Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 06:29 AM

358 posts, read 283,040 times

Advertisements

I plan on teaching and getting my certification in Social studies before/by June 2016 before my state raises its minimum GPA requirement in Sept 2016 and then I won't then be able to get any certification. Due to my 2.66 undergrad GPA, I must score 10% higher on the Praxis exam as "flexibility" for those who have GPA between 2.5-2.74. Also starting this year they added additional exam of basic reading, writing and math

I took the praxis exam this June after studying on and off buying study guide books from Barnes & Noble but failed the exam. I think I got score of 135-140ish. What advice do you have for me passing both exams now? I'm great at the topic but not the best test taker. I'm also worried about the math portion of the new exam because I suck at math and last time I had math was few years' ago. I really must pass both otherwise I'm screwed and by life long dream about becoming a teacher will basically be gone

Please any advice appreciated.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:02 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,674,513 times
Are you talking about the Pre-Praxis so that you will be excepted into a college of education?

If you don't mind my asking, why is your GPA so low? I would definitely encourage to retake your low grade classes to bring up your grades. I would also encourage you to take classes in the subjects from the Praxis where you are struggling. It's okay if you have stay in school a little longer. I started out taking classes below college level to begin and with a great deal of hard work, was able to go to get good grades in math, and I ended up teaching it.

I think struggling through school can be an advantage as a classroom teacher if you are willing to do what it takes to bring up poor grades. I hate to harsh here, but I think it needs to be said. Classroom teachers should not be cultivated from lower GPA students. You need to set a good example with high expectations for yourself and your students.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:57 PM

395 posts, read 374,568 times
2.66 is still close to a B- average. Does that GPA include any school of education classes? Keep in mind that many schools like the one I just graduated from require teachers to do all of their general education courses before being admitted into the school of education. That would leave many people with a C+/B- grade average. Especially when one of those semesters consists of Ancient History, Anthropology, Calculus, and Biology.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:14 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonerandsad View Post
I plan on teaching and getting my certification in Social studies before/by June 2016 before my state raises its minimum GPA requirement in Sept 2016 and then I won't then be able to get any certification. Due to my 2.66 undergrad GPA, I must score 10% higher on the Praxis exam as "flexibility" for those who have GPA between 2.5-2.74. Also starting this year they added additional exam of basic reading, writing and math

I took the praxis exam this June after studying on and off buying study guide books from Barnes & Noble but failed the exam. I think I got score of 135-140ish. What advice do you have for me passing both exams now? I'm great at the topic but not the best test taker. I'm also worried about the math portion of the new exam because I suck at math and last time I had math was few years' ago. I really must pass both otherwise I'm screwed and by life long dream about becoming a teacher will basically be gone

Please any advice appreciated.
The praxis not hard. I think you chose the wrong study book maybe and didn't study the right way.

First, use practice tests from the actual test makers. Do not use any practice tests or study materials from other publishers.

For the math, go through the test-makers study guide and learn all of it. ALL of it. Use index cards to memorize. Then go through each problem in a practice test, and take as long as you need to solve it. You can even look up information you have forgotten, like formulas. But you cannot look at the answer until you are sure you already know it, no matter how long it takes. After you've done that with a couple of tests, do a timed practice test and see how you do.

Do the same for the other sections, but you don't have to learn all of the study materials in the reading section. Just begin by taking your time on a couple of practice tests, and looking up information where needed (but not checking answers until you are sure you are correct, even if it takes all day). Then work on timed tests.

If you do that, you should pass, or at least you will know when you are ready to pass. For the writing, it's a standard 5 paragraph essay if there is one, so if you don't know how to write one you might need a tutor or some help with that.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:47 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,235,798 times
Work on your reading speed and stamina. Train your eyes to move quickly and make sure you don't move your mouth when you read. Doing so slows your reading speed significantly. Reading passages quickly gives you more time to reflect on each answer. You should also plan to double check your answers. That depends on reading speed. You also want to build up the time that you can read intently without taking a break. This can help keep you from becoming fatigued during the exam.

I agree with retaking your courses. That's a story you should be able to share with your future students. They need to see that the result is worth the struggle .

Old 09-30-2015, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrico_Fermi View Post
2.66 is still close to a B- average. Does that GPA include any school of education classes? Keep in mind that many schools like the one I just graduated from require teachers to do all of their general education courses before being admitted into the school of education. That would leave many people with a C+/B- grade average. Especially when one of those semesters consists of Ancient History, Anthropology, Calculus, and Biology.
Doesn't matter, they look at overall GPA only and my overall was 2.66 despite getting A's and B's at my English and education classes and most of my Social Sciences. I'm doing the alternate route, not traditional way.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
The praxis not hard. I think you chose the wrong study book maybe and didn't study the right way.

First, use practice tests from the actual test makers. Do not use any practice tests or study materials from other publishers.

For the math, go through the test-makers study guide and learn all of it. ALL of it. Use index cards to memorize. Then go through each problem in a practice test, and take as long as you need to solve it. You can even look up information you have forgotten, like formulas. But you cannot look at the answer until you are sure you already know it, no matter how long it takes. After you've done that with a couple of tests, do a timed practice test and see how you do.

Do the same for the other sections, but you don't have to learn all of the study materials in the reading section. Just begin by taking your time on a couple of practice tests, and looking up information where needed (but not checking answers until you are sure you are correct, even if it takes all day). Then work on timed tests.

If you do that, you should pass, or at least you will know when you are ready to pass. For the writing, it's a standard 5 paragraph essay if there is one, so if you don't know how to write one you might need a tutor or some help with that.
Interesting. Do you know which books I should get if you can google it for me?
Greatly appreciate it.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:53 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,674,513 times
Quote:
Greatly appreciate it.
You are joking, right?

Are we being punk'd?

Old 09-30-2015, 10:28 AM

211 posts, read 211,970 times
Quote:
Greatly appreciate it.
Are you sure that you'd like to be a teacher?

Old 09-30-2015, 11:06 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,663 times
In order to pass praxis exams, you must practice!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching