Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2023, 07:04 AM

78 posts, read 77,210 times

Advertisements

I have two questions for the teachers on this forum. What is teaching like nowadays and how do you know if changing careers to teaching is right for you?

A little background, I have a job currently (basically I am a project manager/office drone). I hate it. It's soul draining. But it was always good money and decent benefits. I worked for the money and benefits, not the love of the job. Now my workplace is under some stress and I can foresee it closing up in an year or two.

I am looking for a new job in my 50s and am willing to take a pay cut if it means a fulfilling job I enjoy. I will be honest, the idea of being an office drone somewhere else fills me with dread. I did substitute school teaching 20 years ago, when I was between jobs, and I loved it. I loved the kids, the other teachers, being in the classroom, etc. I had fun. It's one of the few jobs I actually thought was fun. I never pursued it though because taking a sabbatical from working to get certified was a bit daunting and was not something I could every afford to do.

As if by providence, a Facebook ad for the local school district popped up on a friend's page and she told me about the opening of 15 positions at the local school district. The ad basically says, "don't worry if you aren't certified, if you have a bachelor's degree, we will help you get there!"

I am really tempted by this (and anxious). They have openings for just about everything (and every subject) but I would be interested in elementary education, special education, and social studies. I could probably do English as well if I brushed up on things a bit (my degree is in journalism. But I am so far removed from that and my focus was photojournalism, not writing. I only took the bare minimum of writing and editing classes and I haven't done writing professionally... ever. I am well read though and love literature).

It's been over 20 years since I've been in a classroom and I know being a substitute isn't the same as being a real teacher. I am a project manager, so my profession is planning, so I am not worried about lesson planning... that's right up my alley. I deal with unreasonable and angry people (and I think mentally ill in some cases) on a weekly basis, so I am not worried about difficult parents. I already work overtime every day for 2-3 hours and weekends, so I am not worried about the work that has to be done outside of classroom. I love kids and seem to have a rapport with them (even the high school kids from when my daughter was in high school and I volunteered), I love learning (I am a lifelong learner myself), so I am not worried about that. I am worried about the things I may not thinking of. Any advice from current teachers is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2023, 07:25 AM

43,054 posts, read 18,223,725 times
If you haven't been in a classroom for over 20 years I highly suggest you do sub work first to see and get a feel for the school environment. Much has changed.

Also be aware of tax consequences namely SS and WEP if you switch from a FICA job to a non FICA job your social security benefits can be reduced.

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirem...anner/wep.html

Old 08-23-2023, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
If you haven't been in a classroom for over 20 years I highly suggest you do sub work first to see and get a feel for the school environment. Much has changed.

Also be aware of tax consequences namely SS and WEP if you switch from a FICA job to a non FICA job your social security benefits can be reduced.

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirem...anner/wep.html

Thanks! I didn't even think about SS and WEP. I might not have my benefits reduced. I've been paying into SS for more than 35 years now (I've been working every year and paying into SS since I was 15). But I really have no idea how that works and need to read in to it.

Old 08-23-2023, 08:03 AM

43,054 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccidentalVulcan View Post
Thanks! I didn't even think about SS and WEP. I might not have my benefits reduced. I've been paying into SS for more than 35 years now (I've been working every year and paying into SS since I was 15). But I really have no idea how that works and need to read in to it.
I started working at 16 but those first couple of years working didn't count as SS has a table that defines the amount that qualifies as "substantial earnings" for each year.

Definitely do your homework so that you are not surprised.

Old 08-23-2023, 09:48 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
My wife retired last year, along with several other younger teachers at her school. They all became burned out with the behavior problems caused by the two years of Covid, school from home and the transition back. Apparently this is common now.

She was at a school rated 9/10, in a city where the median family income is $237k, 86% of homes are owner-occupied, and any school bond is passed easily.

https://nces.ed.gov/whatsnew/press_r...07_06_2022.asp

Old 08-23-2023, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I started working at 16 but those first couple of years working didn't count as SS has a table that defines the amount that qualifies as "substantial earnings" for each year.

Definitely do your homework so that you are not surprised.

Thanks again. I found a chart and those years working in high schoo, college, and moving/being temporarily underemployed don't count. Grr. That puts me at 29 years of substantial earnings. I will be at 30 at the end of this year.

I never even knew about all of this, so this is very valuable information. I can not thank you enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
My wife retired last year, along with several other younger teachers at her school. They all became burned out with the behavior problems caused by the two years of Covid, school from home and the transition back. Apparently this is common now.

She was at a school rated 9/10, in a city where the median family income is $237k, 86% of homes are owner-occupied, and any school bond is passed easily.

https://nces.ed.gov/whatsnew/press_r...07_06_2022.asp

Good to know. This is probably why they are so desperate for teachers. It's certainly something to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching