Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 07:07 PM

45,489 posts, read 60,718,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Oh really? DEEPLY bizarre?

We have a link to a list of general objectives. How do you translate general objectives into specific questions?
If you don't know how to do that, which is basic teaching practice, you shouldn't be in the classroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 07:16 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,431,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You still haven't answered the question I posed earlier about whether you are the only instructor or if the department has supplied you with the objectives.
I am using the text book the department chair uses. I get the objectives from the text book. But I do NOT expect the students to memorize the text book, that would be STUPID.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
I am using the text book the department chair uses. I get the objectives from the text book. But I do NOT expect the students to memorize the text book, that would be STUPID.
Jesus, you still don't understand.

Tomorrow, ask the chair for the course objectives. You're right, the students don't have to memorize the book, in fact I'd bet there are things in the book that your official and adopted objectives eliminate.

The book is the guide, you then bring in your outside knowledge and information to fill in the corners.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:21 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,756,788 times
Quote:
Oh really? DEEPLY bizarre?

We have a link to a list of general objectives. How do you translate general objectives into specific questions?
Want me to do your job for you? Not surprising I suppose.

The words specific and general have different meanings. Units of study include specific objectives and I have already given examples of how professional educators carefully write those questions. If you choose not to, that is up to you. Thank goodness it is only an intro course I guess.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:

You seem to have a hard time understanding what is written. No one is suggesting you just take the text book objectives. Seriously, go back, reread, never stated. Then go get the objectives from the department chair. You do have one right? Other people teach this course correct? Than if you are in a remotely decent school they will have a list of objectives.

If they don't, write your own objectives, than write test questions that directly measure those objectives. I do not know why this is so hard for you to comprehend.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Want me to do your job for you? Not surprising I suppose.

The words specific and general have different meanings. Units of study include specific objectives and I have already given examples of how professional educators carefully write those questions. If you choose not to, that is up to you. Thank goodness it is only an intro course I guess.
Your goal is to be confusing and condescending. You intentionally misread what I write. You pretend to not know the meanings of the words specific and general. You know very well that course objectives are usually general, but exam questions are specific.

You are playing STUPID games and it's boring.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:

You seem to have a hard time understanding what is written. No one is suggesting you just take the text book objectives. Seriously, go back, reread, never stated. Then go get the objectives from the department chair. You do have one right? Other people teach this course correct? Than if you are in a remotely decent school they will have a list of objectives.

If they don't, write your own objectives, than write test questions that directly measure those objectives. I do not know why this is so hard for you to comprehend.
Especially since we know that anybody can teach.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:

It's hard for me to comprehend because it makes no sense AT ALL.

There are no specific test questions that directly measure a general objective.

This is an utterly stupid argument.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Your goal is to be confusing and condescending. You intentionally misread what I write. You pretend to not know the meanings of the words specific and general. You know very well that course objectives are usually general, but exam questions are specific.

You are playing STUPID games and it's boring.
Nope. Objectives are almost never general. The current unit I am teaching has over 16 SPECIFIC objectives.

For example: SWBAT describe the Ekman spiral and detail its implications for ocean water circulation on a global and local scale including implications for climatology.

That is specific, the questions about it are also specific. That one objective translates into 5 proficiency level multiple choice questions, one proficiency level open ended and one master level open ended.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
It's hard for me to comprehend because it makes no sense AT ALL.

There are no specific test questions that directly measure a general objective.

This is an utterly stupid argument.
See above post. And try, really hard, not to call people stupid when you do not understand something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching