Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 09:56 PM

67 posts, read 285,384 times

Advertisements

I am an administrator, and I wouldn't think twice about hiring someone with this on their record. I taught for years with a woman who was a wild youth and had multiple arrests in her early twenties. My principal gave her shot (fifteen years after her last arrest), and she is a star teacher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 7,055 times
I'm in the same situation n only 23 is their any help

Old 08-06-2011, 01:00 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,169,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
No matter where you teach, the district will fingerprint you. (I taught 30 years). You will show up if you were ever fingerprinted, from something like military, to any license/ permit that needs it, and - of course - your arrrest.

Consult a lawyer. A university will take your money - a lawyer will tell you if you can use the degree. So can the NEA or the AFT (teachers' national unions)
I wanted to second what bt is indicating with this post. I'm thinking you'll be fine but why not find out ahead of time.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:55 PM

31 posts, read 67,448 times
yeah you should probably contact the university, hopefully they do not hold it against you since it was 10 years ago..wish you the best of luck!

Old 08-07-2011, 11:26 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,169,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teach2b View Post
It's amazing just how one's choices in life can come back and bite you.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:18 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,903,762 times
Quote:
You will probably get more responses if you start your own thread instead of resurrecting one that's two years old.

Also, you need to give some details specific to your situation. You're only 23 now? How old were you when you were convicted and of what charge? What state are you in?

I think it's safe to assume that the record is at least more recent that the original post was, so that would certainly change the consequences for you. Regardless of the particulars, it might be wiser to have a backup plan for your career.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:21 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
The issue is that it really depends on the state, if they want to let you get a teaching license. That is the first hurdle, the second is finding a school district to hire you, the third is finding a principal wanting to hire you. That is alot of government thinkers...before you even get to a job interview...good luck.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:28 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,441,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billie121 View Post
I am planning on going back to school to get my teaching degree (MAT). I was arrested 10 years for theft (misdemeanor) shoplifting. I plead guilty and it was eventually expunged from my record. I know this falls under "moral turpitude" which in Georgia is not good. I understand I have to disclose this information. I am just wondering if this will hurt my chances to become a teacher.

I have read that when you apply, you need to write a page or two explaining exactly what happened. That this would be the deciding factor.

Does anyone know anything about this? I haven't had been arrested since. Also, if do you think this would hurt my chances to be accepted into a MAT graduate program?

Thanks,

Depends on the state.

Here in Texas three years ago, every public school employee in the state was fingerprinted and had to undergo an FBI background check. In my district (with about 4000 teachers and several thousand other personnel) only one individual, an elementary PE teacher, was let go because of a marijuana conviction back when he was 19.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:40 PM

624 posts, read 1,247,273 times
Politically correct government school districts and administrators will not hire people with an arrest record. It would not matter to me, but these people are politicians first. They seem to only care about looking good on paper and with test scores. I wish you luck. You might try finding a school district that doesn't focus on test scores or looking good. I do not know where that might be however.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:14 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,361,909 times
Quote:
I hope you aren't planning on becoming an English teacher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching