Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 06:32 PM
miu miu started this thread

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times

Advertisements

There is a movement in my NH town to increase the pay of our two preschool teachers to match the pay of our elementary school teachers. The preschool teachers are not members of the grade school teacher union.

This seems like crazy talk to me. Grade school teachers have a much more challenging job. They have to deal with disrespectful students as they try to teach them academics. In addition, grade school teachers have to spend additional time grading tests and homework. Plus the grade school teachers have to pay union dues, and the preschool teachers don't. Preschool teachers get the kids when they are at their most innocent and amiable. There is a lot of naptime too.

IMO if these teachers get a raise, the grade school teachers will want raises too, since their work is harder and more challenging.

Your thoughts?

I am really happy for the parents of preschoolers who are delighted with their teachers, but doing their job well is not enough reason to reward them with a raise, which in the long run is going to increase my property taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 06:47 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Are the preschool teachers part of the public school system? In other words, are they school employees? Are they certificated, meaning do they have their teaching degrees and certification in Early Childhood Education?

If the answer to the above questions is yes I'm surprised they're not already on the pay scale.

In order to be an accredited preschool then the teachers are going to have to adhere to state standards for instruction which means they will have a curriculum and will have to follow scope, sequence and pacing. So, not easier.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:00 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,172,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Are the preschool teachers part of the public school system? In other words, are they school employees? Are they certificated, meaning do they have their teaching degrees and certification in Early Childhood Education?

If the answer to the above questions is yes I'm surprised they're not already on the pay scale.

In order to be an accredited preschool then the teachers are going to have to adhere to state standards for instruction which means they will have a curriculum and will have to follow scope, sequence and pacing. So, not easier.
I agree.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:54 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,184,054 times
If preschool teachers have four year degrees, then they need to be paid as elementary teachers with four year degrees are paid.

You do not have a good understanding of the importance of qualified teachers, whatever the level.

Old 06-08-2019, 09:38 PM

12,853 posts, read 9,067,991 times
Curious question: Are you a teacher? If so elementary, high school or other? Please understand I'm not asking this to challenge your assessment, but to add to my mental database of perspectives on pay.

Full disclosure: I'm not, nor am I married or related to a teacher. But I do find it fascinating how teachers and non teachers approach the pay question.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:53 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,184,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Curious question: Are you a teacher? If so elementary, high school or other? Please understand I'm not asking this to challenge your assessment, but to add to my mental database of perspectives on pay.

Full disclosure: I'm not, nor am I married or related to a teacher. But I do find it fascinating how teachers and non teachers approach the pay question.
I don’t know if you are addressing me or the OP.

I am not a teacher. But there are multiple teachers in my family.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:05 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
There is a movement in my NH town to increase the pay of our two preschool teachers to match the pay of our elementary school teachers. The preschool teachers are not members of the grade school teacher union.
Do you just look down on childcare because it's a female-dominated occupation?

Old 06-09-2019, 08:33 AM

10,237 posts, read 6,327,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

I don't think the OP understands the difference between day care and preschool. Children today are taught how to read and write in preschool, plus simple addition. It isn't all play time as it was in the past.

My daughter has her degree in Early Childhood Education. Her certification states she is qualified to teach from preschool through 3rd grade. So if there were two openings in a school she should take the 3rd grade position because it will pay more?

What about a Head Start (Federal Program) Teacher? Paid the same as a Day Care Teacher? Oh, no. I have worked as a TA in Head Start. I was required to have a minimum of an Associates Degree for that. It was not a "glorified" babysitting position.

Old 06-09-2019, 10:04 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,932,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I don't think the OP understands the difference between day care and preschool. Children today are taught how to read and write in preschool, plus simple addition. It isn't all play time as it was in the past.

My daughter has her degree in Early Childhood Education. Her certification states she is qualified to teach from preschool through 3rd grade. So if there were two openings in a school she should take the 3rd grade position because it will pay more?

What about a Head Start (Federal Program) Teacher? Paid the same as a Day Care Teacher? Oh, no. I have worked as a TA in Head Start. I was required to have a minimum of an Associates Degree for that. It was not a "glorified" babysitting position.
Actually, play based preschools teach as much or more than any that are trying to *teach* reading and math with worksheets.
Play-based learning is real learning.

What is a Play-based Curriculum? | Imagination Station PreSchool

https://www.naeyc.org/resources/pubs...ce-guided-play

https://education.cu-portland.edu/bl...ased-learning/

Quote:
children learn well when they are mentally active, engaged, social, and can make meaningful connections to their lives, which are all characteristics of play.

Old 06-09-2019, 12:16 PM

12,853 posts, read 9,067,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I don’t know if you are addressing me or the OP.

I am not a teacher. But there are multiple teachers in my family.
Sorry for the confusion, but I meant the OP. Reason I asked is it seems in general teachers prefer a unified pay scale for all teachers whereas non teachers seem to prefer various forms of differentiated pay scales. Since the OP suggested differentiated pay between pre school and elementary teachers, I was curious about which perspective they were coming from. In full disclosure I think a differentiated pay scale would help teachers justify pay increases to the taxpayer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching