Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2022, 12:24 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I taught school in Texas for 29 years and retired at age 51. My pension is roughly 55% of my my final year salary (10 years ago). My health insurance is a flat $200/month. That will change when I reach 65.

I had to reach the “rule of 80” to retire.

In the 10 years since I retired, we’ve not received any raise, but have received an extra paycheck a few times.
I also have a friend who has taught long enough to retire but is not 65
Her husband works outside teaching
She anticipated she and their disabled son who is over 22 would be able to go on her husband’s insurance plan at work but his company changed the rules and only employees can get company insurance—
The ACA plan they would have afforded was not very good, especially because of the meds her son needs so she has to keep teaching until she is 65–about 3 more years I think
I don’t know what they can do for her son because while he is learning disabled he is also capable of working in some fashion—has been sacking at local Kroger’s since he left high school at 19–but he can’t get enough hours to get ins through his job—-and he hasn’t been able to get SSI/Medicaid because of working
It is a had row they are hoeing…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2022, 06:54 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,313,301 times
Quote:
I taught school in Texas for 29 years and retired at age 51. My pension is roughly 55% of my my final year salary (10 years ago). My health insurance is a flat $200/month. That will change when I reach 65.

In the 10 years since I retired, we’ve not received any raise, but have received an extra paycheck a few times.
Is this for one person? Retirees in my district pay:
Aetna: $784
CareFirst: $561
Kaiser: $606

For a retiree +1, those amounts are doubled, plus some.

Old 06-04-2022, 06:31 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:

What Country are you currently residing?

Old 06-08-2022, 07:58 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,096,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It helps if you know what you're talking about before postulating a theory. Review the following numbers and then come back:

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/brown...uzzles-part-i/
Thanks for sharing this article. I was about to be a first time thread starter to ask about teacher retirement, as I was reading through my local school districts benefits and saw that it’s mandatory to be in their Teacher Retirement System, and in being so, excluded from social security.

That seems like a difficult pill to swallow, particularly with a ‘late bloomer’ who only began a career in USA 5 years ago and only has about 25 years of working life left… social security already calculates the payment based upon 35 years of employment, so at best I’ll have 30… but then if I go back to teaching (I was a teacher in another country) I wonder what the implications are…

Say I stuck it out for 10 years and my pension vested, then I decided to move on to alternative employment, how does that play out until I retire 15 years later?

I assume I’d have social security calculated on 20 years of employment, and a small pension based upon the 10 years of teaching?

Maybe this does deserve its own thread. I didn’t plan on going into a rant…

Old 06-08-2022, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Is this for one person? Retirees in my district pay:
Aetna: $784
CareFirst: $561
Kaiser: $606

For a retiree +1, those amounts are doubled, plus some.
Is that just the rate for those people under the age qualification for medicare?

Old 06-08-2022, 09:03 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcl View Post
Is that just the rate for those people under the age qualification for medicare?
Last year in my school district the monthly rates for Aetna were as follows:

Retiree not yet eligible for Social Security: $689-$864
Retiree eligible for Social Security: $215-$390

Old 06-08-2022, 09:29 AM

20,125 posts, read 16,147,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcl View Post
Thanks for sharing this article. I was about to be a first time thread starter to ask about teacher retirement, as I was reading through my local school districts benefits and saw that it’s mandatory to be in their Teacher Retirement System, and in being so, excluded from social security.

That seems like a difficult pill to swallow, particularly with a ‘late bloomer’ who only began a career in USA 5 years ago and only has about 25 years of working life left… social security already calculates the payment based upon 35 years of employment, so at best I’ll have 30… but then if I go back to teaching (I was a teacher in another country) I wonder what the implications are…

Say I stuck it out for 10 years and my pension vested, then I decided to move on to alternative employment, how does that play out until I retire 15 years later?

I assume I’d have social security calculated on 20 years of employment, and a small pension based upon the 10 years of teaching?

Maybe this does deserve its own thread. I didn’t plan on going into a rant…
You lose $1 of SS for every $2 of pension, unless you work enough quarters over a specific income threshold. As someone who worked half their career in five different states that were excluded from SS it is highly annoying, not to mention financially devastating. The system does not work for anyone who frequently moves between states. My SS is not reflective of my lifetime earnings, nor is the one state pension I did manage to become vested in. When I was chasing my military husband around the world I never occurred to me to think about what it was doing to my future retirement income.

Old 06-08-2022, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Last year in my school district the monthly rates for Aetna were as follows:

Retiree not yet eligible for Social Security: $689-$864
Retiree eligible for Social Security: $215-$390
Insight into why one would continue with Aetna in retirement vs the ‘standard’ medicare? Or am I confusing coverage and eligibility?

Old 06-08-2022, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
You lose $1 of SS for every $2 of pension, unless you work enough quarters over a specific income threshold. As someone who worked half their career in five different states that were excluded from SS it is highly annoying, not to mention financially devastating. The system does not work for anyone who frequently moves between states. My SS is not reflective of my lifetime earnings, nor is the one state pension I did manage to become vested in. When I was chasing my military husband around the world I never occurred to me to think about what it was doing to my future retirement income.
Exactly what is bothering me - I don’t want to commit to a 20+ year career at then same school district. I know pensions can be transferred in some instances etc but like you, I’ve already had one state government job where I never vested. Thankfully it was still social security eligible. I cashed my portion out and put it in a Roth

Old 06-08-2022, 11:27 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,036,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
As I was approaching my 20th year of teaching, I had a few people ask me if I was going to do the "20 and done" route. I never quite understood where they were coming from. At 20 years of service I would have only been 42 years old and not eligible for retirement. Next year will be my 30th year, after which I will eligible for unreduced state retirement (VRS here in Virginia). I believe the VRS provides ~50% of your highest three years' salary.

I am one who falls under an older plan that has a "rule of 80", (years of service and age have to equal at least 80). I believe new teachers now have a "rule of 90". So a 22 year old who started this year will be eligible for unreduced retirement after 34 years of service.
A great explanation! ^^^^
It works a bit differently from state to state, but the basics are age + years of service must total a certain number for any full retirement to take place. Seldom is the retirement compensation higher than 50-60% of the average of the highest 3-5 years of salary. Notice, not last 3-5, but highest 3-5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching