Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 02:07 PM

403 posts, read 1,581,837 times

Advertisements

In the Keys, Elementary schools are not teaching their children cursive anymore!!

I was just so surprised to her this, I asked about it and they said that they want the children to learn about computers. So now just because we have computers, we're just going to be lazy and give up writing all together. What is happening to our schools. How are our children going to write their own signatures once they get older. My grandkids learned cursive and that was just a few years ago!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 02:16 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,163,870 times
Okay, but here's a question:

What is the fundamental purpose of learning cursive? Why is it not sufficient to have students learn to write legibly?

Old 04-24-2008, 02:33 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,071,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Wallace View Post
Okay, but here's a question:

What is the fundamental purpose of learning cursive? Why is it not sufficient to have students learn to write legibly?
How else can one write a love letter? Certainly not in print!

Old 04-24-2008, 02:47 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,740,877 times
At my daughter's high school she can't even take a basic keyboarding class (due to funding, apparently)...which makes all those new computers at her disposal rather ridiculous.

No, many schools do not stress (or teach) cursive writing, penmanship, spelling, basic math skills, or anything else deemed too outside the realm of technology. Who needs good handwriting or spelling when you can simply use Spell Check and utilize a pretty font? And why bother learning multiplication or division when the teacher demands the kids use a calculator?

Then again, she isn't being taught anything not found on the state's compulsory and idiotic annual test. Same situation here in Indiana as it was back in Washington state.

For the record, her cursive is appalling.

Our educational system disgusts me.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:59 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,990,268 times
Cursive was a waste when I was forced to learn it. My father who went to catholic school/university could always print faster than I could write legibly in cursive. Today it definitely is a poor use of any student's time. There's simply no point to it. As long as you learn to efficiently write letters in print form there no great loss of culture nor history, so I say, let's move forward with eliminating cursive writing from public education. There's other things much more important for our children to learn about at young ages... physical science just to name one (why the fundaments of Physics is finally taught only in US high schools is a mystery to me).

Old 04-24-2008, 03:02 PM

576 posts, read 1,819,560 times
I personally think learning to write cursive is a waste of time. After about 3rd or 4th grade, I've completely forgotten it. What is the point in learning something you'll just forget? Years ago when I took the SAT, we had to copy an agreement in cursive, and everyone in the room struggled with it. Time should be spent on more useful things.

...but then again, I think our education system is broken beyond repair, and we're doomed in the future.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:14 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,163,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
How else can one write a love letter? Certainly not in print!
If a dude writes a love letter in cursive...

...odds are, some people will think he's writing it to another dude.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:34 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,962,517 times
If my husband wants to ever write a love letter to me, he knows to NOT do it in cursive - I'd never be able to read it!

Old 04-24-2008, 04:53 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,675,786 times
Is cursive harder to learn for bilingual students? Maybe that's the reason?

Old 04-24-2008, 06:22 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,768,301 times
Funny my son just started cursive and he writes it beautifully! He is in 2nd grade; and his cursive is much nicer than his printing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching