Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 07:54 AM

2,702 posts, read 6,027,050 times

Advertisements

Can you list all the pros & cons of teaching elementary school (grades K-5) or secondary (grades 9-12/high school? I am pursuing a M.A. in Teaching & am wondering whether or not to pursue it in elem ed or secondary ed...

I enjoy working w/ little kids, I've volunteered at an abuse center in my college town for almost 2 yrs. I get along great w/ kids, w/ no problems.

I am an English major & I have always wanted to write young adult fiction so I figure that high school would be a way for me to connect w/ the kids. I also love my subject & would like to have an impact in their lives & get them excited about American literature (11th grade)...I also have expressed a desire to teach children how to read & write, hence teaching in elementary school.

Literacy is very important to me...

Thanks for the advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 09:10 AM

518 posts, read 2,531,329 times
younger kids are more eager to learn and get more excited. often times at the high school level, you will find many disinterested students.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:48 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Which age do you like better? There is a total different mind set between the two levels. I would never be able to do primary.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:19 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,830,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Which age do you like better? There is a total different mind set between the two levels. I would never be able to do primary.
^^ Amen to that! ^^ (LOL)

I love my high school kids, and can tolerate middle schoolers but could never, EVER survive in a roomful of little ones.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:36 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,027,050 times
Well, I have worked mostly with children (ages 10 & under). I've also worked with a few middle schoolers but not high schoolers. I'm 20 yrs old, so not too far removed from high school . I enjoyed H.S. though & wouldn't mind going back, but at the same time--working & volunteering w/ kids is often a rewarding experience, not that H.S. wouldn't be...I'm pretty open to either age group.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:50 PM

51 posts, read 186,900 times
As a middle school teacher of eight years, I can honestly say that this level is wonderful. They are young enough where they are still excited to learn, but old enough that you can delve pretty deep into the material. With patience and a good understanding of this age group it's a powerful experience.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:14 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,459,039 times
I subbed for several years in some extremely affluent towns. I had originally planned to go into high school teaching, but I pretty much ended up subbing for all levels. My favorite level in these districts was middle school.

When I found out my blood wasn't blue enough to get hired full-time in these districts, I got hired full-time in an urban high-need district. I started in the toughest middle school in the district, and it was rough. I raged against the machine a little bit, and got transferred to elementary school. It was a good move.

You will have less free time in elementary school. You will have to spend more time setting up toys (excuse me, "manipulatives") for the daily activities for elementary school students. There is a lot more paperwork on the elementary level. But, the students are easier to motivate (it's still a real challenge though), and most truly do love and apperciate you, even though they may drive you crazy. By middle school, at least in urban areas, a lot of kids have already "checked out", and have little respect for you or anyone else.

Of course, YMMV depending on where you work. I loved middle school in the burbs, but I prefer elementary school in my current district.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:29 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,391,035 times
In Illinois, unless you teach in a unit district, secondary educators have a considerably better salary schedule.
My heart, however, belongs to middle school kids.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:50 AM

193 posts, read 1,143,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Can you list all the pros & cons of teaching elementary school (grades K-5) or secondary (grades 9-12/high school? I am pursuing a M.A. in Teaching & am wondering whether or not to pursue it in elem ed or secondary ed...

Hi,

I'm curious as to where you are pursuing your degree.. I'm looking to get into teaching and would like to go back to school to get a degree first. Are there any requirements to get into the program? Thanks!

Old 01-06-2009, 11:47 AM

193 posts, read 1,143,369 times
Also.. wanted to ask..what kind of coursework are you given? Are you liking the program so far? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching