Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 04:08 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Now what exactly do you mean by the bolded?
This is actually occurring. A teacher writes up a student for some type of behavior that is against school policy. Student is called to principal's office for a chat and is given a lollipop.

The following incident occurred around two weeks ago. A teacher overhear the use of the F-word in the hall between classes. The student was told that language would not be tolerated. The student told the teacher he can say whatever he want to say and said, "f**k, f**k, f**k, f**k." The student was written up by the teacher. He was called down to the office and no punishment was given. I didn't ask if he got a lollipop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 06:09 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
Some examples:

1. Out-of-school suspensions. These are seen as days off by students. It's a joke because these students overwhelmingly don't value education, so any time away from school is a reward for them.

2. Providing endless "modifications" and "accommodations" for students who are given the "EBD" designation often because adults in their lives (at home and at school) refuse to hold them accountable for their poor behaviors, set meaningful limits and thus harm them by insulating them from the natural consequences of this poor behavior.

3. Reinforcing manipulative behavior by students. Weak, lily-livered administrators allow students and their parents to intimidate them into forcing teachers to give in the demands of students or to overlook/minimize misbehavior. Teenagers quickly ascertain they have the upper hand and can control the adults.
I would often hear parents say that an out of school suspension was just giving them a free day off. My answer to that was -- it's a day off if YOU (the parent) lets it be a day off. Do your job.

After 33 years in education, I never saw "endless modifications and accommodations". If that's what you see, you're in a lousy school system that has beaucoup funds to throw around. (Or you don't know what you're talking about).

Old 05-23-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
This is actually occurring. A teacher writes up a student for some type of behavior that is against school policy. Student is called to principal's office for a chat and is given a lollipop.

The following incident occurred around two weeks ago. A teacher overhear the use of the F-word in the hall between classes. The student was told that language would not be tolerated. The student told the teacher he can say whatever he want to say and said, "f**k, f**k, f**k, f**k." The student was written up by the teacher. He was called down to the office and no punishment was given. I didn't ask if he got a lollipop.
Or maybe you don't know the whole story.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:45 PM

2,448 posts, read 892,755 times
Quote:
I would often hear parents say that an out of school suspension was just giving them a free day off. My answer to that was -- it's a day off if YOU (the parent) lets it be a day off. Do your job.

After 33 years in education, I never saw "endless modifications and accommodations". If that's what you see, you're in a lousy school system that has beaucoup funds to throw around. (Or you don't know what you're talking about).
Or, and I'll just throw this out as a possibility, you were the one in the "exceptional school." Just a thought.

And I don't believe for a nanosecond that you ever told a parent to "do your job."

Tootles.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:11 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,081,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post

Honestly... If that is the first offense a warning seems reasonable, especially if there are extenuating circumstances.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
Or, and I'll just throw this out as a possibility, you were the one in the "exceptional school." Just a thought.

And I don't believe for a nanosecond that you ever told a parent to "do your job."

Tootles.
Do you think exceptional schools don't have discipline problems?
DO you think exceptional schools don't have in-school suspensions?
Do you think exceptional schools don't have suspensions?
Do you think exceptional schools don't have expulsions?
Do you think exceptional schools don't have students arrested on campus?

If that's what you think, then you have no understanding of exceptional schools.

And you're right I didn't tell a parent do "do your job". What I did say...every time I heard the "you're just giving him a vacation" routine was: "Then it's your job to make it not a vacation".

Old 05-23-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Or maybe you don't know the whole story.
I was told by the teacher who wrote up the student. She is very frustrated, has health issues, and doesn't think she can make it another year.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
Honestly... If that is the first offense a warning seems reasonable, especially if there are extenuating circumstances.
I agree. As a teacher and as an administrator, my policy was LDA -- what is the least drastic action that needs to be taken to solve and issue.

I worked with many wonderful teachers. But I also had teachers who advocated that students be permanently expelled -- and yes, they meant expelled for chewing gum. And in some cases, those teachers chewed gum in school themselves.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
Do you really think it was the first offense?

Old 05-23-2018, 08:32 PM

2,448 posts, read 892,755 times
Quote:
Do you think exceptional schools don't have discipline problems?
DO you think exceptional schools don't have in-school suspensions?
Do you think exceptional schools don't have suspensions?
Do you think exceptional schools don't have expulsions?
Do you think exceptional schools don't have students arrested on campus?

If that's what you think, then you have no understanding of exceptional schools.

And you're right I didn't tell a parent do "do your job". What I did say...every time I heard the "you're just giving him a vacation" routine was: "Then it's your job to make it not a vacation".
That's an ample list of strawmen.

I was, of course, injecting some sarcasm into the discussion. Nary a single school, certainly not any public schools, are immune from any of those things. What in the world that has to do with the assertion that we reward various negative behaviors and that student behavior is getting worse is beyond me.

Kudos to you for the response you delivered to parents. That isn't the norm, unfortunately, which is part of the point I was making with regards to student behavior.

Student violence on teachers is in the United States is prevalent and costly. Both the American Psychological Association and the U.S. Department of Education have investigated it and the costs are pretty staggering. Here's part of the APA's findings: http://www.apa.org/education/k12/tea...timization.pdf

I'm especially amused by the implications by a few others here that classrooms in which such behaviors occur must be operated by deficient teachers. There are fantastic teachers who can't even manage it sometimes, as great as they are, in some schools and some classrooms because of the depth and extent of the student issues and school culture problems. I'd love to place some of these haughty hucksters in front of a class up here in the notorious Milwaukee Public School System. They wouldn't last ten minutes in front of the class.

It's a pattern I've noted time and again throughout my life: people who talk big about their abilities, be it in sports, in business, in education, whatever - usually amount to about a tenth of what they portray to others. If you have to imply or just tell me how good you are at something, you're usually not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching