Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 04:29 PM

45,608 posts, read 61,041,044 times

Advertisements

On-line learning isn't for everyone. Believe or not most students need the "one on one" a teacher gives. Just because kids spend a ton of time on computers/gaming systems/other electronics doesn't mean that they can be taught something on them. For point of reference I'm a certified on-line instructor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 05:54 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,148,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
On-line learning isn't for everyone. Believe or not most students need the "one on one" a teacher gives. Just because kids spend a ton of time on computers/gaming systems/other electronics doesn't mean that they can be taught something on them.
I don't believe it because its not true. There is no difference between test scores, etc between the use of a sophisticated computer system (with some instructor interaction) and a traditional lecture based course.

Most web based courses are garbage though, they are not written by experts and have little interactivity. What I'm talking about are computer based learning systems that utilize sophisticated tutoring techniques via artificial intelligence.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I don't believe it because its not true. There is no difference between test scores, etc between the use of a sophisticated computer system (with some instructor interaction) and a traditional lecture based course.

Most web based courses are garbage though, they are not written by experts and have little interactivity. What I'm talking about are computer based learning systems that utilize sophisticated tutoring techniques via artificial intelligence.

Let's see the stats. For a general mixed class, not one that went through a screening process that assessed suitability for on-line instruction.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Let's see the stats. For a general mixed class, not one that went through a screening process that assessed suitability for on-line instruction.
Can't post them as they are internal.

No idea what you are talking about with "screening process", I'm talking about computer based instruction at the university level. Many universities (usually private) have such courses available where its either entirely computer based or a hybrid. There is no screening process. In my previous posts, I'm talking about hybrid courses where you allow a tutoring system to do a lot of the teaching but still have some teacher/instructor intersection. For example by turning a 3 hour lecture course into a 1 hour a week discuss. Or by taking a previously 25 students class room and expanding it to 60~90 students. In either case, there is a major reduction in the amount of people needed per student.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:44 PM

You and I are talking different levels. High schools generally have a screening process for suitability. If you're at university level a preliminary screening has already been done.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
You and I are talking different levels. High schools generally have a screening process for suitability. If you're at university level a preliminary screening has already been done.
High schools do all sorts of things whether they make sense or not. But "online class" is not really what I'm talking about, whether it be a high school setting or a college setting. Most online classes are simply some content on the web with a bit of interaction and some exercises, and in that case I'm sure most kids won't do well with it. But combine the content with computer based tutoring and it is not that much different than in person instruction. The tutor answers questions, gives hints, etc, etc.

Due to technology (not out-sourcing) I think teaching is going to start to contract in terms of number of jobs available. This should improve education, not only will students have more uniform education (in terms of kids from poor communities vs more wealth ones) but you could afford to pay the remaining teachers more and only keep the best of the best. Unions will block it though, until the flood waters get too strong. We are not quite there yet.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:15 AM

31,692 posts, read 41,146,600 times
Not sure about Lousisiana law but from what I know the union as AFT often does is misstating the facts. In many states employers neither pay or sponsor folks for their H-1B visa. That is between the candidate and the sponsoring organization. Employers in most cases hire people after they have the visa or in some cases will sponsor someone for one if they are the recruiters. In the case of teachers recruiting companies like the one mentioned are responsible for the organization and financial structure for teachers coming over. They provide a structure and financial security. The Phillipines has a surplus of teachers and many areas of our country have a shortage of CERTIFIED teachers. It is amazing how Phillipino teacher can have Amercian certification and many prospective teachers born here don't. I am not a fan of Phillipino teachers as there are many issues with but AFT is just being supportive of members who may not have certification but pay dues.

http://www.businessreport.com/news/2008/jul/25/letter/
http://epaper.americanpress.com/Repo...sh-skin-custom
Let’s explore the teacher situation.

“Caddo looks outside country for teachers,” said a headline in The Times of Shreveport.

School officials said 42 teachers from the Philippines will be filling math, science, special education and English teaching positions at Caddo Parish schools.

East Baton Rouge and Jefferson parishes are also going elsewhere to fill critical teaching vacancies. East Baton Rouge hired 40 Filipino teachers last year and will hire an additional 60 this year. Jefferson is expected to hire 60 teachers from outside the country.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/47272087.html
Two weeks ago, the East Baton Rouge Parish school system fired 34 teachers recruited over the past two years from the Philippines.

Now, many of them are fighting back.

Twenty-two are represented by a teacher union, the East Baton Rouge Parish Association of Educators.

The union has hired New Orleans attorney Amy Maccherone to examine the legality of the firings.

In this case the union is supporting the foreign teachers.

Remember teachers from the Phillipines are often multi language speakers.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:29 AM

31,692 posts, read 41,146,600 times
Spanish language in the Philippines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes the candidates from the Phillipines usually speak Spanish and English. Does Louisiana have many Hispanic immigrant students? Hmmm is that a possible draw for hiring them. Is it a drag against candidates who don't speak any form of Spanish? Maybe. Does the AFT care? There are legitimate concerns about hiring them but is the AFT articulating them?

Old 10-17-2009, 10:17 PM

2 posts, read 4,365 times
"When I first decided to go into teaching, one of the recommendations was taht I move to Texas because my engineering degree would have been enough to start teaching on. I would have been given 5 years to get my teaching certs but they would have hired me without certs."

I just read this post by you...and I am curious. Did you have to have any type of educational degree or di they just require you to have a degree and the teaching certs? If so, where did you get that information? You reply will much appreciated since I am attepting to begin teaching in Texas and I am unable to obtain a straight answer from anyone!!!

Crystal

Old 10-18-2009, 08:04 AM

11,357 posts, read 19,006,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalgraham View Post
"When I first decided to go into teaching, one of the recommendations was taht I move to Texas because my engineering degree would have been enough to start teaching on. I would have been given 5 years to get my teaching certs but they would have hired me without certs."

I just read this post by you...and I am curious. Did you have to have any type of educational degree or di they just require you to have a degree and the teaching certs? If so, where did you get that information? You reply will much appreciated since I am attepting to begin teaching in Texas and I am unable to obtain a straight answer from anyone!!!

Crystal
Who on here are you referring to? I'm the OP, but I did the thing you're describing about Texas in Connecticut, and while I went to an engineering-oriented college, my BS was in Comp Sci and my past background in IT (and to some extent in market research).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching