Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2013, 01:49 AM

273 posts, read 1,063,091 times

Advertisements

i made these while i was a college student. i would hang them on my wall in my bedroom to remind me how to study and stay ahead of myself. now, i hang these tips on my wall in the classroom. about 1% of my students use it, and even then to a modest degree. these are tips to help guide a student become a successful learner. it's a rough blueprint to at the least get someone started. the goal is to find the handful of learning tools/options that fit your personality/situation the best and proceed with following thorough. not everyone will use all of these ideas but they exist and can be called upon when needed.

Flash cards with description or drawing; not only definition or process

Glossary

Lecture (notes, learn from hearing, record information on device, draw what instructor is mentioning, write down what you did not understand as it was said and consult later)

Professor interaction before and after class

Professor appointment

Collect at least 3-5 email addresses and phone numbers from your peers in each course and continue to consult daily with your classmates on the latest lecture/concepts AND offer to assist in explaining a concept/idea to your peers. When you teach, it helps entrench the idea in your mind. And when your peers reciprocate, you also learn. It’s a win-win for all parties.

Student study groups

YouTube clips including TeacherTube

Lecture notes

Individual/self talk-back and explain

Message boards or forums seeking question/answer

Direct one on one tutoring offered free at college for its students

Record self taking on video explaining concept and play it back

Take practice exams and answer self-assessment questions

Write down what you do not understand, either in class, with peers, or during self-study, and address those issues using one of the consult methods mentioned on this list (tutoring, speak to professor, msg. boards, etc.)

Always participate in class by answering questions or asking questions. Don't be shy. You are paying for professional training which is what college is. You are here to receive training for your future job. Always remember that.

Learn from others in class. Allow open dialogue and listen to what your classmates are saying. Don’t daydream. Learning must be active. Remember that the period will be over shortly. Focus. You will have to work one day. Practice professionalism now.

Study and look over material before class. This should not be done only before a test. You should come prepared ready to learn and participate.

After class, review your notes. This is when they are the most fresh in your mind. Follow up the same day or the next by emailing your professor or peers to reinforce that concept.

Make your own charts, diagrams, and drawings to cover detail

Use Mnemonic devices whenever possible

Associate a term with a real-life object or experience that you have had so you can easily recall it. For example, associate HDL (high density lipoprotein) cholesterol with "happy." You will easily remember which type of cholesterol is healthy for the body - HDL vs. LDL.

Exaggerate parts of diagrams/illustrations to focus in on one main area and branch out from there

Switch subjects routinely
In keeping with the age-old proverb that values quality over quantity, scientists have found that immersion is not an effective method of study, The New York Times reports. Rather than sticking to one subject and spending hours attempting to master it, you should switch between a few (related) topics. It’s less boring – and you will learn more.

Change study locations routinely
Although some people swear by the library, cognitive scientists suggest alternating study spaces is a more effective way to retain information according to The New York Times. Memory is colored by location, and changing your study locales increases the likelihood of remembering what you’ve learned.

TIME BASED STUDY

60-second drills

2-minute concept explanations

20-minute minimum to 1 hour focused studying depending on subject and your personal peak performance relative to stamina

Focused studying beats volume studying any day. I would set a time to study for 1 hour, super focus, learn, read and when the timer would go off I would stop for 30 minutes, go play with my kids, help with dinner, etc. – once the timer went off after 30 minutes I would go back to studying and repeat this cycle. Using visual cues (markers, underlining, circling, staring) are part of this super-focused learning. Studying hard is not as effective as studying smart. There is a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 814 times
good stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching