Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 04:33 PM

474 posts, read 2,541,606 times

Advertisements

Dear Friends:

In the past, I have mentioned about the family acquaintance who became a young lady school teacher in the CPS system.

This actual / true incident happened about two years ago in Chicago. A young lady in her early twenties was hired by a CPS school in a very bad neighborhood. She chose that job since it was the only one she could find as a teacher. There were no teaching positions out in the Chicago suburbs.

Sometime into that school year, she started having problems with a rebellous young fellow. He was a minority and did not want to attend school.

So he pulled a knife on the young lady school teacher and slashed her. She immediately called in the superintendent and he called in the Chicago Police. Because the kid was a minor, the Chicago police would not arrest the kid. A second reason was that the kid was too young.

At that point, our family friend teacher was terrified until she talked to the principal of that school. The school was willing to break her contract but she stayed there until the end of the school season so that she would have a job to pay for her nearby Chicago apartment.

To appease the situation, the school moved a private security guard into that classroom for the protection of the teacher.

So I guess the moral of this true incident is to 'travel at your own risk'.

So, yes, you are going to find a few school teaching positions in the CPS system. However, do you dare take a gamble with your own life situation on one of them? Do you want to carry a registered hand gun into the CPS as a teacher? Well, unfortunately, Mayor Daley won't let you do that. So YOU decide if you want to possibly risk you life in the very bad neighborhoods of the CPS school systems

Carter Glass
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 06:08 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,259,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOWELL_STREET View Post
Dear Friends:

In the past, I have mentioned about the family acquaintance who became a young lady school teacher in the CPS system.

This actual / true incident happened about two years ago in Chicago. A young lady in her early twenties was hired by a CPS school in a very bad neighborhood. She chose that job since it was the only one she could find as a teacher. There were no teaching positions out in the Chicago suburbs.

Sometime into that school year, she started having problems with a rebellous young fellow. He was a minority and did not want to attend school.

So he pulled a knife on the young lady school teacher and slashed her. She immediately called in the superintendent and he called in the Chicago Police. Because the kid was a minor, the Chicago police would not arrest the kid. A second reason was that the kid was too young.

At that point, our family friend teacher was terrified until she talked to the principal of that school. The school was willing to break her contract but she stayed there until the end of the school season so that she would have a job to pay for her nearby Chicago apartment.

To appease the situation, the school moved a private security guard into that classroom for the protection of the teacher.

So I guess the moral of this true incident is to 'travel at your own risk'.

So, yes, you are going to find a few school teaching positions in the CPS system. However, do you dare take a gamble with your own life situation on one of them? Do you want to carry a registered hand gun into the CPS as a teacher? Well, unfortunately, Mayor Daley won't let you do that. So YOU decide if you want to possibly risk you life in the very bad neighborhoods of the CPS school systems

Carter Glass
Hello Mr. Glass,
I don't want to take the focus away from the OP's original question and I believe that we have had this discussion before however, I think you are taking one persons odd experience and making it the "norm." I can tell you that that is not the "norm" for Chicago. Also, I'm sure it wasn't the norm for people in white, upper class suburbs with good safe schools to bring guns to school and murder/harm individuals, but it has happened..... you can't live your life in complete fear because these incidents can happen even in the most unsuspecting places and you also can't make one incident have you think that that is the norm. Schools are still the safest places (for teachers and children) to be.....in general. Are there not great places? Sure. But, as teachers, you have the freedom to choose not to take a job in a place where you feel unsafe. Also, if you feel unsafe in a position you are in, you can leave that position. Again, this is one persons experience 2 years ago and she chose to stay in that position. Many, many teachers have great experiences, so why would you let one person's odd incident taint that? I know you will probably say "it only takes one incident," however, we can't live in a bubble and you can't predict where things will happen..... things happen in nice, quiet suburbs as well. Again, I don't want to hijack the tread, I'm sure we both want to help the OP with meeting her original goals.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:00 AM

474 posts, read 2,541,606 times
Default Hi Jessie Girl

... My only goal with my writings is to help people decide for themselves. So I hope that people know how to take a risk for themselves, too.

Since I have four adult kids who are around the ages of 30, to me they appear quite isolated within their own generation.

They refuse to take any risks and they refuse to do a face to face socialization with people. Instead, they sit at their computers most of the time. Risks are good to take unless one observes a dangerous situation from some acquaintance of the past....

And so because of my own 'kids', perhaps I receive a lopsided opinion of the 'X, Y, & Z' generations. "X, Y, and Z" was originally 'coined' by Tom Brokaw.

Isn't there another saying - - that once "you make your bed, then you have to sleep in it"? So the message I convey is to be very careful, because once 'you' sign a contract, it is very difficult to back out.

Yes, I have repeated this same message before but it appears that most people do not read 'old' threads and posts.

Best Regards To You, Jessie Girl !

Carter Glass

Old 11-14-2007, 04:23 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,259,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOWELL_STREET View Post
... My only goal with my writings is to help people decide for themselves. So I hope that people know how to take a risk for themselves, too.

Since I have four adult kids who are around the ages of 30, to me they appear quite isolated within their own generation.

They refuse to take any risks and they refuse to do a face to face socialization with people. Instead, they sit at their computers most of the time. Risks are good to take unless one observes a dangerous situation from some acquaintance of the past....

And so because of my own 'kids', perhaps I receive a lopsided opinion of the 'X, Y, & Z' generations. "X, Y, and Z" was originally 'coined' by Tom Brokaw.

Isn't there another saying - - that once "you make your bed, then you have to sleep in it"? So the message I convey is to be very careful, because once 'you' sign a contract, it is very difficult to back out.

Yes, I have repeated this same message before but it appears that most people do not read 'old' threads and posts.

Best Regards To You, Jessie Girl !

Carter Glass
Thank you Mr. Glass
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching