Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 01:19 PM

45,570 posts, read 60,845,911 times

Advertisements

Here's the bottom line: at the end of the day it won't matter what teachers want. It never does. The decision will be dictated by parents (who, let's be honest, don't want their kids at home nor do they want the responsibility of supervising any distance learning), the business community and elected and appointed officials.

Teachers will be told what to do, they'll salute, and then they'll complete the task. If some die, well that's just the cost of doing business in public education.

If any teacher pushes back they'll be run out of the classroom by enhanced supervision and administrative harassment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2020, 04:11 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,861,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngprodigy21 View Post
I've been following as many news outlets as possible, and all I keep reading and hearing is that Covid is going to get worse in the fall.
Over the last week all daily death rate projections in South Carolina have been eclipsed by roughly 30% of the original projection. The variance has been between 12-26 deaths each day with the last few days being around 20-24 per day. All projections indicate SC's death rate will level off throughout August BUT then double each day between September 1st and November 1st. So short answer yes.

Old 07-14-2020, 04:41 PM

4,389 posts, read 4,250,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Here's the bottom line: at the end of the day it won't matter what teachers want. It never does. The decision will be dictated by parents (who, let's be honest, don't want their kids at home nor do they want the responsibility of supervising any distance learning), the business community and elected and appointed officials.

Teachers will be told what to do, they'll salute, and then they'll complete the task. If some die, well that's just the cost of doing business in public education.

If any teacher pushes back they'll be run out of the classroom by enhanced supervision and administrative harassment.
In normal times I would agree with you. But with the impending shortage of teachers, do you think most administrators would risk losing good people with no replacements? I expect there to be a shortage of subs too, so that would figure in.

Old 07-14-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
In normal times I would agree with you. But with the impending shortage of teachers, do you think most administrators would risk losing good people with no replacements? I expect there to be a shortage of subs too, so that would figure in.
Yes I do. With so many people demanding refunds on their property taxes because schools are closed and teachers aren't working (I guess doing distance lessons doesn't count as "teaching" although those same people complaining sure do count their time as work when working from home) school boards will tell their administrators to "deal with it". So it won't be administrators making the final decision but elected (and some appointed) officials setting policy.

Old 07-16-2020, 12:30 AM

6,646 posts, read 4,346,690 times
Quote:

Don't think for a minute that the quality of instruction won't be severely impacted by teachers that don't want to be there for fear of catching the virus and dying. Think morale, motivation, attitude. Basic organizational behavior tells us teacher performance (in many instances) is not likely to be good. Hence, the quality of instruction would likely be much higher with remote learning in this situation.

Old 07-16-2020, 12:49 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,090,974 times
Quote:

Over the last few years we've seen huge increases of teacher strikes... The teachers might not win but this will be a fight.

Old 07-16-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
Over the last few years we've seen huge increases of teacher strikes... The teachers might not win but this will be a fight.
No it won't. Teachers will roll over just like always because it's "for the children". Parents, administrators and public officials will guilt the **** out of them. How my former system is handling it is 100% remote for the first semester but teachers have to report to the school to present the lessons, which will be delivered as a combination of real time and pre-recorded. "Robust and full time" was the phrase used.

And don't think for a minute that there won't be school boards that will start eliminating teachers. First up will likely be the Specials (PE, Music, Art) followed by core academic (ten sections of Alg I done remotely. The logic will be that one teacher instead of two can do that. It's already being talked about and has happened in a few places).

Keep in mind that 30 states outlaw teacher strikes. This would be the perfect time to get rid of strikers in those states (see previous paragraph).

Old 07-16-2020, 03:12 PM

4,389 posts, read 4,250,729 times
Quote:
No it won't. Teachers will roll over just like always because it's "for the children". Parents, administrators and public officials will guilt the **** out of them. How my former system is handling it is 100% remote for the first semester but teachers have to report to the school to present the lessons, which will be delivered as a combination of real time and pre-recorded. "Robust and full time" was the phrase used.

And don't think for a minute that there won't be school boards that will start eliminating teachers. First up will likely be the Specials (PE, Music, Art) followed by core academic (ten sections of Alg I done remotely. The logic will be that one teacher instead of two can do that. It's already being talked about and has happened in a few places).

Keep in mind that 30 states outlaw teacher strikes. This would be the perfect time to get rid of strikers in those states (see previous paragraph).
Ours is one of those where teacher strikes are banned. The last one was when I was doing my student teaching back in 1985 and the county where I was placed won an injunction that kept my district open while many other student teachers found themselves scrambling to get new placements.

The superintendent announced this morning that our secondary schools would be A/B hybrids with the grouping being underclassmen/upperclassmen in face-to-face classes in core classes. Everyone without a medical exemption will wear masks. Parents may opt for all-virtual, but they will be locked in for the term to the choice they make. Nothing was mentioned about teachers having the choice to teach remotely.

It may be time for me to check into retiring. I'd like to go at least another 5 years, but at this point, my spouse's opinion will mean as much as mine, as covering COBRA payments will be difficult. The irony is that I may retire and be rehired to teach virtually, making those payments manageable.

I won't have much time to decide.

Old 07-16-2020, 04:11 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,090,974 times
Quote:

Well, I will let you know how it goes. Right now my district is saying 5 days a week in the building at 100% capacity masks required for us but optional for students... So yeah, we will be taking action.

Last edited by history nerd; 07-16-2020 at 04:22 PM..

Old 07-16-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
Well, I will let you know how it goes. Right now my district is saying 5 days a week in the building at 100% capacity masks required for us but optional for students... So yeah, we will be taking action.
What state are you in?

What do you mean you're going to take action? You've been sitting at home on your ass eating bonbons since March while these poor children were cast adrift. They miss school. Some are suicidal. Do you want that on your conscience? What are parents supposed to do? They have to go to work to pay for your $100K salaries, no cost health care and gold plated pensions. The problem is that teachers know nothing about the real world and just suck at the public trough. Well no more. I pay high taxes and you work for me and by God you're going back to work the way WE say.

That's the way it will be in a lot of places and, in fact, has already started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching