Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 06:41 AM

24 posts, read 47,958 times

Advertisements

I'm not a proponent of charter schools, but I just saw a post on tumblr about Urban Prep Academies, two high schools located in the southside of Chicago. Its student bodies are comprised entirely of young black men, and every year the schools have a 100 percent graduation rate and all of their students are accepted to 4-year colleges/universities. I absolutely do not agree with public money going into private hands, but clearly there is something about the model of Urban Prep (and others) that is working. What do you think it is? (or do you think the success of these schools is overhyped and/or being misconstrued? if so, how/why?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 06:51 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Same is going on in NYC.

Success Academy in Harlem (NYC)
They boast an 85% pass rate for NYS Math tests.

Why ? Because they are not mandated to keep all students. They can expel.
They can operate like private schools and only keep those students that actually want to learn.

IMHO the public school system needs permanent alternative education for those students that are disrupting the learning of all the others. And I don't mean the occasional troublemaker. There are students with chronic problems that need alternative K-12 education.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:28 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhearted View Post
I'm not a proponent of charter schools, but I just saw a post on tumblr about Urban Prep Academies, two high schools located in the southside of Chicago. Its student bodies are comprised entirely of young black men, and every year the schools have a 100 percent graduation rate and all of their students are accepted to 4-year colleges/universities. I absolutely do not agree with public money going into private hands, but clearly there is something about the model of Urban Prep (and others) that is working. What do you think it is? (or do you think the success of these schools is overhyped and/or being misconstrued? if so, how/why?)
Probably the single best thing they do for these young men is provide a peer group of other young black males who value education and want to academically succeed. The public schools aren't allowed to segregate by behavior or ability, to the detriment of those who want to do well. If we ever want to seriously reform public education that is the route we would take instead of sacrificing everyone else for small gains to the the bottom.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:33 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

IMHO the public school system needs permanent alternative education for those students that are disrupting the learning of all the others. And I don't mean the occasional troublemaker. There are students with chronic problems that need alternative K-12 education.
Most teachers in public schools would agree with you 100%. Those whose view of education is only from a theoretical standpoint, or whose focus is strictly on social justice, are the ones who disagree.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:43 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,535,936 times
Yeah, they fiddle with the enrollment numbers to hide dropouts. Urban Prep selects students from over 31 zip codes in Chicago which is a pretty wide swath to select from. Looking at average ACT scores for Urban Prep shows that they are still below average for Illinois, but if all the kids are getting into college then it's all good. Since Charter school can actively get rid of the kids that don't want to learn they can better focus their teaching on the "good" kids. They don't have the racism problem that public school teachers appear to have.

Black kids more likely to be suspended; Obama targets bias

Old 04-17-2014, 08:09 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,277,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
Yeah, they fiddle with the enrollment numbers to hide dropouts. Urban Prep selects students from over 31 zip codes in Chicago which is a pretty wide swath to select from. Looking at average ACT scores for Urban Prep shows that they are still below average for Illinois, but if all the kids are getting into college then it's all good. Since Charter school can actively get rid of the kids that don't want to learn they can better focus their teaching on the "good" kids. They don't have the racism problem that public school teachers appear to have.

Black kids more likely to be suspended; Obama targets bias
It's difficult to be accused of racism when 100% of your enrollment is black and therefore 100% of those that you expel (whether that's 2 students or 200 students) also must be black.

As others here have correctly pointed out, 99.9% of these charter school "miracles" have to do with the way that their student enrollments are manipulated.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:43 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhearted View Post
There are some very good charter schools out there but there are some bad ones too. We should learn from the good ones.

The charter school I taught at had an exceptional K-8 program. Unfortunately, they did not retain enough of those students for high school so the high school did not compare. It was rather disappointing as a parent. I was so happy with the K-8 program but just could not bring myself to send my kids to the high school. It was a totally different program because they had totally different kids. Every year there were a significant number of new students and every year there was a high withdrawal rate. The student body was not stable. As a result the program wasn't stable.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:55 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
It's difficult to be accused of racism when 100% of your enrollment is black and therefore 100% of those that you expel (whether that's 2 students or 200 students) also must be black.

As others here have correctly pointed out, 99.9% of these charter school "miracles" have to do with the way that their student enrollments are manipulated.
No different than private schools.
The difference is that they can say "No" to an application.
The public schools can't do that..everyone is accepted.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:39 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,675,163 times
My nephew attends a charter school which is aggressively trying to get him out. He has Tourette's and some behavior issues other than the ticks.

The charter has met its match in that my brother has significant financial means and this particular charter school has violated the IEP and other sped laws. My brother has hired an attorney and experts.

I hope he sues the hell out of them. I'm so sick of charter schools that boast that they have better teachers, programs...whatever. If you can exclude the most troublesome students, of course you are going to get better results.

I was a huge proponent of charter schools when I first learned about them. But anyone who bothered to look at the research, sees the false promise.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:19 AM

11,637 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
My nephew attends a charter school which is aggressively trying to get him out. He has Tourette's and some behavior issues other than the ticks.

The charter has met its match in that my brother has significant financial means and this particular charter school has violated the IEP and other sped laws. My brother has hired an attorney and experts.

I hope he sues the hell out of them. I'm so sick of charter schools that boast that they have better teachers, programs...whatever. If you can exclude the most troublesome students, of course you are going to get better results.

I was a huge proponent of charter schools when I first learned about them. But anyone who bothered to look at the research, sees the false promise.
Is this a charter school in Las Vegas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching