Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 09:28 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,160,361 times

Advertisements

Yesterday 600 teachers received letters saying they were on the reduction of force list and as of the end of this year they did not have a job.Its a pity to see so many long term highly educated teachers with masters degrees, state board certification and years of service who have always given the extra effort be tossed under the bus. No wonder places like India and China and many others are positioning themselves to dominate us. I bet they are not throwing away their best educators...go figure. Sure reduce the dead weight but far more than that is going on in charlotte NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 09:31 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,613,229 times
FTA program another federal leap frog law giving 1st pick, not point preference, but 1st pick of teacher jobs to undergrads who are in default of student loan.
they did this stuff with spouse of active duty too, not point preference 1st pick of any federal job.
leap frog right over HR.
here comes the layoffs.
what is strange is american labor is anti labor. no unions, i rather die first. and you will.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:03 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,160,361 times
Very interesting. I will try to find out more about this and see if it is well known among some of my teacher pals. Seems to me that this shows what unions are formed to stop and if ever a union was needed it is now.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:16 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,613,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Very interesting. I will try to find out more about this and see if it is well known among some of my teacher pals. Seems to me that this shows what unions are formed to stop and if ever a union was needed it is now.
maybe a big union with 1000's marching in the street but not what we got now. feds leap frogged over HR and the teachers union on this one. not the first time either clinton did it with the base closing too. when the law breaks the law there is no law, billy jack (1972)

Old 05-15-2010, 04:47 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,138,845 times
Education needs to be modernized, its costing states too much due to the lack of improvements over the years. It would be like if US farmers were still using plows dragged by animals instead of modern framing equipment.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:05 AM

17,765 posts, read 39,813,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Education needs to be modernized, its costing states too much due to the lack of improvements over the years. It would be like if US farmers were still using plows dragged by animals instead of modern framing equipment.
but they'd still get gov-mint subsidies!!!! Teachers get a big bowl a nuthin'.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:30 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,138,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
but they'd still get gov-mint subsidies!!!! Teachers get a big bowl a nuthin'.
Schools obviously get far more subsidies (public schools are totally government funded), farming on the other hand is largely a private industry.

Anyhow, the public education system is just too expensive. Just like farming with animal driven plows would be much too expensive. The solution is not more money, its increased modernization. Ironically individual teachers would be paid more if the schools were modernized, there would just be fewer of them.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:11 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,330,529 times
Quote:
What improvements would you be talking about here?

Old 05-15-2010, 06:13 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,330,529 times
Quote:
Schools obviously get far more subsidies (public schools are totally government funded), farming on the other hand is largely a private industry.

Anyhow, the public education system is just too expensive. Just like farming with animal driven plows would be much too expensive. The solution is not more money, its increased modernization. Ironically individual teachers would be paid more if the schools were modernized, there would just be fewer of them.

Again..... what are you talking about?

Public schools are not totally government funded unless you call property and real estate taxes are government functioning. Could you be a little bit more specific about what you are talking about?

Perhaps you are suggesting that there only be private schools, so that only the rich can have education like it is in many countries and like it was before public education in America.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:35 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,240,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Yesterday 600 teachers received letters saying they were on the reduction of force list and as of the end of this year they did not have a job.Its a pity to see so many long term highly educated teachers with masters degrees, state board certification and years of service who have always given the extra effort be tossed under the bus. No wonder places like India and China and many others are positioning themselves to dominate us. I bet they are not throwing away their best educators...go figure. Sure reduce the dead weight but far more than that is going on in charlotte NC.

Maybe you could post back later and give the number of teachers who really will lose their jobs.

Due to laws/rules many districts don't have revenue figures by the date they have to give notice of layoffs. Thus, on the side of caution, they give layoff notices to more than they actually will be laying off.

I post this because there was a poster who started a thread about being laid off with 17 years experience.

Turns out he/she was never laid off at all. He recieved a notice way in advance, but recieved a notice later that he/she was reinstated.

As I stated, I doubt 600+ teachers will actually be laid off. ( I could be wrong )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching