Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 05:49 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,278,333 times

Advertisements

It means that almost every small business that may have been in town for generations has closed down as the next generation would prefer to make a guaranteed better living and lifestyle without the 24/7 risk and expense of maintaining a business. Other businesses aren't locating there because the people are poor due to high taxes on them and businesses which results in a severe lack of jobs.

This area is suffering from the opposite of what yours is in the way of teacher pay, ie, much higher than the prevailing nearby employment (if you can find any), with these things being the result of the necessary taxes to fund such. In other words it's out of whack in the other direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 05:52 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,259,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
I am a teacher in Oklahoma with 8 years experience, and a Bachelor's +15. My salary is a little over $34,000 per year... and that includes my benefits package. My monthly take-home check is $2200.

Now, if you look at "average teacher salary" in Oklahoma on other websites, they lump administrators in with their stats and it skews the data.

So, please, please, PLEASE make sure you have your facts in order before you go telling a teacher they "make too much for what they do" or that their salary is "comparable to other occupations with the same level of education". It's not fair because the information can be twisted to suit promote someone else's political agenda.
11 years, Bachelor's and make just above $40K in NC. Had made $50K in Michigan in 2008....

Is that $2200 take home based on 12 months?

Old 03-29-2011, 05:54 PM

1,224 posts, read 4,003,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
It means that almost every small business that may have been in town for generations has closed down as the next generation would prefer to make a guaranteed better living and lifestyle without the 24/7 risk and expense of maintaining a business. Other businesses aren't locating there because the people are poor due to high taxes on them and businesses which results in a severe lack of jobs.

This area is suffering from the opposite of what yours is in the way of teacher pay, ie, much higher than the prevailing nearby employment (if you can find any), with these things being the result of the necessary taxes to fund such. In other words it's out of whack in the other direction.
So, you're blaming the failure of small businesses on the overpaid teachers and it has nothing to do with the internet and big box-stores?

Old 03-29-2011, 05:55 PM

1,224 posts, read 4,003,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
11 years, Bachelor's and make just above $40K in NC. Had made $50K in Michigan in 2008....

Is that $2200 take home based on 12 months?
Yes. I get a check every month- even in the summer.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:02 PM

78,562 posts, read 60,762,573 times
Quote:
According to CNBC:
"Overall, the average salary offered to 2010 [college] graduates is $48,351"

That's NEW grads- not people who have been in their field for almost a decade.

My husband is a welder (with no college education) and makes $45,000 per year.

I have "only" a Bachelor's degree plus 3 hours away from having a Master's degree- but I get paid too much to make sure the future adults of this country can read, write, and think. And- for the 3rd time- that $35,000 salary INCLUDES benefits. My take home is $2200 per month (A little over $24,000 per year).
You should study economics sometime.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:18 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,211,521 times
Quote:
According to CNBC:
"Overall, the average salary offered to 2010 [college] graduates is $48,351"

That's NEW grads- not people who have been in their field for almost a decade.
Well to be fair you work a lot less of the year than those other graduates, and will get a pension to likely retire much earlier than most of them, and that average includes difficult degrees like engineering that have higher entry level salaries.

Quote:
I have "only" a Bachelor's degree plus 3 hours away from having a Master's degree- but I get paid too much to make sure the future adults of this country can read, write, and think.
You are responding to my post but are somehow arguing against someone who claimed you get paid too much. It wasn't me.

What exactly do you mean by your 35k salary includes benefits? If you mean they take out some for health insurance, etc. then yeah that is how salary works for all of us. Is your gross pay something other than 35k?

Old 03-29-2011, 09:21 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,278,333 times
There never were big box stores as the income level was too low to attract them. Even before the internet became popular for shopping the scales were tipped in that the public payroll was far greater ($50,000 avg public salary vs $25,000 private). This caused a tax base that was unsustainable and lots of people chasing govt jobs and rejecting or not finding other jobs.

My point is that while your experience is on one end of the scale, there can be equally bad consequences if circumstances are entirely on the other end. In this case a whole community that is on the slippery slope.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:09 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,211,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
There does seem to be quite a difference depending on your state.
A good point. It doesn't make sense to compare a teacher salary in OK to the average college graduate salary across the entire nation, a more useful comparison would be either national average teacher salary vs. nation college graduate or OK teacher versus OK college graduate.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:17 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,699,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
A good point. It doesn't make sense to compare a teacher salary in OK to the average college graduate salary across the entire nation, a more useful comparison would be either national average teacher salary vs. nation college graduate or OK teacher versus OK college graduate.
Average college graduate salary: $46,000

Average teacher salary: $48,088 after 10-19 years of experience ($33,950 for new teachers)

Sources:
College Graduate Salaries | Simply Hired
Teacher Salary | TeacherPortal.com

Old 03-29-2011, 10:33 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,947,024 times
Your benefits and your salary is really low from those in many school district where I live.I take it from your post you pay for all your benefits with no contribution from the district when you say with benfits.That is amoung the lowest I have ever heard for a teacher really and having to pay for all benefits with no contribution is rare.That schedule you post says somethng much different unless you work i the worse where it includes benfits like insurance and retirement. Can't beleieve you take home that much after taxes.healthcare ;retirement if you pay it all even if not paying into SS.Where I live you would make 42000 starting out with fully paid heathcare for twelve months and a good retirement plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching