Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 12:32 AM

2,340 posts, read 2,658,619 times

Advertisements

A guy on Twitter who has in the past known some inside information, posted on 3/24 hinting that Tesla would open up the supercharger network to at least one other car. With an adaptor and an app.

If true, and if expanded, would be a fascinating corporate experiment. First it would remove one of the barriers to people buying other brands. If you buy a VW ID4 for example, you can't use their network. Now you'd be able to.

On the other hand it makes some sense. Remember Tesla's mission is to promote EVs. Of all kinds.

And the second is that in many ways, Tesla is an energy company. Many people expect energy to overtake autos as a revenue source. If you are an energy company, maybe making the ubiquitous national charging network is the way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2021, 09:19 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
how are they an energy company?

Old 03-26-2021, 10:14 AM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Tesla has done at least one large project where their batteries were used in bulk to buffer power at a solar panel farm. "Australia Picks Massive Tesla-Supplied Battery to Ease Transmission Constraint"... actually I think this is their second large Aussie project.

https://www.greentechmedia.com/artic...ion-constraint

P.S. Actually it looks like the above is their 3rd large Aussie project, the first, which I read about some years back, was the Hornsdale Power Reserve project, see: "Report: Tesla's Australian battery project steps in after coal units fail"
https://www.utilitydive.com/news/rep...s-fail/513870/

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 03-26-2021 at 10:33 AM..

Old 03-26-2021, 11:31 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
Yeah, maybe an energy reseller to a small degree, but not an energy company.

Old 03-26-2021, 01:27 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
I doubt Tesla would do it unless they install additional chargers that aren't for Tesla cars. They takes away the major reason why people buy Tesla for the supercharger network and ease of use.

When you look at all other chargers, they are so difficult to use and so expensive. I rather just find free charging points.

Old 03-26-2021, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
First and foremost they have an energy division. Many people think eventually it may be as big or bigger than autos.

Products

1. Solar panels and solar roofs
2. Powerwalls, Powerpacks and Megapacks. For home (Powerwalls) and commercial (Powerpack and Megapack) usage. Store excess power and use it when needed. Megapacks are utility grade systems (like the Australian system), that do load balancing, etc. It's hard to keep track of all the utility scale systems they are building.
3. Autobidder - They bought a company that makes a product that buys and sells electricity for the customer. I think it's only in Europe for now.
4. If Tesla builds a megacharger network for semis (still an "if" in my mind) a lot of folks think each station will be a buge station, buying, selling, load balancing, and dispensing energy).
5. Batteries - The heart and soul of nearly everything they do is batteries. Cars, semis, energy storage, all depend on batteries. And they don't buy them from other places, they make them. At Gigafactory Nevads (in conjunction with Panasonic), and now they are going to make their own at Gigafactories in Berlin and Austin.

All the while the Energy Division is held back by battery supplies, which is why Tesla is doing everything they can to buy/get more.

Energy is 7% of the company revenue right now. I expect it to grow substantially (as it did in 2020) in the future.

So if they open up Superchargers...I think that should be counted as Energy revenue

Old 03-26-2021, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I doubt Tesla would do it unless they install additional chargers that aren't for Tesla cars. They takes away the major reason why people buy Tesla for the supercharger network and ease of use.

When you look at all other chargers, they are so difficult to use and so expensive. I rather just find free charging points.
That's the gamble/tradeoff. But they are talking adapters so it sounds like they are using the Tesla chargers.

Old 05-02-2021, 03:44 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
That's the gamble/tradeoff. But they are talking adapters so it sounds like they are using the Tesla chargers.
It has to be a chipped adapter that allows the sensors to detect who it is. If Tesla 2x-3x the amount of supercharger networks then I can see it as a whole new business model that will out compete all the other charging networks.

Old 05-02-2021, 06:55 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
I read somewhere that it might be these weird little dudes: https://www.aptera.us/

Old 05-03-2021, 07:44 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I read somewhere that it might be these weird little dudes: https://www.aptera.us/
It is almost certainly Aptera. The vehicles made of hempcan go 1000 miles without recharging, and they are already use Tesla parts so they won't tax the supercharger network much.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DhzkUnIh58
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla