Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 11:21 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,935,420 times

Advertisements

14 states exclude teachers from social security and have independent pension plans

Alaska, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, Ohio and Texas are the states where teachers do not pay into social security or get social security when they retire.

In other states, teachers may get reduced benefits depending on factors like whether or not their spouse gets benefits or whether they have other pensions.

Teachers and Social Security

Old 02-27-2011, 12:01 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,542,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Exodus View Post
[/font][/font][/color]

My 9th grade civics teacher drove a Mercedes. So get real.
So how do you know what your teacher's spouse does for a living? Do you know that your teacher didn't inherit money? What difference does what kind of car your teacher drives make, anyway? Is it ANYONE'S business what kind of car a teacher drives??? I guess what frustrtaes me is the critics of teachers (most of whom don't have comperable education or or a white collar job are the first to criticize teachers for their pay/benefits. If teaching is such a gravy train job, why don't THEY get degrees and certicication and see what it's like to be standing at the front of the class instead of merely sitting at a desk facing the front.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:04 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,326,320 times
Just one question. If teachers are so overworked, underpaid, and underappreciated....why do they still work as teachers? I ask as an elementary school teacher who works hard, and LOVES HER JOB. Yes, I bring work home, deal with difficult students, parents, colleagues, BUT....I also have the same schedule as my kids and have deep job satisfaction. I work hard, but so do the parents in my class, so does my husband. Everyone works hard.
If teaching every became a source of anxiety or if I could make more money elsewhere with the same hours/schedule, I'd quit immediately.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:08 PM

76 posts, read 167,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Teachers are highly educated.
Oh really? I guess that's why my 10th grade world history teacher told me that Midway was an insignificant battle or why my 11th grade AP American history teacher told me to stop correcting him, or why my 11th grade physics teacher didn't know an alpha particle from a beta particle until I explained it to him. And maybe that's why my 7th grade mathematics teacher was also my 9th grade typing/shorthand teacher.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Oh yes, ornitohologists are just being ripped apart on these boards, the news, and nearly everywhere else just about daily.
Ornithologists don’t form cartels that make extortionist demands on taxpayers either.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
You do realize your own SOURCE has teachers making the second lowest salary right?

Some how I suspect you did not realize that.
You do realize that I was comparing the salaries on this list to the salaries that public school teachers where I live make?

Old 02-27-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Your "real world standards" seem to be based upon a magical time machine journey back to your own personal experience and how you perceived things in 1984. You are taking that and making blanket statements about a whole profession today. It is kind of funny actually.
Public school teachers are making the same complaints now that have been making my entire life. Teacher pay and teacher performance (as in lack of) have been perennial issues for 40 years or more.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:18 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,747,046 times
Quote:
Oh really? I guess that's why my 10th grade world history teacher told me that Midway was an insignificant battle or why my 11th grade AP American history teacher told me to stop correcting him, or why my 11th grade physics teacher didn't know an alpha particle from a beta particle until I explained it to him. And maybe that's why my 7th grade mathematics teacher was also my 9th grade typing/shorthand teacher.
Maybe, just maybe you went to a crappy school. Bad teachers, poor students, based on EVERYTHING you have presented here I would make that conclusion.

I am a teacher, I have a Masters degree in my field from a top university, and I work as a paid scientist every summer. I am by no means atypical for the teachers I know. Of course I teach in a state that has one of the best education system around, and you are from Florida apparently.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I've never heard of teachers being exempt from social security taxes.
As a general rule government employees are exempt from Social Security because their unions can effectively blackmail the taxpayers into giving them something better. There is also the legal doctrine that the power to tax is the power to destroy. Since employers pay part of the Social Security taxes, the federal government cannot really legally demand that public employees be covered by Social Security because the federal government could use its taxing power to tax state and local governments out of existence.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:19 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,747,046 times
Quote:
Ornithologists don’t form cartels that make extortionist demands on taxpayers either.
If you think research scientists, the majority of whom either work directly for the government or for universities are not part of the state benefit plans and benefit from collective bargaining you really are as ignorant as you come across.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.