Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2019, 06:53 AM

4,276 posts, read 5,931,553 times

Advertisements

Mostly curious as there appears to be some nefarious reassignment of responsibilities at my wife's employer. i always 'assumed' the Proctors were employed for the day by the ACT or SAT companies. All my recent professional certification exams have been via computerized testing centers, so the Proctors at these sites are employed by the Center and were Grad Students staring at surveillance camera monitors looking for questionable activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 07:02 AM

2,675 posts, read 1,262,760 times
What I have seen are teachers, friends or other adults who are willing to sacrifice their mornings to proctor and make some cash. I have proctored both (my school is the testing site) - sometimes for pay, sometimes as a favor.

Old 04-23-2019, 05:22 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,941,289 times
I spent years proctoring the SAT's. They pay was decent for giving up an early Saturday morning. In one district, they ran the PSAT's much like the SAT's (Saturday morning) and we were compensated by the school district for those hours.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:42 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,081,769 times
In CO all Juniors are required to take the SAT and teachers are required to proctor and do not receive additional pay

Old 04-25-2019, 08:32 PM

558 posts, read 433,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
In CO all Juniors are required to take the SAT and teachers are required to procter and do not receive additional pay
Alabama requires the ACT. Everyone except the juniors has an E-learning Day. Teachers procter it. No pay because it is part of our job.

For the other administrations, the administator chooses and we get paid.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSusana View Post
Alabama requires the ACT. Everyone except the juniors has an E-learning Day. Teachers procter it. No pay because it is part of our job.

For the other administrations, the administator chooses and we get paid.
Man, I wish we had an "E-learning day" we make kids come and do "study hall" and then squeeze in classes after testing in order to fill our instructional/contact minutes.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:27 PM

393 posts, read 409,039 times
Some teachers; the responsible, reliable, punctual ones are made to administer and proctor the ACT during the test. The irresponsible, unreliable, dilatory "teachers" supposedly supervise the hall during the test.

Old 04-30-2019, 01:04 PM

45,330 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krug View Post
Some teachers; the responsible, reliable, punctual ones are made to administer and proctor the ACT during the test. The irresponsible, unreliable, dilatory "teachers" supposedly supervise the hall during the test.
The latter teachers are also supposed to give the testing teachers a break (5 minutes) during testing, especially the 4 to 5 hour PARCC and High School Assessments. They even **** that up.

We had one teacher who everyone treated like a goddess. Well she did everything she could to get out of testing and be a break teacher. We'd start testing and she'd go out for breakfast and never come back. One year she did testing, went on her short break, and took her entire 90 minute planning period.

We didn't do SAT or ACT testing at my school, just AP. No teachers were involved in proctoring those, just me (AP Coordinator), the Testing Coordinator and the Counselors. We had one of those that had to be cut from testing due to worthlessness.

Old 04-30-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The latter teachers are also supposed to give the testing teachers a break (5 minutes) during testing, especially the 4 to 5 hour PARCC and High School Assessments. They even **** that up.

We had one teacher who everyone treated like a goddess. Well she did everything she could to get out of testing and be a break teacher. We'd start testing and she'd go out for breakfast and never come back. One year she did testing, went on her short break, and took her entire 90 minute planning period.

We didn't do SAT or ACT testing at my school, just AP. No teachers were involved in proctoring those, just me (AP Coordinator), the Testing Coordinator and the Counselors. We had one of those that had to be cut from testing due to worthlessness.
Well that's one nice thing about having all students show up that I never thought of... Teachers who aren't proctoring where I teach get to sit in the cafeteria with the entire 9th/10th classes while the Juniors take tests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching