Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 07:50 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,943,003 times

Advertisements

I came across this earlier today:

Thoughts on Education Policy: *Just* A Kindergarten Teacher

As I was reading the page, I began to notice how much of the authors thoughts echoed my own within the context of the show and applications to real life. For those who aren't familiar with How I Met Your Mother, it's a sitcom about a group of friends living in NYC during their prime. Each of the characters focuses on their career while transitioning out of early adulthood. One character is an architect who later becomes a professor, another is a lawyer, one is a journalist, one works in some corporation, and the character who is being discussed on that page is a teacher. In addition to what that person wrote on that page, the career choice for that character in the show is most always portrayed as something of a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 08:07 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Be a teacher because you're interested in it, because you have the not-altogether-common skill of being able to engage kids (not simply to entertain them, loads of people can do that) and guide them to think about things in a way that leaves them wanting to know more. Don't be one because you couldn't figure out another way to monetize your major. Nobody who is truly skilled at teaching thinks of it as "just" teaching. Only people who don't especially enjoy it feel that way.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:17 AM

Yeah I agree. The way it's portrayed in the show makes it seem as if she only chose it because it happened to be a job instead of a career choice.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:38 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Well, can't take cues from sitcoms...

Old 07-28-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Well, can't take cues from sitcoms...
Yes, but I do think these things reflect society and current cultural values at the time they're written.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:44 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,085,791 times
I agree that was pretty bad.

But that's the way society is. I'm sure there's K-6 teachers who make fun of garbagemen and shoe salesmen just like TV does. People always kick the dog who's smaller than them.

Are you aware that in the medical field, people who specialize and become radiologists, anesthesiologist, and plastic surgeons look down on people who 'just' became a general physician. Very common.

Also, despite the blogger's best attempts to praise the teaching profession, she didn't stick with it either.

Last edited by jobaba; 07-28-2013 at 10:54 AM..

Old 07-28-2013, 12:45 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,147,530 times
The annoying thing to me is that it assumes one becomes a kindergarten teacher through osmosis or something, otherwise where is Lily's reference to the extra training and classes she had to undertake to get that kindergarten certification after she completed her art history degree? My guess is that the writers thought one becomes a kindergarten teacher by just saying you want to be one and applying for a job.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:46 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,848,274 times
It happens within the ranks as well. Think how many times PE teachers get blasted by or become fodder for even their own co-workers.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:50 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,848,274 times
The article and reference remind me of the scene from Mr. Hollands Opus when he initially refers to teaching as a just another "gig". He also mentions how he got his teaching license so he'd have something to "fall back on". Unfortunately this is a stigma that was once partially true and has stereotypically maintained.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:00 PM

639 posts, read 1,123,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I agree that was pretty bad.

But that's the way society is. I'm sure there's K-6 teachers who make fun of garbagemen and shoe salesmen just like TV does. People always kick the dog who's smaller than them.

Are you aware that in the medical field, people who specialize and become radiologists, anesthesiologist, and plastic surgeons look down on people who 'just' became a general physician. Very common.

Also, despite the blogger's best attempts to praise the teaching profession, she didn't stick with it either.
Haha so true about the medical field. I'll add that doctors "look down" on pharmacists, physical therapists, and audiologists despite that these professions require 4 year doctorate degrees as well. OTOH, PhD medical researchers will "look down" on doctors claiming that they don't know the real science behind medicine.

I do believe teacher's get picked on too much for being a professional career. People for some reason think teaching is easy when in reality is very stressful being responsible for 20+ students, having them learn and pass all these new crazy standardized tests and stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching