Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 04:45 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,428,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Why would it be responsibility of watch wearers to make sure that non-watch wearers know the time?

This is very strange. . .
People aren't wearing watches very much anymore, because the time is on their phone. So if their phone is off, they don't know the time. The only watches they wear are smart watches, which I made them turn off also.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:44 PM

10,778 posts, read 5,694,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
People aren't wearing watches very much anymore, because the time is on their phone. So if their phone is off, they don't know the time. The only watches they wear are smart watches, which I made them turn off also.
Oh, I fully understand that many aren’t wearing watches. The issue is, why has it become your responsibility to inform them of the time? Your students are adults, aren’t they?

Old 03-11-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Oh, I fully understand that many aren’t wearing watches. The issue is, why has it become your responsibility to inform them of the time? Your students are adults, aren’t they?
Well, I think the idea is to not make things harder for them than necessary. So I was thinking how I would feel in their place. Actually, if I were them I would have planned ahead and worn a regular watch, knowing I would have to shut off my phone. But I have decades of experience in this world and I know how to plan ahead, and they are just kids.

So, there you are, with your phone off and no watch. And you have an hour and twenty minutes to do the test, and there is no way to know how much time has passed. That would stress me out.

And there was one simple solution, that I thought of, which was to write the time on the board.

Old 03-11-2018, 07:37 PM

102,234 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Quote:
Well, I think the idea is to not make things harder for them than necessary. So I was thinking how I would feel in their place. Actually, if I were them I would have planned ahead and worn a regular watch, knowing I would have to shut off my phone. But I have decades of experience in this world and I know how to plan ahead, and they are just kids.

So, there you are, with your phone off and no watch. And you have an hour and twenty minutes to do the test, and there is no way to know how much time has passed. That would stress me out.

And there was one simple solution, that I thought of, which was to write the time on the board.
This scenario is ringing a vague memory-bell. I've been in test situations, where there was no clock, and the proctor wrote the time on the board every 15 or 20 minutes. You're definitely not alone in doing that.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:08 PM

10,778 posts, read 5,694,213 times
Quote:

The highlighted portion is the key. After the first time, they will learn to wear a watch if they want to know what time it is during a test when they aren’t allowed to access their phones.

Treat your students fairly, with respect, and like the adults they are. That will earn you their respect in a way that coddling them like children never will.

Old 03-12-2018, 04:17 AM

Quote:
The highlighted portion is the key. After the first time, they will learn to wear a watch if they want to know what time it is during a test when they aren’t allowed to access their phones.

Treat your students fairly, with respect, and like the adults they are. That will earn you their respect in a way that coddling them like children never will.
They probably don't own a regular watch and would have had to buy one, as you probably know. You are just searching for ways to make me feel I did something terribly wrong. This is just a game for you.

Old 03-12-2018, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This scenario is ringing a vague memory-bell. I've been in test situations, where there was no clock, and the proctor wrote the time on the board every 15 or 20 minutes. You're definitely not alone in doing that.
There is nothing wrong with trying to make it a little less stressful for them.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:32 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,548,988 times
Thread closed due to constant bickering.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.