Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 09:11 AM

5 posts, read 21,067 times

Advertisements

Possible move from Maryland to East TN, but would like to settle in a smaller area other than Knoxville or Johnson City. Retiring and would appreciate any input as to surrounding areas for apartment living. Have friends in Morristown, but looking into other areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 09:59 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
What are you wanting for in a town? There are small towns on the outskirts of Johnson City and Knoxville (15-30 minutes out) that will give you a small town feel, while having access to the larger cities for shopping, medical care, etc.

What's your budget? Do you have any specific needs/wants, like mountain/river views, sophisticated medical needs, etc.?

I personally wouldn't recommend Morristown - it's a town on the decline and has issues with crime. Personally, I wouldn't recommend many of the very rural counties either - a lot of crime, not many amenities, few apartments, and I'd doubt they'd be transplant-friendly.

I would look at Jonesborough or Gray if you want to focus on Johnson City or Alcoa/Maryville around Knoxville.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:21 AM

7,538 posts, read 17,224,480 times
If you have no allegiance to any area, small towns around Chattanooga have the added benefit of being closer to Atlanta, if that matters.

Honestly, there's small towns all around East TN with apartments. Your decision will be easier if you can figure out some discerning elements to help narrow your search. Chattanooga to Bristol is 220 highway miles so it's not a small area.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:58 PM

320 posts, read 540,372 times
Crossville is a short drive to Knoxville, Nashville, and Chattanooga and home to many retirees.

Old 03-16-2016, 04:00 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,620,272 times
If you are looking for a place with a good transportation system Gatlinburg or Sevierville might be your choice.

I started to suggest Elizabethton but that is near Johnson City. Fairfield Glade is a place we have visited often in their timeshares. That is one of the most beautiful parts of Tennessee in my opinion but you would need a car. We were told the Glade area for some reason gets less snow than some other areas. One thing for sure is that with all the parks, there is always something to do. They have good restaurants too. We have never run out of something to do when visiting the area. They have a live theatre, discount shopping center with major stores, etc.

Last edited by NCN; 03-16-2016 at 04:17 PM..

Old 03-17-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
What are you wanting for in a town? There are small towns on the outskirts of Johnson City and Knoxville (15-30 minutes out) that will give you a small town feel, while having access to the larger cities for shopping, medical care, etc.

What's your budget? Do you have any specific needs/wants, like mountain/river views, sophisticated medical needs, etc.?

I personally wouldn't recommend Morristown - it's a town on the decline and has issues with crime. Personally, I wouldn't recommend many of the very rural counties either - a lot of crime, not many amenities, few apartments, and I'd doubt they'd be transplant-friendly.

I would look at Jonesborough or Gray if you want to focus on Johnson City or Alcoa/Maryville around Knoxville.

Thanks so much for your response. Didn't realize all that about Morristown. Thought it was growing somewhat - obviously, but not in the right direction. Since my move is a retirement one with some medical issues, I'd like to be close to resources for that, but enjoyment of the mountain/recreation as well. Still doing some homework, but really appreciate your info. Thanks again.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:47 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,057 times
You might check out the Lenoir City area. I am acquainted with a woman who retired , with her husband, from Michigan to a retirement subdivision with Lenoir City as their post address.

They were happy there until she decided to own more than one horse and they bought 30 acres, lol

Old 03-20-2016, 04:00 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
If you are looking for a place with a good transportation system Gatlinburg or Sevierville might be your choice.
If you consider tourist trolleys "good transportation."

Word of advice to the OP. Stay out of that tourist trap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013MD View Post
Thanks so much for your response. Didn't realize all that about Morristown. Thought it was growing somewhat - obviously, but not in the right direction. Since my move is a retirement one with some medical issues, I'd like to be close to resources for that, but enjoyment of the mountain/recreation as well. Still doing some homework, but really appreciate your info. Thanks again.
It looks like you are living in a burb that's about 20 minutes to Baltimore. You'll find that cities like Knoxville and Chattanooga are very small and not like anything you would call a city. I know that in Knoxville, about 10 minutes out you can be in a very rural area. I believe Chattanooga is the same.

I also see that you don't like snobby people. Except for very few exceptions, our small cities aren't like that. I think you'll be shocked at how friendly people actually are around here.

Also, bear in mind that small towns may be far different than you expect.

Knoxville has some great recreational offerings. Outdoor Knoxville

I think a road trip is in order.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:02 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013MD View Post
Possible move from Maryland to East TN, but would like to settle in a smaller area other than Knoxville or Johnson City. Retiring and would appreciate any input as to surrounding areas for apartment living. Have friends in Morristown, but looking into other areas.
We chose Seymour a rural community 20 minutes from Knoxville, Maryville and Sevierille/Pigeon Forge. No downtown but a very nice area and in Sevier County you have very low property taxes. You could also look a bit south to Athens, but being close to Knoxville and having less traffic because no FRWY near is great.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
If you consider tourist trolleys "good transportation."

Word of advice to the OP. Stay out of that tourist trap.

It looks like you are living in a burb that's about 20 minutes to Baltimore. You'll find that cities like Knoxville and Chattanooga are very small and not like anything you would call a city. I know that in Knoxville, about 10 minutes out you can be in a very rural area. I believe Chattanooga is the same.

I also see that you don't like snobby people. Except for very few exceptions, our small cities aren't like that. I think you'll be shocked at how friendly people actually are around here.

Also, bear in mind that small towns may be far different than you expect.

Knoxville has some great recreational offerings. Outdoor Knoxville

I think a road trip is in order.

Thanks for your response and, yes, my present area is close to Baltimore - TOO close. Depending on traffic, Camden Yards is about 8 minutes. Been here 9 years and that's 9 years too many. Retiring soon and it's time to get out of Dodge. Yes, a road trip is in order and it will be in May.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee