Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2022, 09:38 AM

5,454 posts, read 7,754,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txman210 View Post
I'm going to revive this dead forum. After living in SoCal and loving the climate but being forced out by cost, I started looking for places with the most similar climates. I've lived the majority of my life in Texas. Summers have become too hot, even for me! However, I discovered what I call the ”Big Bend Triangle.” These are the cities of Marfa, Alpine, and Ft Davis. The climate is very favorable. Alpine has a level IV trauma center and a university. Ft Davis has the telescope, and Marfa has arts and culture. Others have stated water is a problem, however, the Edwards aquifer is only about 30-50 miles to the NE of Alpine. The state could invest by bringing water to the region. Combine this with some art and astronomy programs at SRSU, the move to remote work for many, and maybe native Texans finding the eastern portion of the state too hot, and you could have a new small metro in the 500k range.

As to the remote-ness, that could be a draw for some. Federal air service support to the Alpine airport would assist too. Previously commercial flights flew to Dallas and Austin. I don't see how maybe weekly flights to some of the other Texas cities couldn't be supported. Upgrades to US 90 would help too.

What I'm saying is, we have made decisions to invest in infrastructure to support places people want to live (think SoCal, AZ, NV). We could do the same in this region. I think there's great potential. As a plus, it's one of the few regions of the country predicted to be not largely impacted by warming temperatures.
The Edwards Aquifer is already being overpumped and will run dry if pumping in the Central Texas area isn't seriously restricted: https://blogs.edf.org/growingreturns...s-groundwater/

There is no extra Edwards Aquifer water available to ship out to West Texas to build your fantasy city.

There are plenty of other parts of the country that are similarly situated and beautiful but will never grow in population due to lack of water and isolation. Pretty much all of Eastern Oregon is the same. As is much of Nevada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2022, 09:48 AM

11,841 posts, read 8,040,748 times
How does that region have such a favorable climate anyway given its geography and location? Just not seeing how that is possible. It’s not near an ocean, very inland and seems to be in the desert.

Anyway in respect to water, I have always felt that TX needs to take more advantage of brine water, especially in the Central TX region. That and off shore wind powered desalination. Saudi Arabia has less than half the GDP of TX but manages to supply the majority of its water through desalination. A state with over $40 Billion in reserves should be a bit more willing to address fresh water shortcomings through more innovative solutions.

Old 10-08-2022, 10:52 AM

68 posts, read 94,328 times
The elevation and latitude, along with dry air give it a favorable climate.

Old 10-08-2022, 11:03 AM

There's also the Igneous aquifer. I would guess that water might be a bit harder to get to and/or treat.

Old 10-08-2022, 11:21 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,013,642 times
It is fine as it is. The area works better as small towns all near each other. If you want to live there so badly then get a remote job and live there.

Old 10-08-2022, 12:25 PM

I will clarify; I'm not promoting this or saying it will happen. I am merely agreeing with the OP that it would be possible, and that it is uniquely positioned going forwards.

Old 10-08-2022, 12:29 PM

15,537 posts, read 10,516,019 times
Oh sure let the developers destroy that part of Texas too. Leave it alone.

Old 10-08-2022, 06:09 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,308,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
This area is generally considered to have the best weather in the country outside of California, but it is not being properly exploited. What is the best way this area can be used for the benefit of Texas? Perhaps allowing gambling and create a massive gambling town? Or other ideas?
Land is cheap right now, go and buy it and get rich

Old 10-10-2022, 08:07 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,057,402 times
The people out there would never have/allow it

Old 10-10-2022, 08:21 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,013,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Land is cheap right now, go and buy it and get rich
Compared to when? Land prices have been rising every decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas