Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2013, 06:57 PM

36 posts, read 64,943 times

Advertisements

I would like to know what qualifications make you a competitive applicant for an Earth Science teaching job (7-12 middle or high school) in North Jersey, more specifically near Edgewater, Fort Lee, Hoboken area)

For example:
In order to be considered for a tenure track position on Long Island (even in the crappiest town) you will need in the LEAST in addition to your Masters: Special Ed Cert AND Dual Certification AND Experience to even be on a level playing field with the other applicants. {meaning if you want a high school Earth Science job you must be dual certified in Chemistry, Biology or Physics in addition to your Earth Sci cert}, then eventually special ed. (I have been interviewing and have chatted up the other girls in the waiting room and everyone said they had been on countless interviews and that is the general consensus of how much education everyone had). Basically if you want a job on Long Island its pretty hard core.

So:

What are qualifications make you a competitive applicant for an Earth Science teaching job (7-12 middle or high school) in North Jersey?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 08:02 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 516xo212 View Post
I would like to know what qualifications make you a competitive applicant for an Earth Science teaching job (7-12 middle or high school) in North Jersey, more specifically near Edgewater, Fort Lee, Hoboken area)

For example:
In order to be considered for a tenure track position on Long Island (even in the crappiest town) you will need in the LEAST in addition to your Masters: Special Ed Cert AND Dual Certification AND Experience to even be on a level playing field with the other applicants. {meaning if you want a high school Earth Science job you must be dual certified in Chemistry, Biology or Physics in addition to your Earth Sci cert}, then eventually special ed. (I have been interviewing and have chatted up the other girls in the waiting room and everyone said they had been on countless interviews and that is the general consensus of how much education everyone had). Basically if you want a job on Long Island its pretty hard core.

So:

What are qualifications make you a competitive applicant for an Earth Science teaching job (7-12 middle or high school) in North Jersey?
Masters degree (in your field will be an edge over an Ed one), alos a brick and mortar will be preferred over many online programs. Additional cert in physics, chem or bio. IME, for high school level, special ed cert is not necessary or even preferred.

And you need to live in NJ or be willing to move there within one year.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:49 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Physics or Chemistry, even as an add on certification, is better than Biology, if you are aiming for 9-12. General science is all you need for middle school. Few schools are large enough to support a full-time Earth Science teacher.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:23 AM

Thanks for your answers however none of them directly answered my question specific to New Jersey.

I just got off the phone with the New Jersey Department of Education and a masters degree is not mandatory for this state.

All I have to do is teach for one year and my initial certificate becomes permanent.

best,

Old 07-17-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your answers however none of them directly answered my question specific to New Jersey.

I just got off the phone with the New Jersey Department of Education and a masters degree is not mandatory for this state.

All I have to do is teach for one year and my initial certificate becomes permanent.

best,
I teach high school science at one of the most competitive districts in NJ.

You asked what makes you competitive, not what the state requirements are.

FYI, a masters degree is not mandatory in NY state either.

http://eservices.nysed.gov/teach/cer...irementHelp.do

But as you said, masters are necessary to even get an interview in many districts. Well the same is true here.

But you will find that with the glut of teachers on the market these days if you want a job teaching science you need a masters degree to be competitive. For many of the better high schools they want you to have a masters in your field

Old 07-17-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I teach high school science at one of the most competitive districts in NJ.

You asked what makes you competitive, not what the state requirements are.

FYI, a masters degree is not mandatory in NY state either.

Search New York's State Certification Requirements for Educators.

But as you said, masters are necessary to even get an interview in many districts. Well the same is true here.

But you will find that with the glut of teachers on the market these days if you want a job teaching science you need a masters degree to be competitive. For many of the better high schools they want you to have a masters in your field
I come from New York State and in order to obtain your professional permanent license you must obtain your masters within 5 years.
The reason why I asked what makes one competitive in NJ is because coming from Long Island in order to have the slightest chance at a high school job you must have your masters, plus be dual certified, plus have your special ed. Since I am going to be living in New Jersey I wanted to know if it was as cut throat as Long Island.

I guess I should have been more specific in asking which masters degrees do most high school science teachers in NJ have? Thanks!

Old 07-17-2013, 12:20 PM

For example if one gets their masters in Environmental Studies in NYS it would be like a joke and a complete waste of money. Better than Environmental Studies is a masters in Environmental Science, however even that would make you inferior on Long Island because most science teachers if not all, pursue a masters in a different content specialty than they already are.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I come from New York State and in order to obtain your professional permanent license you must obtain your masters within 5 years.
The reason why I asked what makes one competitive in NJ is because coming from Long Island in order to have the slightest chance at a high school job you must have your masters, plus be dual certified, plus have your special ed. Since I am going to be living in New Jersey I wanted to know if it was as cut throat as Long Island.

I guess I should have been more specific in asking which masters degrees do most high school science teachers in NJ have? Thanks!
My graduate work is in Environmental Biology. Most high school teachers have their masters degrees in education, frequently from online programs. Having a masters in ones field, from a real brick and mortar, makes them more competitive.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:48 PM

kk thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching