Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2019, 09:00 AM

412 posts, read 276,761 times

Advertisements

What really annoyed me is assignments where I had to ask parents about my developmental stages when I was an infant to school age, or to bring a baby picture to school. It got more annoying when every year my parents were contacting teachers about this for my younger adopted siblings, because they don't have access to people who knew them at those ages, and we found it pretty insensitive that a teacher would poke at a traumatic experience such as that. I am hoping this is all but done with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 01:57 PM

20,130 posts, read 16,197,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan777 View Post
What really annoyed me is assignments where I had to ask parents about my developmental stages when I was an infant to school age, or to bring a baby picture to school. It got more annoying when every year my parents were contacting teachers about this for my younger adopted siblings, because they don't have access to people who knew them at those ages, and we found it pretty insensitive that a teacher would poke at a traumatic experience such as that. I am hoping this is all but done with.
I have never made such an assignment, nor known of a colleague who did.

Old 05-22-2019, 02:03 PM

45,515 posts, read 60,746,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I have never made such an assignment, nor known if a colleague who did.
The only class I could see it in might be Health as part of a growth unit or Child Development that has a preschool component as part of the class (like my former school had) to focus the students on what to expect from the Pre-K kids coming in.

I would maybe ask the kids as part of class discussion if they'd ever been told when they started to walk/talk/dress themselves/etc. when I did the human development unit in Psych. I'd tie those into the average vocabulary for 5 year olds or high schoolers or whatever.

Old 05-22-2019, 02:19 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 19 days ago)

35,672 posts, read 18,045,481 times
Our kindergarten does a thing where it's a child's special week, and they bring in a poster about themselves, including a baby photo, and photos of their family, pets, tell about their interests and hobbies. And they get special privileges during that week.

There was a little girl who was in foster care, who didn't have those things, and that was handled by making a poster of what she does now and I think she got to bring in a pet hamster or something.

I understand there are difficult paths some kids have to travel - one child had lost his big brother, so during the activity where you draw your family he was torn about whether to include the brother. It's hard.

But the pleasure all the kids - even the one in foster care - derives from being the "special" kid the whole week, IMHO, outweighs the fact that some kids have a different path they're traveling on than others. As long as it's handled in a positive, affirming way.

Old 05-22-2019, 02:33 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,167,163 times
I have never heard of such an assignment either and I have a couple of kids who recently finished the 12th grade.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:24 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,952,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan777 View Post
We never saw any assignments like that, but when the kids were in elementary school and had a day where they were the student of the week, they made a poster that included different things about themselves (favorite movie, favorite book, birthday, etc.) In 4th grade when they graduated elementary school, they did bring in a baby picture and the kids and parents tried to guess which picture went with which student.

None of my kids or grandkids had to ask their parents about their growth and development though.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:15 AM

In health class in 7th grade, we were going through stages of development, and had to ask our parents about ours and bring a picture in from each stage. What irritated me back then was more that I was born in the late 80s, so it wasn't like we had digital files as digital cameras were brand new when I was in middle school, so we had to dig a bit through some old scrapbooks, and I didn't really like involving my parents in my school work if I was able to avoid it, because I was fairly independent. What I remember though is another student asking if they don't have any baby pictures what are they supposed to do, and the teacher said to just put a picture of another baby in and don't tell him it's not really them. The whole project was a joke, as I also didn't really want to be reminded of many of the traumatic moments of my past and have to write about them.

I have several adopted siblings who simply just didn't have access to that information, and were given assignments of autobiographies or asked to bring in baby pictures or something similar, and my parents had to regularly e-mail the teacher letting them know they can't do that assignment and that it wasn't very considerate to just assume that all students would be able to obtain that information.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
We never saw any assignments like that, but when the kids were in elementary school and had a day where they were the student of the week, they made a poster that included different things about themselves (favorite movie, favorite book, birthday, etc.) In 4th grade when they graduated elementary school, they did bring in a baby picture and the kids and parents tried to guess which picture went with which student.

None of my kids or grandkids had to ask their parents about their growth and development though.
This was different because it was open ended, where they got to choose to bring in those or other items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching