Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 09:51 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklove0015 View Post
I think its a great match for me. Just because I did stupid stuff when I was younger doesn't mean I won't be good at something, everyone makes mistakes..
Naturally you think that. But it seems like patience is not a strong suit, and if any group of students needs to be dealt with patiently, it's speds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2021, 03:46 AM

12 posts, read 7,165 times
Phetaroi: I am sorry you feel that way, I am not a judgmental person. I don't judge a person from past mistakes. Just saying, but if you want to judge me without knowing me thats your call =)

Old 06-21-2021, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Phetaroi: I am sorry you feel that way, I am not a judgmental person. I don't judge a person from past mistakes. Just saying, but if you want to judge me without knowing me thats your call =)
I was a principal before retirement. I had no responsibility to serve the needs of applicants. I had every responsibility to protect our students, particularly the most vulnerable.

Judgemental? That's what one is doing when they are responsible for hiring people for a job. To make judgements about what in the candidates present -- and past -- will be the best fit for the responsibilities of a job. Teaching is a tough job, regardless of the area involved. Special ed is unique. You have to be ready to be bitten where the student breaks the skin making you bleed and get first aid. You have to be ready for the student who suddenly starts screaming, "Booger alert. Booger alert", and then starts picking his nose and wiping the boogers on you because something is frustrating him. You have to be ready for the 12 year old boy who suddenly jumps up out of his seat, runs out into the hall screaming, strips off all his clothes, and runs out naked into the snow and into the woods in the middle of January. You have to be ready for the girl who smashes you right in the face for no particular reason. You have to be ready to deal with the student whose parents are giving him illegal Mexican drugs to treat his handicapping condition. And so much more.

So yes, in hiring a special ed professional...I'm going to be very judgemental.

Old 06-21-2021, 12:11 PM

12 posts, read 7,165 times
ok Phetaroi and thats your choice. My son is special needs and I do very well with him, and have patience but because I made mistakes when I was young I guess that means to you I am not a decent person and thats your choice. I am not going to go back and fourth with you because you and I don't have the same opinion.

Old 06-23-2021, 10:45 AM

Quote:
ok Phetaroi and thats your choice. My son is special needs and I do very well with him, and have patience but because I made mistakes when I was young I guess that means to you I am not a decent person and thats your choice. I am not going to go back and fourth with you because you and I don't have the same opinion.
Yes, it is my choice because I have the responsibility of hiring the best candidate based on qualifications to fit my students, not hearsay.

Old 06-26-2021, 03:18 PM

7,074 posts, read 4,514,055 times
Having patience for your own child versus a classroom are really 2 different things. Special education is very challenging as the retired principal pointed out.

Old 06-27-2021, 01:21 PM

8,752 posts, read 5,044,272 times
Quote:
Phetaroi is right. Mistakes can not be made when hiring for special ed students, for many reasons.....lawsuits, for example. If a child is abused by a teacher, they will check into that persons background, and in your case, the school would be sued.

Old 06-27-2021, 02:23 PM

37,796 posts, read 40,996,819 times
Quote:
My first offense was when I bit my ex in the arm this happened 14 years ago, I was arrested I was 19 years old. He didn't report it to the police until a month after it occured. I am not sure what they charged me with but I know it was a misdemeanor. The second time I was arrested in February of 2015 which was almost six years ago. They charged me with vandalism. I accidently broke a turtle tank by throwing something. I paid my fine and that was it.

I really want to become a paraeducator and has turned my life around, I want to work with handicapped kids because I have a son with autism so it has really made me want to help kids with disabilities. I live in NH. Will they hire me with a misdemeanor from 14 years ago? I was 19 I am 33 now? Or should I get my record expunged?
How do the female perv teachers get jobs? Teachers should get psych evaluations before they are hired.

Old 06-27-2021, 09:31 PM

472 posts, read 347,741 times
All I have to say is that I hope you get hired, and I hope maybe somehow this can be looked over. You seem serious about wanting to teach, and we need teachers who are enthusiastic like you. It may have to be a different location that you get hired, or an inner city school, at first. It may not even be special ed at first, you may need to take a different assignment, and then they you can show your goodness and they will move you up. But we have all messed up, and some teachers have messed up, and didn't get caught. Some teachers I have worked with have had a clean record, (like in any profession) and messed up, and have to be fired. And your infractions are not felonies, and are not child abuse or sex related crimes. This is the good part. In my opinion, and I know some will disagree and that's fine, we all deserve second chances. I hope this gets worked out and hope you get hired. I have heard of teachers, cops, and CEO's getting jobs with previous DUI's. Didn't some of our previous Presidents of the US admit to DUI's and or hard drug use?? They still got elected!
I know we should be prudent, and careful evaluating who we hire but none of us are perfect. I had a lovely time working with another teacher for two years that had no criminal record, yet was very verbally abusive to students and staff, and caused the whole science department to crumble, and we are still trying to fix the mistakes of that one colleague two years later after the teacher was fired. The OP shows she has changed and no recent infractions. Some of us didn't get caught, as it goes in any profession.

Old 06-27-2021, 11:48 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,824,868 times
My recurring thought is regarding the need in your area? Where I am they will take just about anyone who applies out of desperation. Find out if there is a need and then act accordingly. You may not even need an expungement to be hired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching