Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2024, 12:15 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times

Advertisements

Texas isn't cheap anymore, especially if you want acreage. What kind/size of property are you looking for?

Where is your family in Texas? (It is a huge state, so if they are in Brownsville, and you move to Amarillo, that is a 2-day drive to go see them.)

You said that your husband is a plumber, which means he can always get a job since the skilled trades are very much in demand. That being said, the job opportunities will be much better closer to the large cities than in the small towns. Does he work for a company, or want to start his own business?

I will say that the whole tornado risk thing is often totally overestimated by non-Texans. The vast majority of Texans have never even seen a tornado, much less been affected by one. Tornadoes really are not a common occurrence! As a Texan, I'd be terrified of earthquakes if I lived in California, so I guess it's kind of a similar fear. There are parts of Texas that have lower tornado risks than others, but those areas also are often along the Gulf Coast, so they have risk of hurricanes.

Amarillo probably has the LEAST amount of things that you want. It is very flat there (as in "you can see for 20+ miles an a clear day" flat), it smells like cattle when the wind blows out of the north (thanks to the feedlots in Hereford, TX), there are no trees, and it is very isolated. Amarillo was part of the Dust Bowl back in the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2024, 12:20 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
OP should go to Boise City, OK. Just sayin'. Word of warning - it's pronounced like boys or Boyce - not boy-see.

Old 03-27-2024, 12:22 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReformedMamaBear87 View Post
My heart isn’t set on Texas…it’s set on Idaho but my husband has told me it’s either gonna be Idaho or Texas and Idaho has gotten pricey and he’s appealing to Texas cause of how more affordable it is there which I understand. But he’s just looking at prices of housing with some acres, he’s not looking at all the things like the climate and things that we’re not used to dealing with like very hot and humid weather and tornadoes etc. Maybe he doesn’t see those things as a big deal but I kinda do so if I have to go to Texas, I’m gonna try to go where it’s the most tolerable since it’s already gonna be a hard change for me going there to begin with. I’d much prefer the north, Wyoming or Montana or South Dakota. But we don’t have friends or family in either of those states or people we know to connect with. We have friends and family in Idaho and friends and family in Texas. I’ve thought about Arizona near Flagstaff area cause it’s cooler there and not so hot, but I hear that Arizona is turning into a blue state as well. And Utah is too expensive.
May I suggest a list of priorities compiled by both you and your husband? Rank them in terms of importance. You may find that your husband's wish for acreage and a larger house may rate lower than your wishes for cooler temperatures, trees, rivers, etc, and without the weather risk factors mentioned. Also, how close are you to the family relations in Idaho vs Texas? Try to rank all those factors fairly, and see which place comes out on top. Not that pros and cons lists should run your life, but they are eye-openers. It might be that you can persuade your husband that some factors are simply more important overall, to both of you.

We have retirement property in North Idaho, but we also visit Texas often, and we love San Antonio for its history and culture--and the Riverwalk! If we were to settle in Texas it would be in the general San Antonio area. The Hill Country to the north is beautiful. But I do understand when you say that your heart is set on Idaho.

Old 03-27-2024, 12:33 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post

Amarillo probably has the LEAST amount of things that you want. It is very flat there (as in "you can see for 20+ miles an a clear day" flat), it smells like cattle when the wind blows out of the north (thanks to the feedlots in Hereford, TX), there are no trees, and it is very isolated. Amarillo was part of the Dust Bowl back in the day.
Im actually going to push back a bit on this.

You know my history on here (as a liberal Californian heathen ), but I was sent for an assignment in Amarillo where I was working there during the week and came home on the weekends for 3 months. I actually LOVED it. I wouldn't live there of course, but I was very surprised at the things there were to do, the quality of the restaurants, bars, and the openness of the people. Ive been to over 60 countries and to this day one of the best meals of my life was in a restaurant called OHMS in Downtown Amarillo. The speakeasy in the basement of the Barfield is also great!

Palo Duro Canyon is only 20 minutes from Amarillo and its beautiful. I used to hike there on weekends I was stuck up there.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...IQMygAegQIARBx

Then you have Lake Meredith about 30 minutes away which is great for boating and really pretty in its own right:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...0Qr4kDegQIARB3

As far as trees go, its High Plains so not an over abundence of them, but there are some.

But Ill completely agree on the smell. You do get that cow dung smell a lot in winter. Summer, its not so bad.

Of the cities in that region, Lubbock is the one I couldnt do. Just too dusty and they dont have anything like Palo Duro or Lake Meredith right by.

Old 03-27-2024, 12:57 PM

11,777 posts, read 7,989,264 times
I'm going to reverberate what ChristieP has said. I don't forsee anywhere in Texas being more affordable than Idaho when comparing like for like amenities, if you even find the amenities you're looking for given your criteria.

Old 03-27-2024, 01:11 PM

24,475 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
My heart isn’t set on Texas…it’s set on Idaho but my husband has told me it’s either gonna be Idaho or Texas and Idaho has gotten pricey and he’s appealing to Texas cause of how more affordable it is there which I understand. But he’s just looking at prices of housing with some acres, he’s not looking at all the things like the climate and things that we’re not used to dealing with like very hot and humid weather and tornadoes etc. Maybe he doesn’t see those things as a big deal but I kinda do so if I have to go to Texas, I’m gonna try to go where it’s the most tolerable since it’s already gonna be a hard change for me going there to begin with. I’d much prefer the north, Wyoming or Montana or South Dakota. But we don’t have friends or family in either of those states or people we know to connect with. We have friends and family in Idaho and friends and family in Texas. I’ve thought about Arizona near Flagstaff area cause it’s cooler there and not so hot, but I hear that Arizona is turning into a blue state as well. And Utah is too expensive.
If you have friends and family in Texas then talk to them. Texas is hot, humid, dusty, can be very cold, has tornadoes and hurricanes and the occasional flood.
You did not mention a housing budget. Generally acreage means small town or outskirts of town. That has an impact on availability for your plumber.
Have you looked at property taxes (all that apply!), insurance property/vehicles. You need to heat and cool just about all year round. You want anything green you water.
Then consider distances for everything.

Old 03-27-2024, 01:53 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
I’ve thought about Arizona near Flagstaff area cause it’s cooler there and not so hot, but I hear that Arizona is turning into a blue state as well. And Utah is too expensive.
I'll never understand why people buy into the whole blue/red state
Texas is considered a red state, yet, Austin is one of the most liberal cities in the country.

You can find liberal/conservative areas anywhere you go.

Old 03-27-2024, 01:58 PM

4,503 posts, read 2,651,635 times
And Texans are friendly. That might be a culture shock for someone from Idaho.

Old 03-27-2024, 02:16 PM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I'm going to reverberate what ChristieP has said. I don't forsee anywhere in Texas being more affordable than Idaho when comparing like for like amenities, if you even find the amenities you're looking for given your criteria.

I don't know about that. I suspect if you just want a decently sized house in a middle-class suburb you're going to pay less in the DFW or Houston than in Boise. And if that's the lifestyle you want i.e. what used to be the typical middle-class lifestyle basically everywhere in America 20-25 years ago then you'd certainly be quite justified in picking Texas over Idaho.

But of course if you want to live in the quasi wilderness on acreage and fancy the whole Northwest rugged nature lifestyle then Texas is one of your worst choices in America. You'll get closer to that in Appalachia than in Texas and it's not even close. But your actual Idaho alternative is probably Alaska in that instance.

Old 03-27-2024, 02:36 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I don't know about that. I suspect if you just want a decently sized house in a middle-class suburb you're going to pay less in the DFW or Houston than in Boise. And if that's the lifestyle you want i.e. what used to be the typical middle-class lifestyle basically everywhere in America 20-25 years ago then you'd certainly be quite justified in picking Texas over Idaho.
That wasnt where she was talking about. She wants Northern Idaho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas