Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2020, 05:22 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,966,979 times

Advertisements

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/pi...t43=a&geat43=a

They're pre-ordering for it and SO and I are going to try it! It seems fabulous, especially for all those out there who find regular masks uncomfortable, too hot, etc. It's pricey, but I'd like to emphasize that it says:

- designed to be worn all-day

- feels cool to the touch for as long as you wear it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2020, 06:59 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,295,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post

They're pre-ordering for it and SO and I are going to try it! It seems fabulous, especially for all those out there who find regular masks uncomfortable, too hot, etc. It's pricey, but I'd like to emphasize that it says:

Problem is anything with much airflow is not going to have much protection. The N95 and KN95 are the best for this.

Old 07-23-2020, 11:30 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,695,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post

These were recommended to me as well. Last time that I checked, they were out of stock until mid-August.

Old 07-23-2020, 11:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Faceshield should be added (keep (4) clean masks and faceshields on hand for exchanging during the workday.) And lots of handcleaner for changing PPE.

Old 07-24-2020, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Faceshield should be added (keep (4) clean masks and faceshields on hand for exchanging during the workday.) And lots of handcleaner for changing PPE.
The best option is a combination face shield (or close-fitting goggles) and KN95 (these can be ordered online - they are expensive at about $4 a piece (disposable). Just read today that most cloth masks provide little protection. Cloth masks need at least 3 layers to offer a decent degree of protection; still not nearly as good as the N95 or KN95.

Old 07-24-2020, 07:45 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,012,579 times
There are plenty of cloth masks that are effective and comfortable.

Mine has 3 layers (with a washable filter cloth insert)

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...s-and-yourself
Researchers say a tight-weave 100% cotton is a good bet. That's because at the microscopic level, the natural fibers in cotton tend to have more three-dimensional structure than synthetic fibers, which are smoother, says Christopher Zangmeister, a researcher at the National Institute of Standards and Technology. That 3D structure can create more roadblocks that can stop an incoming particle, he explains.

Think multiple layers. Several studies have found that masks made of multiple layers are more effective at blocking small particles.

A good option: a mask made of two layers of a tight-weave fabric with a built-in pocket where you can place a filter, says May Chu, an epidemiologist at the Colorado School of Public Health who co-authored a paper published on June 2 in Nano Letters on the filtration efficiency of household mask materials.
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/acsnano.0c05025
Filtration Efficiencies of Nanoscale Aerosol by
Cloth Mask Materials Used to Slow the Spread
of SARS-CoV‑2

Old 07-24-2020, 10:47 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
The Spousal Unit went with the Outdoor Research option-

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/e...ask-kit-283298

Old 07-24-2020, 12:26 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,966,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
These were recommended to me as well. Last time that I checked, they were out of stock until mid-August.
Well, the sooner you order, the sooner it probably comes. I ordered it on Wed., July 22nd & it said: Expected Arrival: Tue, 7/28 - Thu, 7/30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The Spousal Unit went with the Outdoor Research option-

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/e...ask-kit-283298
Never ran across these. I'll bookmark the site just in case, thanks.

Old 07-24-2020, 01:32 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Problem is anything with much airflow is not going to have much protection. The N95 and KN95 are the best for this.
I've been wondering about the KN95s. Are they really good. They seem to be very available now.

Old 07-24-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I've been wondering about the KN95s. Are they really good. They seem to be very available now.
They are the Chinese version of the N95. You need to check the manufacturer - the FDA says some of them do not block out what they say they do (although, unfortunately, not sure I currently trust what they say). If they are made by the right manufacturer, they are the next best thing to the N95. In fact, some medical professionals are now wearing the KN95 since there is still a shortage of the N95.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching