Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Boston or NYC: teaching degree, decent neighborhoods, metro population, reasonable crime rate

Old 03-10-2007, 12:27 PM

989 posts, read 2,762,327 times

Advertisements

I will be completing a teaching degree and moving to the east coast soon (teacher pay waaay better than out west), and was looking for a good city to live in. These are my requirements....

1) Metro Population of at least 100,000.

2) Within 2.5 hours or less of either Boston or NYC

3) Decent neighborhoods that are not blighted

4) A reasonable crime rate. It doesn't have to be Maybury, but it cannot be South Central LA. I really just need a typical suburb

5) I have a bit of scratch saved up from previous career, so I could afford a place up to $350K. For that I would like a 2000+ sq ft place with a 10,000+ sq ft lot and a 2 car garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2007, 12:53 PM

Question HELP! I need a new city!

I will be completing a teaching degree and moving to the east coast soon (teacher pay waaay better than out west), and was looking for a good city to live in. These are my requirements....

4) A reasonable crime rate. It doesn't have to be Maybury, but it cannot be South Central LA. I really just need a typical suburb

5) I have a bit of scratch saved up from previous career, so I could afford a place up to $350K. For that I would like a 2000+ sq ft place with a 10,000+ sq ft lot and a 2 car garage.

Old 03-10-2007, 02:05 PM

93 posts, read 394,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evlevo View Post

Hi evlevo.

Your requirements for a neighborhood can include nearly anywhere in CT. Teacher's salaries are fairly high all over the state (among the highest in the US). You'd get paid more to teach in an urban district such as Bridgeport or Hartford, but the students might be a little tougher there. If I'm not mistaking, I believe Fairfield County pays teachers higher than any other county in the US (someone correct me if I'm wrong). This county is home to very wealthy people, and homes for $350 are hard to find (most small homes start around $4-500k, and the average home price for many of these communities is well over $1 million).

I would highly recommend the Danbury area for you. It's in northern Fairfield County and since it's a little further from NYC, real estate is much less. In Bethel, Brookfield and Danbury itself, you can find a decent home for $350k, but for 2,000 square feet, you might be looking at the 400s. Crime is very low in Danbury when comparing to other CT cities such as Hartford, New Haven, Bridgeport and Waterbury. The Danbury area as a whole was ranked among the safest areas to live in the US a few years ago for metro areas with a population over 100k. There's fine dining and shopping (home to a 200+ store mall). NYC is about an hour away, and Boston is about 2 and a half hours. You also have access to the city (NYC) via Metro North.

If you want more house for your money, the Hartford area is one of the most reasonable areas in terms of real estate (especially east of Hartford). I don't know much about that area, or eastern CT (Norwich/New London) but there are many on this thread who can help you out. I know West Hartford is a beautiful community.

If you don't want blighted neighborhoods, I'd stay away from Bridgeport, Waterbury, New Haven, Hartford and parts of Norwalk and Stamford.

Feel free to PM me if you have anymore questions.

Old 03-10-2007, 03:16 PM

Default I should clarify

When I said I did not want a place with blighted neighborhoods, I meant that I did not want to live in one, but a city that has them (just in a different area than the one I live in) is fine.

I should also add...

I don't mind living in a nice area than is 1-3 miles from a bad one. When I lived in Sacramento I was 1 mile from the ghetto (and a few blocks from 2-3 houses with bars on the windows) and I had no problems (and excellent neighbors!).

I am willing to commute 30-45 min from a nice small town to a bigger, job rich city.

Thanks for the replies!

Old 03-10-2007, 03:18 PM

474 posts, read 2,192,871 times
Sounds like many towns in New Hampshire, or on the Maine/NH border. You might find RI too densely populated unless you go closer to the ocean, in which case $350K won't buy much. Look at building costs of $200+ / sq. ft. and you're over $400K in RI suburbs. Just saying .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching