Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2023, 11:56 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
"Teacher shortage means one thing"

Well, it might mean a few things.

1. If the shortage is prolific, then those whom should NOT be teachers, become "teachers." (We're seeing this in the pilot's realm, now.)

2. Teachers now have no authority over their own classes. They need to be given the tools to do the job.

3. Teachers making virtually nothing, and some aholes making billions by throwing/catching/kicking a ball? How did we let our priorities get so screwed up? Think about this one.

4. Those that are truly dedicated are leaving the industry, at a rapid rate. Guess who they're going to replace them with...low hanging fruit.

5. You fill this one in~
As far as #2...depends on what you mean, and I say that because teachers need to reasonably handle most discipline in their classrroms...I did, but some don't.

Old 05-07-2023, 01:04 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,818,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
As far as #2...depends on what you mean, and I say that because teachers need to reasonably handle most discipline in their classrroms...I did, but some don't.
Agree 100%. Teachers need to be given the tools to discipline the one's whom disrupt. That doen't mean cutting off their fingers, but something that they can "take with them." Something they can reflect upon later, and maybe see their poor choices. Boy, did I ever just "sugar-coat" this!

If we don't fix the problematic early on, the penal system will later. I'd like to address this before it becomes society's problem.

Old 05-07-2023, 02:17 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,624,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That's my perspective too, I'd rather handle any disciplinary or management problems between myself and the student (and the parent as a "next level" if I can't work directly with the student) -but- if that doesn't work, administrative support is absolutely critical. If discipline referrals go to administration and nothing happens, it really undermines teachers' authority.

Old 05-07-2023, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
That's my perspective too, I'd rather handle any disciplinary or management problems between myself and the student (and the parent as a "next level" if I can't work directly with the student) -but- if that doesn't work, administrative support is absolutely critical. If discipline referrals go to administration and nothing happens, it really undermines teachers' authority.
Agreed. It was rare for me as a teacher to send a referral to the office. I always felt that anytime I did that it was like an admission to the offending student that I couldn't handle it -- a sure recipe for defeat.

Old 05-08-2023, 06:51 AM

6,883 posts, read 7,883,485 times
Well, it's both pay and workload.

I worked at an elementary school built to accommodate 800 students. I was the school librarian, no clerical help. I was working 50 hours per week just to get it all done. At 600 students I was stretched to the breaking point. I asked the principal what was the plan for when we reached capacity, he said, "You'll just teach more classes." He also wanted me to start teaching STEM with no qualifications or training provided. So I quit.

Now I'm moving from NC to VA. I'll be the second librarian in a school of 900 students that also has a full time clerk who does all the circulation and shelving. There are 2 full time STEM teachers. AND I'll be paid $15,000 more.

Does the money make a difference? you bet! Will I complain if I have to work 50 hours per week to get it all done? Nope!

Old 05-10-2023, 10:26 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,231,566 times
Well negotiations are finished and my employer got back with our proposed raises.

6% per year for 3 years, 18% total by 2026. Most of the increase is front-loaded, I think it's 9-6-3, something like that.

This works out to a slight pay CUT relative to the salary scale negotiated 4 years ago. Since that contract was worked out, general CPI has been 19%. So we are 1% behind today. By 2026 it will probably a 7-10% relative pay cut given that YoY inflation is still in the 5% range and not going down quickly.

It's just enough not to strike. The way I put it, "this is just enough for me to not lead a revolution and storm the Bastille." But it doesn't resolve the larger problem of the profession becoming unviable to compete for talent. The take rate of our job openings is still about 40% even after telling candidates about this raise going to go through starting next year. That's an improvement over 25-30%.

But it's not enough that our best and brightest faculty are not going to look for better opportunities, our recruitment will still struggle, and the degradation of education in America will continue apace.

Old 05-10-2023, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Well negotiations are finished and my employer got back with our proposed raises.

6% per year for 3 years, 18% total by 2026. Most of the increase is front-loaded, I think it's 9-6-3, something like that.

This works out to a slight pay CUT relative to the salary scale negotiated 4 years ago. Since that contract was worked out, general CPI has been 19%. So we are 1% behind today. By 2026 it will probably a 7-10% relative pay cut given that YoY inflation is still in the 5% range and not going down quickly.

It's just enough not to strike. The way I put it, "this is just enough for me to not lead a revolution and storm the Bastille." But it doesn't resolve the larger problem of the profession becoming unviable to compete for talent. The take rate of our job openings is still about 40% even after telling candidates about this raise going to go through starting next year. That's an improvement over 25-30%.

But it's not enough that our best and brightest faculty are not going to look for better opportunities, our recruitment will still struggle, and the degradation of education in America will continue apace.
Yes, but remember what some of our posters tell us -- that money is not the problem!

How little they understand.

Old 05-10-2023, 12:16 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,920,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post

Well, here's the "thinking". Right or Wrong.

The inflation rate in March was 5% and you're going to get 9%. YOU'RE WAY AHEAD!!! OK, so the inflation rate in March 2022 was 8.5%, but that's ancient history now. No one remembers if anyone really took it in the shorts then.

Joe Biden passed the INFLATION REDUCTION ACT so you are DEFINITELY going to be WAY ahead for the next 2 years with 6% and 3% pay raises. Lunch bucket Joe is always looking out for the little people (massive sarcasm). With that "big" pay raise there will be 87,000 new IRS agents checking on you.

I know it may be of little consolation saying this, but your pay raises that were just announced are better than what most will see in the private sector over the next 3 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching