Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2023, 03:49 PM

12,058 posts, read 10,264,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Breakfast View Post
Any advice on this?
I was in the corporate world for 25 years and finally have had enough.
I am sick and tired of working more, for less pay. I didn't play the corporate game and move into management like a nice little boy, and it has hurt my pocket.
I am not bitter about it, because I made decent money. But, its time to move on and go back into teaching, I think. I have all the education (my MS in Special Education and was certified for 5 years out of college).

I believe I am ready for the challenge, but have some hesitation because I have not been in the classroom since the late 1990s!

Maybe I should start as a sub first?

Thank you for any feedback.
Yes start as a sub first. See how you like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2023, 05:48 PM

124 posts, read 48,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Yes start as a sub first. See how you like it.
Thanks. Been subbing a while.

I like it.

It is boring to me at times, though. Seems too easy and not challenging. And, I did it in the city schools "bad areas".

My street smarts are high level though, so it is what it is.

I think I would make a great teacher full time. My business professor said I rated very high in the leadership assessment during my MBA, and this was at a very good school.

But, I know there is a big difference between subbing and doing it full time. The "boring" factor might be too hard to overcome.

Old 06-12-2023, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Do you know what the edtpa is? It's not a "test." It's an assessment that is based on submitted videos and "reflections of your teaching practice." You don't get a "percentile score." In fact, there are no teacher tests with a percentile score.

As for "nonsense," the education field has it's own set.

I'm not trying to discourage you. But the hiring process is more complicated (in the very bureaucratic city schools) than you think.

Like you, I was also a career changer so I had "real world" experience first too. Many of us, also have MBAs and went to Ivies.

I see that you rewrote your post after I replied. You seem to have already made up your mind so no need to ask others for advice. Best of luck.

I got a percentile score when I took the test in NYS in 2000.

Yep.

Not sure why you think Ivies is so great. They are just rich people that get their MBAs for the most part. My school is in the big ten, and we are much better.

Old 06-12-2023, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
It's not that they don't have "moxie." Do you know what some of these buildings and neighborhoods are like? Crime, gang activity, absenteeism, families and students in various phases of the legal system, poverty, hunger, chronic underfunding... it's a lot. Throw in an abusive admin (either at the building level or the city) and it's no wonder that these buildings are hard to staff.

You know what we call teachers without "real world experience" outside of teaching? Experts.
Your business world experience is not going to be super helpful in a SpEd classroom.

Good luck in your search.

Business experience not helpful?

You really are missing a lot in life.

Old 06-14-2023, 03:23 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Breakfast View Post
I got a percentile score when I took the test in NYS in 2000.

Yep.

Not sure why you think Ivies is so great. They are just rich people that get their MBAs for the most part. My school is in the big ten, and we are much better.
Which test was that?

Teacher's College at Columbia is regarded as one of the best graduate programs for education. DOE NYC recruits aggressively from Teacher's since it has a partnership with the school. I was thinking of my teacher friend who got her MBA at NYU when I wrote that statement.

Honestly, your teaching experience will depend more on the administration, rather than the students. If you have a supportive administration, then you can have a successful teaching career. While you're subbing, ask the other teachers about the "atmosphere." They're not going to talk at first, but maybe if you keep going back to the same school, you'll get an idea. I gather that you prefer middle and high school kids.

Last edited by Coney; 06-14-2023 at 03:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching