Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 01:20 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmunky View Post
OK horse people ..... Looking for specific answers to my specific questions. Do not need generalities. Moving to TN. Wants lots of open trails for my western riding horses. Do not want to trailer expect for the bi-yearly occasional if mandatory. Will be buying a home with a nice stable and ring and want to get on the horse and go onto the trails. Anyone out there do that? Where I'm from we get on our horse and ride all day on trails and may never ride the same trail in that day. Even have open rings you can ride to.
In Manhattan Beach, CA?

To answer your question, no, not in my area, not anymore. Well maybe if you own property adjacent to a state park. Most all of the large tracts of private property have been bought by transplants and gated off with abundant no trespass signs or the land is leased to hunting clubs. So riding is limited to pay areas, equestrian communities and state parks and unless you live there you have to trailer.

You say you are buying a home with stables, are there trails available?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 05:10 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjsnh View Post
We are moving from NH with horses to either TN, WV, VA or KY. We are looking for a small town that has pasture area for horses but close to a large city for shopping, jobs and culture. We enjoy outside activities but are looking for a warmer climate compared to NH. Can someone suggest small towns that offer this with a low cost of living and a reasonable home price?
For you. What type of horses? Hunter/Jumper? Other types of eventers? Or mostly trail riding?

If you are heavy into eventing, look in the Franklin, (Williamson County), TN area.

If you want mostly trail riding, you and schmunky need to look in the Big South Fork and East Fork Stables areas, near Jamestown, TN. East Fork area and Jamestown are in Fentress County, several hours east of Williamson County, where another poster said it would most remind the OP of his home state

I retired with my horses (strictly a trail rider) to Middle Tennessee in 2003. The first 50 years of my life were on the OH/PA border with a five year "sentence" of Low Desert life in SoCal, for work.

I love Middle Tennessee. We bought 25 acres and built. Keeping in mind, we are retired, we built humbly but have the necessities for our comfort and for my horses comfort.

I only have a four stall barn. The only reason I ever put up a 100' roundpen was to give little children happy horse memories on my senior Arab (RIP) who was a lesson horse when we lived in PA. My horses were and are broke to death-slide-down-the-River-bank trail horses, so needing a place for formal schooling was never a necessity.

Where I live, I have to trailer to any of the great trail riding places, like up on the Cumberland Plateau. If you folks wa t to be able to ride right from your homes, you would be better served starting your search on the Plateau from the Gitgo.

Beware Roane County and the remains of the coal ash spill, some years back.. I don't give a flip what anyone says, that is another "no way in Hades" area I would buy IF the land was below (and receiving) the waters that were affected by that coal ash spill --- I wouldn't drink that water and I sure wouldn't let my livestock drink water that may be affected---

***** There is no way this side of Hades and back I would live in West Tennessee.

It's flat, it's hot and its too close to the Mississippi River which is the home of the San Madrid fault line that is bigger than the San Adreas fault. It's major belly ache in the 1800's caused the Mississippi River to not only split, but to flow backward for a time. That is how Reel Foot lake was formed.

The experts say it isn't IF but WHEN the fault line blows again. I'm also pretty sure, the closer one lives to the Mississippi River (in Tennessee), that lending institutions require earthquake insurance.

Good luck to both of you on your searches

Old 10-15-2021, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 645 times
Default Moving out of NY

I'm looking to move out of NY to TN, but have no idea where to look. I'm retired but not retired, lol. I want to be near horse farms, and close to emergency animal care if needed, I have draft horses, and would to like to be closer to draft horse farms, and western riders. I want the country, but still close to needs, and mountains views or trail riding. Any suggestions where to look would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 10-21-2021, 12:13 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyny View Post
I'm looking to move out of NY to TN, but have no idea where to look. I'm retired but not retired, lol. I want to be near horse farms, and close to emergency animal care if needed, I have draft horses, and would to like to be closer to draft horse farms, and western riders. I want the country, but still close to needs, and mountains views or trail riding. Any suggestions where to look would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
If you’re still reading, you might want to look in the Norris Lake area since you want Mountain Views..

It would put you about 90 minutes from UT Knoxville, which has a big equine facility.

https://vetmed.tennessee.edu/vmc/equinehospital/

You would also be close to Big South Fork for trail riding, as long as you have a trailer.

https://www.nps.gov/biso/planyourvis...backriding.htm

I am enough hours south that I can’t speak to the more local vet clinics or farriers & barefoot trimmers.

I can say real estate has gone thru the roof. I’m in an Ag county, my road is an old farm road, three miles long. Bare land is selling for 12-15k/acre. It prompted the out-of-town owner of a horse farm with decent acreage to put it on the market for 1.6 million —- and we are where people don’t want to live
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee