions to be filled in most areas. I spoke with my Principal who has gotten several hundred applications for the next school year, but there are no openings.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:40 PM

1,197 posts, read 2,283,656 times
I wonder if the problem in getting jobs is the lack of impressive resumes/answers to questions. I also wonder if the people that are having trouble are not doing enough legwork. I got my first teaching job 6 years ago in Phoenix. At that time Phoenix was in the middle of the housing boom and districts were expanding. It was pretty easy to get a job. My wife had wanted to move back to the Midwest for a while and we had decided to move to Wisconsin. I went on Wisconsin's teaching job website every day and applied for every teaching job that I was qualified for. I would usually get correspondence back from the district saying they had over 150 applicants for their position and had selected their candidates for an interview. I flew into Wisconsin from Phoenix and attended two teacher job fairs, in addition to applying for all open positions I saw. I did get called for one interview in La Crosse. I ended up not getting the job, but was told it was mostly due to me having to get my license in the particular subject area (Business) while one of the other applicants already had his credentials. The principal told me that normally I would not have been one of the chosen applicants but that my score on the Gallup Teacher Insight Survey was so high that they picked me based on that. My wife ended up getting a job in St. Louis and so we moved here in August. It happened too quick for me to get my Missouri Teaching license, so I've been teaching ACT Prep for a private company, while working towards getting my license to be in a classroom next year. Once again I've attended job fairs and applied for every position I've seen. In total I probably have applied of 10 positions I've seen open up. I have an interview next week for one of them. The key is getting the interview.

The point of all this is just to say that teaching is a competitive position. A principal has a finite number of positions they are looking to fill. So it becomes a numbers game. You have to pretty much apply to everything you see. And you have to be impressive when answering the questions that most districts pose to you in the application process. Every position is going to have multiple applicants. So you have to somehow stand out from the pack. You also have to attend job fairs, which give you the opportunity to meet with some of the principals face-to-face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching