Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2023, 12:07 AM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I attended a public high school from '67-'70. There were no shootings or stabbings in my school, nor were there any after school. I spent the following three years living in a dorm and walking the streets of Baltimore. I was a little nervous when I ventured out alone late at night, but that's about it. I don't think it ever occurred to me that I could be shot or stabbed.
Did you ever read Up the Down Staircase? That's how it was. The worst was when students changed classes. The knives would be shown in the stairwells. The kids didn't have shotguns for hunting. They had (as they still do today) illegal handguns, which they brought to school. This was before they instituted metal detectors in the schools and of course there were no security cameras like they have in schools today or school safety officers. The teachers were scared and would hide in their classrooms. I knew a couple of them who were attacked by students and hospitalized. After-school "rumbles" were very common and the fights continued on the public buses and the subway when school let out. Today, all of this would be shown on the news and everyone would make a fuss. In those days, it was just accepted that this was how it was and swept under the rug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2023, 10:48 AM

35,016 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redraider1974 View Post
In 1970 my middle school principal called an assembly together for a talk. He proceeded to say that several people in our accelerated classes had low IQs. He tried to turn it into an "inspiring" speech about how these "low IQ' students had a "high will Q" rather than IQ. Well, of course everybody was wondering who had the "low IQ". And it turned out that I scored low on the IQ test because I had OCD and kept checking repeatedly during the test resulting in me never finishing any IQ tests because of my repetitive OCD checking. If you do not finish an IQ test you will score low on the test. People found out that I scored low on the IQ test and I was bullied by several students even in high school. Would this behavior by this principal have been allowed today? By the way, rot in hell Mr. Littlejohn in SC. Thanks. I needed that.
Any accelerated or remedial class, to some extent, is a disclosure of information. It's no secret who is in the class.

Old 09-27-2023, 12:17 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Any accelerated or remedial class, to some extent, is a disclosure of information. It's no secret who is in the class.
Yes. When I was a kid, we knew who the smart kids were, who the dumb kids were, who the bad kids were, who the good kids were. It's not exactly brain surgery figuring it out. And kids can be mean-spirited.

Old 09-27-2023, 01:15 PM

35,016 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes. When I was a kid, we knew who the smart kids were, who the dumb kids were, who the bad kids were, who the good kids were. It's not exactly brain surgery figuring it out. And kids can be mean-spirited.
Kids can and should be encouraged to refrain from that kind of activity. It can and should be pointed out that kids can be moved up and, more rarely down between classes. There was even one kid, in fourth grade, that went from 4-2 to 4-1 to 4-0, the "top" class.

Old 09-27-2023, 01:25 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Kids can and should be encouraged to refrain from that kind of activity. It can and should be pointed out that kids can be moved up and, more rarely down between classes. There was even one kid, in fourth grade, that went from 4-2 to 4-1 to 4-0, the "top" class.
Oc course. Human relations is an important part of any school program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching