Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 09:29 AM

412 posts, read 275,538 times

Advertisements

I have only been a substitute outside of my degree in education, so you'd know more than me, which is why I was asking, I guess. I just wish there were more options available for students who don't need their hand held all the time, such as the option to have some classes not having a lecture hall meeting, and filling their schedule with labs and study halls for such classes. In high school math, I just did all the modules at my pace and got A's and still understood the material. I e-mailed back and for to the teacher but to simply turn in journal assignments about the week and never once asked for help on how to solve a particular problem, and this was before YouTube.

So, I can see some students not being able to handle that, but some don't need lectures and example after example on solving simple Algebra problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 04:15 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,083,328 times
Direct instruction has a higher Hattie effect size than video. Students might be able to learn this way but it is not a more effective method. I also suspect there might be more to these classes that you are unaware of that involves more teacher involvement even if that involvement is not lecture.

Old 10-03-2019, 09:54 AM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan777 View Post

My philosophy is more of the old Thomas Jefferson method of raking a few good leaves out of the rubbish. Sitting through the teacher lecturing made school more difficult for me, because I was not engaged and the learning was boring. It got easier when I went to school online and got a list of tasks to complete by the end of the quarter, and I just did them one by one. I got all A's and a couple B's my last year and half of high school. I wish we could have something like that for other students who don't need unnecessary lectures. However, I realize not everyone can be as smart as I am.
And how has your past experience ended up in terms of success in your current life goals?

Old 10-04-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And how has your past experience ended up in terms of success in your current life goals?
Well, it taught more independent problem solving skills in which I use to develop software applications, and I graduated high school with honors, as well as have an associate's, bachelor's, and half-way to a master's degree.

Old 10-04-2019, 03:54 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan777 View Post
I have only been a substitute outside of my degree in education, so you'd know more than me, which is why I was asking, I guess.
I cannot imagine an educator training program that didn't introduce a variety of strategies for instruction, as well as explore learning theory and developmental stages and the implications of that on how people acquire information. It's really the core of the job, isn't it?

Anyway, just as fuel for thought:
https://www.langevin.com/docs/50_ins...al_methods.pdf

Old 10-04-2019, 07:04 PM

We did learn such content. I just didn't find teaching according to those was the kind of career I wanted. My downfall in a lot of life dilemmas is that I don't really change much to conform to what others expect.

Old 10-26-2019, 05:08 PM

472 posts, read 347,924 times
I can see both sides to this and am for the teaching doing this. On one hand, it allows students to be more independent, which is a strength in teaching students about real life. Things have to be done, completed at a certain time, like in real life. We usually don't have someone telling us how we should budget, pay bills, or where and when we buy groceries. These things have to be done by a certain period but as adults we can figure out how to plan for our duties However, at this age, it may cause the ones who don't want to learn to put everything off. There are a lot of online high schools and colleges now days, which I think is great. Online schools require students to be more independent. As long as this teacher has frequent due dates, as well as the required daily work to be completed, it's good. This teacher should be checking up frequently as well and checking for understanding. I hope as well, the instructor goes around and is open for any questions and helps those who need further instruction.

With day to day lecturing, students have to stay on track, and have a harder time moving forward or staying behind if the material is too rigorous. This way, students can be a bit more at their own pace and explore ways of independent learning.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:46 PM

If I end up deciding to be a teacher, I may end up deciding to go with technology. I think this would be the class for this.

Old 11-05-2019, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 282 times
After reading through this, I'm wondering how you would go about implementing independent learning in an educational setting. It could be a state thing or a specific school, but I'm pretty sure the curriculum and standards are usually not chosen by the actual teachers where I am. Instead, they are decided by an individual "curriculum designer". If a teacher wanted to attempt to show the benefits of this method of education, what are some small ways they could implement it without going too far away from the curriculum?

Old 11-08-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaley View Post
After reading through this, I'm wondering how you would go about implementing independent learning in an educational setting. It could be a state thing or a specific school, but I'm pretty sure the curriculum and standards are usually not chosen by the actual teachers where I am. Instead, they are decided by an individual "curriculum designer". If a teacher wanted to attempt to show the benefits of this method of education, what are some small ways they could implement it without going too far away from the curriculum?
They could make a series of videos of lectures that match the curriculum standards and have the students review them at their pace in labs, and come to the instructor for questions.

Come to think of it, this actually probably is more practical than the way it is currently done, because some students don't need to sit and listen to the instructor with the rest of the class, as they don't need example after example, and to listen to the teacher read power point slides to understand it. I also was able to speed up the videos to make the teacher talk at twice the speed to whip through them faster.

We make students spend equal lecture time in every individual class when some classes they may need more time, and other classes just come easy to them and they don't need to spend so much time on.

I remember in 2nd grade getting a lecture from the teacher about attitude asking why we can't just do the rest of the problems ourselves when we understood how to subtract multi-digits, and didn't need to sit there and listen to all her "borrowing sugar" metaphors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching