Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2020, 11:12 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,253,645 times

Advertisements

So, an independent private school, started in 1776... really got "woke" in 2020.

My kids are 3rd generation @ this school.

Received a notification that the current Headmaster will be changing his title to "Head of School"...because any word that contains "master" is evil.

I have one child left in this school (out of 3). He's currently a 7th grader/mid term and he won't be at this school for his 8th grade -HS years.

Talk about caving to BS.

So pathetic.

Old 12-19-2020, 01:00 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,400,913 times
So you're mad at a place for finally deciding to not be racist anymore? And you'll be yanking your kid out of this school because of it? Yeah, talk about being pathetic.

Old 12-19-2020, 03:37 AM

27,141 posts, read 13,434,325 times
The top private schools in the UK usually belong to the Headmasters' and Headmistresses' Conference

The Headmasters' and Headmistresses' Conference (HMC)

Whilst the top UK Universities usually belong to the Russell Group, which was named after the groups first meeting at what is now the Kimpton Fitzroy London Hotel, Russell Square in London but was then known as the Russell Hotel.

Russel Group -Our universities

Old 12-19-2020, 06:44 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
So you're mad at a place for finally deciding to not be racist ...
It's not racist (or sexist). It's anachronistic.

Anachronism can be charming.
Ignorant dismissal never is.

Old 12-19-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
It's not racist (or sexist). It's anachronistic.

Anachronism can be charming.
Ignorant dismissal never is.

So if some day your city decides to change what they call their police "chief" and fire "chief", will you be moving your family out of that city?

You can't just run away (or make your kids run away) every time someone decides to make an insignificant change that you don't like.

Old 12-19-2020, 07:47 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,266,362 times
Quote:
So you're mad at a place for finally deciding to not be racist anymore? And you'll be yanking your kid out of this school because of it? Yeah, talk about being pathetic.

What is even more pathetic is people who don't understand word etymology and automatically think that "headmaster" has anything to do with race.

Old 12-19-2020, 08:01 AM

1,225 posts, read 632,726 times
I graduated from a private school in Park Slope, Brooklyn. I looked at their website, and sure enough they list the headmistress as “Head of School.” Very liberal, and oh so woke.

Old 12-19-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
What is even more pathetic is people who don't understand word etymology and automatically think that "headmaster" has anything to do with race.
It DOES have to do with race. It may not have when the word was first invented, but it certainly does now. Like it or not, the word "master" IS directly and will forever be connected to slavery. I understand that the word wasn't originally meant to bring visions of slavery to people's minds every time they heard it, but for many people it does.

The fact is, that our ancestors screwed up when they took boats to Africa to capture slaves. It's a touchy subject that we need to forever tread lightly on. Weather the word "headmaster" has any actual connection to slavery or not is kind of insignificant, if during the course of time that word has changed to mean something different.

Here's a little example... The word "gay" used to mean happy, but now it means something else. For many people (right or wrong), it has a negative meaning. I went to college with a person who's last name was "Gay". Each time a teacher would take roll call there were always a few snickers and laughs whenever the they called out the guy's last name.

One day I overheard someone say to him "Don't you get tired of people laughing at your name all of the time, why don't you have it changed?". He responded with "Yes, this has been going on all of my life. People were really mean when I was growing up going through school. I don't want to change it though, because I want my kids to go through all of the same crap I had to go through." I think he was just kidding, but I'm not entirely sure.

My point is, that surely back when someone picked that word for their last name, they had no idea that the meaning would change so much during the course of 100 or more years. Trying to explain to everyone over and over again that the word doesn't actually mean "homosexual" and isn't in fact funny each time someone says it out loud is kind of a losing battle. Under these circumstances, changing the name might not be the worst thing in the world.

Old 12-19-2020, 11:32 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,266,362 times
Associating the word with the master - slave relationship is just one use of the word. Master is frequently used in Christian religious texts, my martial arts instructor was referred as "master", we have master minds, master craftsmen, sailing masters, master teachers, master plumbers, electricians and mechanics, master chefs, master chiefs, master sergeants, etc., etc. The meaning of the word has not changed.

Old 12-19-2020, 11:34 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,408,468 times
Quote:

What is racist about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching