Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2017, 04:26 PM

21 posts, read 17,612 times

Advertisements

I would like teacher input.

My daughter turned 7 in May 2017 and recently started 2nd grade. It's been about 3 weeks and her teacher emailed me today stating that my daughter is easily distracted in class and takes too long to do her worksheets in class.

Last year she did the same thing and was a talker. This time it appears that she isn't gabbing, just taking too long to do what she needs to do.

I noticed both last year and so far this year that her focus isn't good. I have one child and have not been around many children her age so I don't know if this is normal or not. Her dad and I have to take turns standing over her to do her homework and force her to focus on the tasks in front of her.

Once focused, she usually knows the material or we can walk her through it fairly easily, but it is a real challenge to get her to stay focused. Contrastly, if she is watching a program on tv or her tablet, she will sit still and focus like a hawk.

This seems like a discipline issue and that her dad and I have not done enough to find and use focus techniques.

I asked the teacher for suggestions on how to teach her focus and am awaiting a reply.

At home we are about to try a technique that we heard on NPR that was used for Kindergarteners at a school in NY where they had 3 minutes of time every morning before class where they laid on their backs, placed a stuffed animal toy on their stomachs, breathed deeply and focused on the toy rising and falling.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 06:49 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,594,265 times
Does she do any sort of sport or physical activity?

Old 10-13-2017, 03:38 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumi_thoughts View Post
At home we are about to try a technique that we heard on NPR that was used for Kindergarteners at a school in NY where they had 3 minutes of time every morning before class where they laid on their backs, placed a stuffed animal toy on their stomachs, breathed deeply and focused on the toy rising and falling.

Actually this sounds like an excellent thing to try. She certainly sounds like she could have inattentive AD/HD but I wouldn't rush into meds without trying other things first. The only reason I even mention it though is b/c it doesn't sound like a discipline issue and is not something she should be punished for.

Other things to try--make sure she gets some exercise every day--indoor trampolines are good b/c they can be used in any weather and they help with balance, which can also help with attention problems. Make sure you limit the sugar--kids with ADHD tend to be little sugarholics. Take away the soda and between meal snacks. Omega-3 and B vitamins help a lot.

My credentials on this? I'm a special ed teacher and I also have AD/HD. The things that have helped me the most are the fish oil and mindfulness meditation, which is what the above exercise is.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:35 PM

46 posts, read 53,171 times
What strategies have her teachers tried to help her? Have they tried pairing her with quieter, more focused students? Giving her a comfortable work space away from other kids? Providing an option to wear noise blocking headphones while she works? Playing quiet instrumental music in the classroom during seat work times (which really could help the whole class focus)? If they haven't tried any strategies to help her, they should. It's perfectly okay to suggest them.

Have you asked your daughter (at a relaxed time) why she thinks she takes so long? It's quite possible she has no idea which is totally fine - but she may find the work boring because it's too easy or have convinced herself the work is too hard for her -- or there might be kids she sits with that really bother her - or she might feel that she does have trouble focusing in general. Kids minds can work in mysterious ways. If not, you could suggest they try these.

I also agree with stepka that this does not sound like a discipline problem and that your daughter shouldn't be made to feel like she's being punished. I agree that making sure she gets daily exercise, curbing her sugar intake, and encourage those mindfulness practices (the breathing exercise) are all good ideas -- as is helping making sure she gets a good night's sleep every night. Fatigue can really affect attention spans. Regarding the possibility of ADH/D, if you see that she has difficulty focusing in every environment (like at home as well as at school) and you try these interventions and they still don't seem to work, then I would recommend you seek professional advice -- Especially if your daughter is feeling frustrated about it.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:31 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumi_thoughts View Post
I would like teacher input.

My daughter turned 7 in May 2017 and recently started 2nd grade. It's been about 3 weeks and her teacher emailed me today stating that my daughter is easily distracted in class and takes too long to do her worksheets in class.

Last year she did the same thing and was a talker. This time it appears that she isn't gabbing, just taking too long to do what she needs to do.

I noticed both last year and so far this year that her focus isn't good. I have one child and have not been around many children her age so I don't know if this is normal or not. Her dad and I have to take turns standing over her to do her homework and force her to focus on the tasks in front of her.

Once focused, she usually knows the material or we can walk her through it fairly easily, but it is a real challenge to get her to stay focused. Contrastly, if she is watching a program on tv or her tablet, she will sit still and focus like a hawk.

This seems like a discipline issue and that her dad and I have not done enough to find and use focus techniques.

I asked the teacher for suggestions on how to teach her focus and am awaiting a reply.

Do not exclude the possibility that your student is 100% in the right. If the work level is too easy, she will be bored and distracted. If the type of work does not excite, she will be bored and distracted. If the teacher is boring, she will be bored and distracted.

To observe for a day or two would be provide great information that you do not currently have.

S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching