Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2021, 12:41 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,065,198 times

Advertisements

Here's a question for experienced teachers:

What are your most effective classroom management strategies? I'm a new HS teacher and definitely need some pointers.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2021, 08:17 AM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,250 times
Congratulations and good luck!

If you have never read Harry Wong's The First Days of School, I highly recommend it. Another great resource is Louann Johnson's Teaching Outside the Box.

Best advice from Day 1 is Own your classroom. The first thing that I always did was make a set of index cards numbered with the row and seat, ordered from the back of the room to the front. The first students to the class would sit at the back, with the front seats reserved for the stragglers who intended to get the seats in the back. The rule was "new students sit at the front." Once the entire class had appeared, I would move each row's students to the front until another new student enrolled, when everyone in that row would move back. It's a subtle way of assuming control over the room. Then be sure to cover the entire room during your instruction. Proximity to the students is one way to encourage student engagement.

Be sure to let us know how things are going!

Old 07-24-2021, 09:44 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Proximity. If a student is not being attentive or misbehaving, often just moving to that part of the classroom does wonders.

Old 07-25-2021, 06:29 AM

45,335 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Proximity. If a student is not being attentive or misbehaving, often just moving to that part of the classroom does wonders.
I'm cracking up at this one, but not because of what you said.

Back a year and a half ago when all the remote schooling started there were any number of posters here who were absolutely positive that it spelled the end of in person school. Their claim was that kids would be naturally more engaged by on line because, well because they are the "tech generation" or something.

I asked what about that kid, and there is typically at least one in every class, who can't focus for more than about a minute before becoming disruptive so the teacher has to stand near him for most of the class.

You know, no one, not one person, responded to that question.

Old 07-25-2021, 09:26 AM

174 posts, read 97,113 times
In many schools there is no option for classroom management.

You are at the mercy of the students.

Here in Asia where I live, teachers keep it simple.

Warning
5 min time out
10 min time out
Removed from class that day

The key to classroom management (assuming you have the power to discipline) is to 1) have well define rules and procedures and 2) be consistent in enforcing those rules and procedures.

Old 07-27-2021, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinque View Post
One of the things I talked to some colleagues about was in relation to this subject.

In March/April 2020, the idea was this is going to open up more ways to use technology and that our kids are going to use a whole lot more technology and it will usher in a new era of largely using technology to supplement learning.

Fast forward a year or so and we have evidence of kids being exhausted after too much screen time. Students remembering what they wrote down on pencil and paper better than a computer screen and in science there is still more value with the hands-on labs versus the virtual. The recommendation by the American Academy of Pediatrics is no more than two hours for a middle or high schooler.

I think the the discussion should not be about ushering in a golden age of technology based learning but instead thinking out when to use technology occasionally and how to use it for max benefit.

To bring us back to topic I would say in relation to technology, to make sure that you don't use technology as a crutch for classroom management. Make sure they know the procedures with it and the consequences for not following that and hopefully the Admin will largely back you on that.
The bolded has been ongoing since I started teaching in 1984. Lots of bad practice over the years but lots of good, too.

Old 07-29-2021, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Congratulations and good luck!

If you have never read Harry Wong's The First Days of School, I highly recommend it. Another great resource is Louann Johnson's Teaching Outside the Box.

Best advice from Day 1 is Own your classroom. The first thing that I always did was make a set of index cards numbered with the row and seat, ordered from the back of the room to the front. The first students to the class would sit at the back, with the front seats reserved for the stragglers who intended to get the seats in the back. The rule was "new students sit at the front." Once the entire class had appeared, I would move each row's students to the front until another new student enrolled, when everyone in that row would move back. It's a subtle way of assuming control over the room. Then be sure to cover the entire room during your instruction. Proximity to the students is one way to encourage student engagement.

Be sure to let us know how things are going!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes! I love doing this lol

Old 08-14-2021, 04:59 PM

If you're still taking suggestions I'd tell you to start off the first day with work and fill the period.

My (former) school system was noted for having a lot of bookkeeping tasks the first few days that were "must dos". Code of Conduct review, hand out FARM paperwork, PBIS review, just a ****load of stuff.

Doesn't matter, have the kids doing classwork, too.

A lot of the education "experts" here scoff at the "Bell to Bell" teaching ("experts" being those who went to school at some point and maybe graduated and think teaching is is even easier than not going to work at all) but that's what's required for evaluations and observations and keeps the kids busy so they don't make their own entertainment.

You'll likely fight a long twilight struggle with cell phones if your Administration doesn't enforce the no use rules. Mine didn't, in fact they ran away from the rule they themselves formulated. I was told it was to placate parents that we were doing "something".

If you have school uniforms expect that to be a constant irritant, the kids, especially girls, will really work the margins. One trick was to wear a shirt in the proper color but three sizes too small.

Old 08-15-2021, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If you're still taking suggestions I'd tell you to start off the first day with work and fill the period.

My (former) school system was noted for having a lot of bookkeeping tasks the first few days that were "must dos". Code of Conduct review, hand out FARM paperwork, PBIS review, just a ****load of stuff.

Doesn't matter, have the kids doing classwork, too.

A lot of the education "experts" here scoff at the "Bell to Bell" teaching ("experts" being those who went to school at some point and maybe graduated and think teaching is is even easier than not going to work at all) but that's what's required for evaluations and observations and keeps the kids busy so they don't make their own entertainment.

You'll likely fight a long twilight struggle with cell phones if your Administration doesn't enforce the no use rules. Mine didn't, in fact they ran away from the rule they themselves formulated. I was told it was to placate parents that we were doing "something".

If you have school uniforms expect that to be a constant irritant, the kids, especially girls, will really work the margins. One trick was to wear a shirt in the proper color but three sizes too small.
Thanks!

Yes, it’s a private school with a uniform policy. Should make for an interesting experience lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching