Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 01:57 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,161,009 times

Advertisements

You can go into the corporate training sector. I know of an ex teacher that is very successful and travels around the country training people in the corporate world. I think he used to work for Comp USA (now defunct here in Dallas) but I know that he was really loving it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 09:51 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,133,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willdufauve View Post
What are high school teachers qualified to do for a living when they leave teaching?
Almost anything they want to do...

Imagine: you have all that experience creating, brainstorming in your mind, researching, organizing, planning, selling, performing, encouraging, perfecting, negotiating, staying on track, managing individuals, managing teams, forbearing, serving, enjoying.

So you get to remember what you wanted to do when you were five, or 11. Maybe now's the time... or now's the time to adapt that desire with all those abilities you honed over the years, and create a path that will make your heart sing

Remember that no matter what path we choose, Life will always show us the best it has to offer us from that path. I wish you joy!

Old 04-08-2012, 07:05 AM

2 posts, read 9,177 times
If you have more than one degree but they are all ed realated you are screwed. I have a BA in English but a usless MEd in Instructional Technology which is useless in ed and outside education. I am fed up with being blamed for every problem in education from 12 yr old moms to ESL kids barely arrived in the states not being able to pass the state test given only in English when they haven't had time to learn the basic words in English to the head ache the Governor has that day. In today's society in the US teachers are seen as lower than scum at the bottom of the swamp. It's better to say you work of BP than to say you teach. At least if you sold oil people kiss your rear for free gas. Teachers just get fyou looks and then finger from students, parents, and society.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:07 PM

624 posts, read 1,250,382 times
Didn't you become a teacher because you did not want to or couldn't work? hahahahahaha

Old 04-09-2012, 06:07 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,389,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willdufauve View Post
B.A, M.A, M.Ed., certifications in three states...after the end of this school year, no more.

What are high school teachers qualified to do for a living when they leave teaching?
I made a good living as a corporate trainer when I was in my 20s and I don't even have a degree in education or a teaching license. This could be a great path for you. My sister makes close to six figures doing it for a major software company.

I'd call all of the major corporations in your area and ask about any openings. You could always volunteer to teach an adult-learner class in your community if you need some experience.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:43 PM

49 posts, read 114,818 times
I went from teaching high school social studies to bookkeeping for a CPA. I hate my job, but it pays more than teaching.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:02 PM

448 posts, read 853,481 times
Wow, strange that I came across this thread this evening. I was just having this discussion on the way home from work. I have been teaching for twenty years, working with students with special needs, I also have a masters in educational counseling. Making that leap to a new profession is a scary thought and I just don't know if I can do it. Although, I have to admit, teaching is definitely a different animal than when I started.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:57 PM

1 posts, read 6,499 times
Yes, I too believe that it's time to move on. I'm 50+ and I feel positive about my future, I have to be. To make myself marketable. I have been toying with the idea of working part-time and going to school full time to study something in a technical field. I don't want to get a master's, I don't see how that would benefit me. I am looking for a field that isn't saturated, any ideas??

Old 01-14-2013, 07:07 PM

21,087 posts, read 29,314,764 times
I am thinking it doesn't matter. Another year in the classroom and I am a zombie anyways.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:42 AM

21,087 posts, read 29,314,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Time View Post
Yes, I too believe that it's time to move on. I'm 50+ and I feel positive about my future, I have to be. To make myself marketable. I have been toying with the idea of working part-time and going to school full time to study something in a technical field. I don't want to get a master's, I don't see how that would benefit me. I am looking for a field that isn't saturated, any ideas??
I am seriously looking at historic preservation. Something I love and seems to have opportunities. What could be better for an old fart like me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching