Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 10:46 AM

221 posts, read 318,411 times

Advertisements

I'm a high school math teacher, teaching honors algebra 2 and mainstream algebra 2. Honors is not the issue here- while I do see non-academic cell phone use in those classes, those kids are better at putting it away when I tell them, and regulating their own use so they are still able to participate and engage in the day's activities.

My mainstream algebra 2 classes however...totally different beast. These are 11th and 12th graders. Algebra 2 is the last required math class to take for graduation, so the seniors (which make up about half of each class) in this class have either already failed it once or they failed a previous math class that put them behind a year. Cell phones are my biggest headache. They are CONSTANTLY on their phones. Our school "policy" is basically, phones shouldn't be out in class. Yet there are no consequences when not followed and teachers get very little support when fighting the issue. The daily battles in class over it are DRAINING. I'll tell kids to put it away, they will often set it down but mere minutes later, they are back on it. I will not ask for a student to give me their phone because that leads to bigger power struggles that I just can't deal with when the entire class is watching and waiting to see my next move. I feel like I will always lose that one. "No, I will not give you my $1000 phone, and you can't make me." The failure rate of algebra 2 in our school is out of control. Our team is doing everything we can to make the class more engaging, more project-based, more interesting...anything we possibly can. The problem is, these students are so attached and addicted to their phone that they literally won't DO anything we try to come up with. I know based on what I described, there are bigger issues at hand than the phones (trust me, I know this!) but I feel like if I had a better quality way of dealing with this issue, other things might fall into place.

Do any high school teachers have similar issues? Do you have solutions that you have tried and worked? Or even tried and failed? Our third trimester starts in a few weeks and our class rosters get shaken up when that happens. I would love to have an action plan in place to try for the remainder of the year, but I'm feeling stuck for ideas.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 02:16 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,776,492 times
I'm sorry to say that without administration support, it's a losing battle. I'm 'old fashioned' in that I believe that there are consequences for one's actions and people need to be responsible for their actions. I realize that this is not the way of the world anymore. Maybe it should be?

Anyway, if a student is failing due to cell phone use, let them fail the class. If they don't graduate with their friends . . . well, who's to blame except for themselves. It's a tough lesson, but one that is better to learn earlier in life than later.

In my classes, I address cell phone use on the first day when I go over the syllabus. My classes are at the community college lever, which is composed of adults, but also recently graduated high school students. Maybe what I do is can be adapted to your grade level.

There are two aspects of cell phone use, texting and talking.

For texting, I tell my students that in the front of the classroom, "all I see is your hands in your laps, your head bowed, and a smile on your face. We won't have any of that in here!" They understand the sexual connotation and it usually draws laughter among the class. Texting is usually not a problem.

For voice calls, I tell my students that when their phone rings, we will all stop whatever we are doing and will listen in to your conversation . . . and we better hear a "I love you too." when you hang up. (You can imagine my embarrassment when my own phone rang one evening during class.)

Again, maybe this approach can be adapted for your use. Instead of confiscating their phones, is there a neutral spot somewhere in the classroom that is somewhat secure where students can place their phones upon entering the room? Maybe a file folder with envelopes for each student? You're really not 'taking them away', just not allowing them inside from the get go.

But as I said, without administration support, I'm afraid it will be a frustrating waste of time and effort.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 02-24-2018, 04:56 PM

You're right on many levels:

-That is not the way of the world anymore. The politics of education (at least at my school) often involve treading lightly so as not to hurt anyone's feelings. Consequences are few and light and students get away with just about everything having not learned anything from the situation. For example, cheating is rampant. I've caught more cheaters this year than I have my entire career teaching (this is my 6th year). I continue to follow procedure for cheating (write up a referral, contact home, talk to the student). The only thing that happens is the student gets to retake the test. I've caught many kids multiple times.

-When kids fail due to cell phone use (or when kids fail at all), it often comes back to the teacher. What could I have done to help them pass? What didn't I do? And then in some cases, what can I do to fix the grade after the failure has happened?

-Sadly, at the high school level it is not limited to texts and phone calls (which both happen). It's snapchat. It's instagram. It's youtube. It's music. It's Netflix. It's game apps. They are literally doing all those things. All day. In every class. They are so tuned out of the world and tuned into their device. It's frustrating and sad all at the same time, to know what they're missing out on and interaction skills that they are losing. I guess this has turned into a whole different issue

-Admin support is everything.

But thank you for the ideas!

Old 02-24-2018, 05:03 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,960,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHeart22 View Post
I'm a high school math teacher, teaching honors algebra 2 and mainstream algebra 2. Honors is not the issue here- while I do see non-academic cell phone use in those classes, those kids are better at putting it away when I tell them, and regulating their own use so they are still able to participate and engage in the day's activities.

My mainstream algebra 2 classes however...totally different beast. These are 11th and 12th graders. Algebra 2 is the last required math class to take for graduation, so the seniors (which make up about half of each class) in this class have either already failed it once or they failed a previous math class that put them behind a year. Cell phones are my biggest headache. They are CONSTANTLY on their phones. Our school "policy" is basically, phones shouldn't be out in class. Yet there are no consequences when not followed and teachers get very little support when fighting the issue. The daily battles in class over it are DRAINING. I'll tell kids to put it away, they will often set it down but mere minutes later, they are back on it. I will not ask for a student to give me their phone because that leads to bigger power struggles that I just can't deal with when the entire class is watching and waiting to see my next move. I feel like I will always lose that one. "No, I will not give you my $1000 phone, and you can't make me." The failure rate of algebra 2 in our school is out of control. Our team is doing everything we can to make the class more engaging, more project-based, more interesting...anything we possibly can. The problem is, these students are so attached and addicted to their phone that they literally won't DO anything we try to come up with. I know based on what I described, there are bigger issues at hand than the phones (trust me, I know this!) but I feel like if I had a better quality way of dealing with this issue, other things might fall into place.

Do any high school teachers have similar issues? Do you have solutions that you have tried and worked? Or even tried and failed? Our third trimester starts in a few weeks and our class rosters get shaken up when that happens. I would love to have an action plan in place to try for the remainder of the year, but I'm feeling stuck for ideas.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!
Do you ever ask them to use their phones for learning? Is there any student in the class who does not have a cell phone?

There are many ways to use technology in learning, even in math.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Do you ever ask them to use their phones for learning? Is there any student in the class who does not have a cell phone?

We are a 1:1 school, every student is issued a school-owned iPad. So students that don't have phones (which there are some), use the iPad in similar non-academic ways. I believe Snapchat is the only thing blocked on their iPads.

We try to incorporate the technology for academic purposes. Doesn't work so great when they so easily can be distracted by other things.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:28 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,675,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post

This idea that we should be using technology in education is actually counterproductive. Today's students have been exposed to technology since kindergarten. There are many uses of technology in education such as terrific online education programs and instant access to factual information. What the OP described is an example of how cell phones have become a distraction and hindrance to education from middle school through college.

Today's students lack reading ability and the ability to pay attention because we have allowed cell phone (and other device) use in schools because of this belief in using technology in learning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHeart22 View Post
We are a 1:1 school, every student is issued a school-owned iPad. So students that don't have phones (which there are some), use the iPad in similar non-academic ways. I believe Snapchat is the only thing blocked on their iPads.

We try to incorporate the technology for academic purposes. Doesn't work so great when they so easily can be distracted by other things.
It sound like if your were able to ban cell phones, the students would simply use their iPads instead.

I've seen some teachers that have a location in the classroom where all cell phones must be left. One was shelves and others have been a something purchased with pockets for each phone. The perfect location would allow students to also charge their phones. I've seen at least one teacher put up a sign saying phone charging is not permitted in her classroom.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:35 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,086,119 times
Every desk in my classroom has a rectangle taped off. Students are required to have their cell phones out, on, and in that square at all times during class. It is much easier to regulate what you can see than what is hidden. They often are given opportunities to use their phones to aid them in learning (our computer carts are garbage). Most of the time I don't care if they quickly check a message during individual work time. But there are also times such as during lectures where they know they cannot use their phones. When they are using their phones at the wrong times or in the wrong ways I confiscate them. First time I hold on to the phone until after class. Second time it goes to the dean for their parents to pick up.

Honestly I have very few problems in this area.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
When they are using their phones at the wrong times or in the wrong ways I confiscate them. First time I hold on to the phone until after class. Second time it goes to the dean for their parents to pick up.

Honestly I have very few problems in this area.
Have you ever had students refuse to hand it over? If so, how do you deal with that?

Our school struggles big time with minor-major behavior issues. The kids run the school, so it is very hard for teachers to enforce anything.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:16 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,475,707 times
My high school uses these and students are required to deposit their cell phone in the slot designated for them upon entering class:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Honey-Ca...hoCVE8QAvD_BwE

Old 02-26-2018, 08:58 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,465,685 times
Get a cell blocker. Problem solved.

If the school board or principal asks,just explain that education requires full attention . Lesson learned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching