Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2023, 10:14 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times

Advertisements

I haven’t taught at K-12 in many years but I was wondering what I would ever do if I got laid off from my current job. Subbing would be a nice fallback. For those who have left the profession, is it worth keeping your teaching license active for situations like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2023, 12:18 PM

401 posts, read 275,346 times
I have subbed in 2 states and both states you did not need a teacher's license. I had a license at one time, never taught, and I let it expire and would not go through the tests on top or professional development without even having a job to get it back. But I also plan to never teach. So I guess my answer would depend on the requirements in your state to keep it active.

Old 08-09-2023, 12:25 PM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I haven’t taught at K-12 in many years but I was wondering what I would ever do if I got laid off from my current job. Subbing would be a nice fallback. For those who have left the profession, is it worth keeping your teaching license active for situations like this?
It might be. It depends. Would you need it to sub? Pennsylvania you do while in Maryland you can be a high school or equivalent graduate with no recent felonies in order to sub.

In Maryland one would have to continue with grad credits unless you're in Senior Teacher status (twenty five years and up) to be able to continue to renew it.

As it was, I still had four years left on my last certificate when I retired. My school system asked that it be suspended and it was. That's to keep retirees and resigners from leaving and going to work in another school system.

Old 08-09-2023, 02:04 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It might be. It depends. Would you need it to sub? Pennsylvania you do while in Maryland you can be a high school or equivalent graduate with no recent felonies in order to sub.

In Maryland one would have to continue with grad credits unless you're in Senior Teacher status (twenty five years and up) to be able to continue to renew it.

As it was, I still had four years left on my last certificate when I retired. My school system asked that it be suspended and it was. That's to keep retirees and resigners from leaving and going to work in another school system.
Pennsylvania allows emergency certification for subs who don't have a teaching certificate. It is typically done through the Intermediate Units. I am subbing with an inactive teaching certificate since I never completed the continuing education.

Old 08-09-2023, 02:06 PM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Pennsylvania allows emergency certification for subs who don't have a teaching certificate. It is typically done through the Intermediate Units. I am subbing with an inactive teaching certificate since I never completed the continuing education.
OK, that's changed then.

Old 08-10-2023, 03:58 AM

186 posts, read 173,559 times
I didn’t teach for 10 years and kept 3 licenses going with cheap graduate level credits and community college courses. I believe it was 10 credits every 5 years. It made it really easy to go back to teaching.

Old 08-10-2023, 07:18 AM

So I think it's a good idea. My teaching license is inactive in Missouri and I now live in Texas. It looks like I can transfer the license, even with it being inactive.

Old 08-10-2023, 09:42 AM

43,054 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
So I think it's a good idea. My teaching license is inactive in Missouri and I now live in Texas. It looks like I can transfer the license, even with it being inactive.
You don't need to be certified to sub in Texas although being certified will get you more money.
And in Texas you have to keep up with continuing ed and submit the paperwork to keep your cert active (once you do activate it).

I did sub, tutor, grant work in Texas. The schools I worked in allowed me to come in and participate with the faculty for CPE hours. Then I found a few online classes that also qualified.
Keeping your cert up with the CPE is a bit harder when you are not a contract teacher at a school.

Here's some info about it:

https://tea.texas.gov/texas-educator...ation-renewals

Old 08-10-2023, 06:18 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,250 times
I retired two years ago, but I decided to renew my license just in case. I turned down a teaching job last week that required a license. My new job doesn't require one. It also pays about half a regular teaching job. The stress level is nearly non-existent, though, which is one of the main reasons I took it. Teaching kids for nearly 40 years pretty much made me stress-averse now.

Old 08-11-2023, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
You don't need to be certified to sub in Texas although being certified will get you more money.
And in Texas you have to keep up with continuing ed and submit the paperwork to keep your cert active (once you do activate it).

I did sub, tutor, grant work in Texas. The schools I worked in allowed me to come in and participate with the faculty for CPE hours. Then I found a few online classes that also qualified.
Keeping your cert up with the CPE is a bit harder when you are not a contract teacher at a school.

Here's some info about it:

https://tea.texas.gov/texas-educator...ation-renewals
For being a sub, is it as simple as applying at a school district, passing a background check, and them keeping you on a list until they need you? Just wondering how quickly I could get into the classroom and start getting a paycheck in the event that I ever lost my current job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching