Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 01:55 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,572,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Does it just cost too much to put cameras in classrooms? That would solve a lot of problems.

There are parents in my child's school that are purely crazy. I don't know how teachers deal with them. I used to know a young man with mental disabilities. He was confronted at work about stealing (he was likely guilty) and because it upset him so much, he told his dad that his employer had pointed a gun at him during the confrontation, and threatened him with it. I knew the employer and it was just crazy, the guy never pointed a gun at him and there were no guns there. There were also witnesses to this that said he never pulled a gun. Nonetheless, he had to answer to the police about it. This was before it was common to have cameras everywhere.
I really don't know why they don't. I tried but couldn't get permission to put one in my own classroom at the school I just left. Their concerns were for privacy with my having control of what the camera captured. If the school put them in then they would control the content.

I think there is a fear that admins would abuse the footage by looking for anything they don't like to build a case against a teacher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 02:29 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,403,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I was a special needs educational assistant from 2000-2004 in a working-to-middle class community, and I never even heard of anything even close to such things happening in my school as I have read in this thread! .
You never heard of people making false accusations? That defies credibility.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:00 PM

19,850 posts, read 9,412,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
You never heard of people making false accusations? That defies credibility.
I said, "at my school".

Old 03-21-2018, 03:49 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,403,407 times
Quote:
I said, "at my school".
These things could have gone on at your school without you knowing about it.

But your school is just one of many thousands of schools.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:08 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,255,988 times
I was teaching in a psychiatric hospital when a student made allegations against me-I was out nearly 7 months with pay.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:51 AM

1,517 posts, read 993,786 times
Quote:
For some reason today, administrators side with kids over teachers these days.
Quote:
It appears that administrators tend to side more with parents and students even if it is not warranted (such as the child has a documented history of lying or the parents are extremely overprotective),
Quote:
And they wonder why they can't keep teachers. The number who have quit in the last year is insane but admins don't seem to think they're doing anything wrong.

Guys, one word: LAWSUIT. You know how people are nowadays. Administrators, districts etc. are afraid of being sued and the resulting bad PR so they give in, and the teacher gets thrown under the proverbial bus. The parent and the student have administration over a barrel.

How little things have changed since I was in school 20 years ago.

Quote:
Does it just cost too much to put cameras in classrooms? That would solve a lot of problems.

It can.

Besides the SURVEILLANCE (not "security", the word is "surveillance") cameras themselves you have to factor in the infrastructure (cabling), monitoring facilities (room somewhere in the building full of TV sets, switches, DVRs and such), maintenence and spares, plus you have to pay somebody hourly to monitor the system. In a little town school with maybe only a dozen or so classrooms it may only be a few hundred dollars but in a large urban high school campus with up to almost a hundred rooms, a mile of hallways plus portables (like mine was) it can get prohibitively expensive. Big department stores and office buildings can afford dozens and dozens of cameras and the supporting infrastructure because they have money to buy them.

Most school districts barely get enough funding to afford typing paper.

Old 03-23-2018, 04:47 PM

807 posts, read 1,034,923 times
Quote:
I am just very thankful that so many wonderful people continue to do such necessary work, and I am just aghast that the great majority of parents and other people don't appreciate teachers more.
That's because you value education. Many, many people do not. Even though the facts state that the educated make more money, are healthier, and happier. Don't try to tell that to someone that is not educated, they'll just cry fake news or that statistics can be manipulated. Half of the people in this world have below average intelligence. Not much you can do to convince them that education is important.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:51 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,640,387 times
Quote:
I was a special needs educational assistant from 2000-2004 in a working-to-middle class community, and I never even heard of anything even close to such things happening in my school as I have read in this thread! I am wondering if things have gotten so bad in less than 20 years, or if I was just lucky.
You're just lucky.

Both I, one of my parents, and my now-husband were all working in the field during this time, and all of us know of cautionary tales from our respective schools.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:52 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,844,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
Guys, one word: LAWSUIT. You know how people are nowadays.

Haven't heard of this product in 2-3 decades. LOL!

Last edited by Oldhag1; 03-24-2018 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: Fixed formatting

Old 03-24-2018, 04:56 AM

45,494 posts, read 60,718,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
Guys, one word: LAWSUIT. You know how people are nowadays.

Haven't heard of this product in 2-3 decades. LOL!
Interchangeable with copy paper.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 03-24-2018 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: Fixed formatting in quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching