Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2019, 09:12 PM

3 posts, read 1,153 times

Advertisements

Hello! I really want to use more communicative activities inside the classroom but there are almost 50 students inside the classroom and they love to talk also they do not behave very well. what can I do in order to make them talk and still be able to control the class. ( I am studying English pedagogy by the way and this is my last year)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 09:20 PM

4,388 posts, read 4,248,959 times
Have you thought about dividing the class into 8 groups and having them prepare and present together? I found that most of the students were excited about working with each other and motivated to earn a good grade. Are your students motivated to earn grades? Are the parents supportive regarding conduct issues?

Old 05-18-2019, 09:33 PM

I am scared to make them work in team because my mentor teacher is too teacher centered and will criticize me if I do that. I do believe that if I make them work cooperatively in order to earn good grades they will do it but thats the problems I am scared of the actions that my mentor teacher can do! and finally I do not believe parents are interesting at all about what their kids do

Old 05-19-2019, 05:49 PM
HN3

16 posts, read 8,988 times
That is a VERY big class for one teacher.

Could you give us some more details such as:

-grade level
-subject; is it English?
-do students and teachers have access to technology: Chromebooks, Google classroom, overhead projector and screen like a Hitachi or Epson LCD or LED projector so you can project what's on your computer screen

Old 05-21-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HN3 View Post
That is a VERY big class for one teacher.

Could you give us some more details such as:

-grade level
-subject; is it English?
-do students and teachers have access to technology: Chromebooks, Google classroom, overhead projector and screen like a Hitachi or Epson LCD or LED projector so you can project what's on your computer screen
its seven grade
its English
just projector because my mentor teacher do not allow me to use technology

I really struggle with this because I want students to love English but my teacher is super "teacher center"
so she does not allow me to do more engaging and interactive activities

Old 05-21-2019, 04:24 PM

4,388 posts, read 4,248,959 times
Can you give some examples of the kinds of exercises that your mentor teacher is asking you to do?
What exposure do your students have to English outside your classroom? Can you assign them homework that would be more engaging that might be based on any exposure to English in their daily lives? What is their native language? Are you expected to speak English to them exclusively in class?

Sorry about all the questions. I really want you to be successful at both meeting the expectations of your mentor teacher and also at being able to be more communicative in class. I'm going to spend my summer trying to plan more communicative activities. I also plan to base a lot of them on current events, as well as topics of cultural interest. I've got a few things that I've already tried with some success.

Seventh grade is really difficult. I've always said since observing a 7th grade class that if you could successfully teach 7th grade, then you could solve the problems of the world. Hang in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching