Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 08:28 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,770,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
I always noticed in high school that the students with poor grades got more opportunities to better their grades than the students with good grades.

As a good student, I was never given opportunities to make up homework, redo tests, or do extra credit to bring a B+ up to an A-. But I know a lot of students who had Fs and were allowed do all sorts of things to pull their F up to a C-.
That's because administration is doing anything in their power to eliminate Fs. I can't even really give Fs anymore unless the student just never comes to school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 08:45 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,562,824 times
Of course there is the equivalent of extra credit in real life. Not in every circumstance but it exists. It's taking on an extra project in order to boost your knowlege/workload /visibility to boost performance evaluation or promotion eligibility.

I see nothing wrong with having a policy (one way or the other) in writing which a student asking can be referred to. I think being rude or anything smart-ass isn't professional. And yes, before anyone says it,I understand students can be rude to you. You are the adult and teacher, be better.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:12 AM

20,779 posts, read 20,125,312 times
It is rewarding bad behavior and it is not fair to the other students who did their work on time.

It will just teach the bad apples that they will get away with it and they will do it in the next class again.

I got really frustrated at college when I studied and put in effort over several months and then others did some sweet talking or an hour extra work and got the same grade as I did.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:20 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,851,733 times
In actuality, people DO at times get the chance to compensate for some earlier action or lack of action in post grad life. Which is what extra credit, etc.is. As with extra credit, it's not guaranteed, is made available wholly at someone else's discretion, not owed anybody, and nobody should get ticked if the opportunity is not there to do so. You take your chances, but you can't be surprised if 11th hour pleas (in any context) don't work out.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:23 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,851,733 times
Oh, yeah, and being a smartass is never becoming in a teacher. There are always teachers who think it's a cool personal to cultivate, but it really just makes you look like a dick. You can be no-nonsense and have boundaries without being sarcastic and douchey.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:49 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,471,192 times
Default "What can I do to pull my grade up?"

Yeah, HS teachers in every subject must get that at least 20 times at the end of each semester.

Despite doing the math on the chalkboard and proving to the kids that at the end, if their average is below a certain percent, they can't pass the course, I'd always get a few geniuses who'd ask,

"I know I didn't do anything all semester and I flunked every test. What can I do in the next two days to pass this class?"

My response was always the same:

"Let me put it this way; if Albert Einstein magically appeared and took your final exam for you, you'd still flunk."

Sometimes, they'd reply, "Who?"

Old 05-18-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Oh, yeah, and being a smartass is never becoming in a teacher. There are always teachers who think it's a cool personal to cultivate, but it really just makes you look like a dick. You can be no-nonsense and have boundaries without being sarcastic and douchey.
You're right. But the students who ask this are usually a PITA the entire year. I keep my cool and maintain professionalism the entire year. It frustrates me that their grade wasn't a concern from August - May, but suddenly becomes a major concern. 99% of the time, I just say "sorry, you earned your grade."

Interestingly enough, failing students rarely ask for grade inflation. It's usually the C or D students who are smart, but lazy. They want to do just a little bit of work at the end to make up for the entire year of work they half-assed.

I've had a few B+ students ask what they can do to get an A. I'll gladly help them with a point or two as long as they showed effort the entire year.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:28 AM

45,791 posts, read 61,201,225 times
Reason number 4714 why I'm glad I retired. It got old, especially when the Administration would get involved.

My (former) school system required everyone be eligible for extra credit if it was offered. So what I did (actually I did this every quarter) was give the kids, all of them, the opportunity to turn in any missing assignments for that quarter for 1/2 credit. Which worked out well until we had to start giving 50% minimum for every assignment. That cycled in the year I went on sick leave 1st quarter so I ended up not having to deal with it.

Old 05-18-2016, 12:24 PM

Here is the MOST frustrating thing...

I had a student miss a test in February because she was sick. Administration allows (and our department) two weeks upon the student's return to school to make up any missing work. I reminded the student every class, and we eventually agreed on a time for her to come in after school to make it up. She never showed up. I put a zero in for the test.

She comes in this morning and says that the test is causing her to have a D and wanted to know if she could make it up (even with a B on the test, she'd still be at a low C). I said no and reminded her that we had agreed on a time back in February for her to make it up. She chose not to show up. I was more than generous by allowing her two weeks.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:05 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,310,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
You're right. But ...
As a pro, you stand a better chance of helping ALL the kids take something productive away from your class by keeping your cool 100% of the time. Even the C/D kids will learn respect if you are respectful to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Here is the MOST frustrating thing...

I had a student miss a test in February because she was sick. Administration allows (and our department) two weeks upon the student's return to school to make up any missing work. I reminded the student every class, and we eventually agreed on a time for her to come in after school to make it up. She never showed up. I put a zero in for the test.

She comes in this morning and says that the test is causing her to have a D and wanted to know if she could make it up (even with a B on the test, she'd still be at a low C). I said no and reminded her that we had agreed on a time back in February for her to make it up. She chose not to show up. I was more than generous by allowing her two weeks.
This is just a typical experience. Not at all unusual. She missed her chance. End of story.

As long as you reminded her in a professional way instead of making a snotty "time machine" type comment you referred to in the OP ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching