Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2023, 06:49 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,421,226 times

Advertisements

he wants us to turn in a specific single subject lesson plan. I teach elementary school, so it could be a PE, Social Studies, Math, Language Arts or what ever one subject we choose. Also, he wants us to turn in that specific one subject lesson plan every two weeks. When he makes his classroom visits, he will come to see us teach that specific lesson that was turned in to him. What are your thoughts about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2023, 05:03 AM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
I don't quite understand what you're saying. Does he want a full two week plan for just the one, whatever, class? Then he comes in at some point in that two weeks for the observation? Would this be a formal or informal observation or just a drive-by?

Old 08-28-2023, 06:46 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Sounds like he is interested in seeing your teaching style rather than you proving that you are addressing the curriculum itself. He’s giving you a chance to pick your favorite subject.

Old 08-28-2023, 07:55 AM

7,320 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Sounds like he is interested in seeing your teaching style rather than you proving that you are addressing the curriculum itself. He’s giving you a chance to pick your favorite subject.
I agree.

For what my daughter has said, her principal request weekly lesson plans for the couple of years. Afterwards, the principal assumed she was on track. The principal still comes in to listen to lectures and keeps tabs on what's going on.

It's not a bad thing to mix things up! Helps to keep it from being repetitive and boring.

Old 08-28-2023, 02:15 PM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
As a retired principal...today there is too much over-supervision of teachers.
Leave teachers alone UNLESS AND UNTIL a problem develops.

Old 08-28-2023, 05:58 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'll bet you knew the first month of school which were your best teachers and which you needed to ride herd on. Lesson plans turned into a Principal's office are best filed away for the occasional substitute.

I think highly structured lesson plans and rote techniques are taking all the individuality away from our best teachers. Education has for decades said that each student learns differently and the lesson plan should be flexible enough to accommodate each students learning patterns and strengths, yet we turn around and try to make each teacher a robot that fits the best practices mold.

Do I think those things help? Absolutely, they help a person that probably isn't a very good teacher to begin with, stay in teaching and keep their jobs.

Back on topic, I agree, this Principal is trying to stack the deck in your favor. Allowing you to pick your best area and showcase it when he/she is in the room observing.

Old 08-30-2023, 05:30 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,222,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

When Teachers are allowed to teach interactively with the students, the students perform better. But, when the class room is treated like some "tight itinerary on a tour bus".... not many people learn, its more like a drive by, look at this and the bus speed on to the next sit on the strict route"

Kids learn best when they get info on "who, what, when, where and why, and they will follow up with asking their question of "how come", "or why not. That give them means and time and way to engage the subject matter.

It also holds their attention and tech them how to think critically through and within the process.

The more we fail to do this type of teaching the more the system fails the students.

Old 08-30-2023, 06:35 AM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
When Teachers are allowed to teach interactively with the students, the students perform better. But, when the class room is treated like some "tight itinerary on a tour bus".... not many people learn, its more like a drive by, look at this and the bus speed on to the next sit on the strict route"

Kids learn best when they get info on "who, what, when, where and why, and they will follow up with asking their question of "how come", "or why not. That give them means and time and way to engage the subject matter.

It also holds their attention and tech them how to think critically through and within the process.

The more we fail to do this type of teaching the more the system fails the students.
Considering that I have stated that teachers who are doing their jobs should be left alone to teach...I also have to say that there are too many teachers who are not doing the job they are being paid to do. A teacher is being paid to teach a particular approved curriculum. They wanna get paid? Then they need to do what their employer contracted with them to do.

I always gave teachers reasonable latitude in interpreting the curriculum standards of the system and/or state. But did equate to 'do your own thing'.

Old 08-30-2023, 09:19 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
he wants us to turn in a specific single subject lesson plan. I teach elementary school, so it could be a PE, Social Studies, Math, Language Arts or what ever one subject we choose. Also, he wants us to turn in that specific one subject lesson plan every two weeks. When he makes his classroom visits, he will come to see us teach that specific lesson that was turned in to him. What are your thoughts about this?
You went to college and learned how to write lesson plans, so what's the problem?

You've been teaching for some time so you should have tons of lesson plans.

You can also go online and rip off other people's lesson plans.

You do PE you can do a lesson plan on stretching and why stretching is important and should be done every day even if you don't exercise. Even if all you're doing is moving furniture around the house, you should still stretch to help avoid injury.

Principals are supervisors and the only way to supervise a teachers is to watch teachers, so I don't see what the problem is.

If you don't like that, they can always install video cameras in the classroom and then the principal can watch you whenever he wants.

Old 08-30-2023, 12:33 PM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You went to college and learned how to write lesson plans, so what's the problem?

You've been teaching for some time so you should have tons of lesson plans.

You can also go online and rip off other people's lesson plans.

You do PE you can do a lesson plan on stretching and why stretching is important and should be done every day even if you don't exercise. Even if all you're doing is moving furniture around the house, you should still stretch to help avoid injury.

Principals are supervisors and the only way to supervise a teachers is to watch teachers, so I don't see what the problem is.

If you don't like that, they can always install video cameras in the classroom and then the principal can watch you whenever he wants.
Maybe. It depends on the format. If by "Lesson Plan" the Principal means a more or less brief outline for each day that's one thing.

If, however, the Principal wants this: https://www.montana.edu/fieldplaceme...LessonPlan.pdf it's something else entirely since once you get into the meat you have to start listing which domain each activity covers and your anticipated student success rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching