Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2008, 10:30 PM

3 posts, read 61,091 times

Advertisements

Recently I hocked a pistol at a local Pawn Shop in Waco Texas. When I went to retrieve my weapon I was told I had failed the background check. The store refused to tell me what exactly caused me to fail the check. The only thing I can think of is I had a Class A mis-demeanor conviction for Assault in 1999 and a class B-misdemeanor conviction in 2000 for interfering with an emergency phone call. Neither one of these involved domestic violence or harm to a child. I recieved and completed parole and paid all the associated fines. I answered all the questions on the background check form honestly and the Pawn Shop completely refused to return my weapon to me. I also passed a State of Texas background check to go to work for the Texas Youth Commission.Am I forever banned from buying a gun because of these mis-demeanors? I've been in no trouble since these happened. I am an honorably discharged veteran and I truly resent being kept in the dark as to why I can't get my pistol back. Am I now not allowed to own any guns that I already own? Who do I talk to? I've been paying interest on my hocked pistol for 9 months and I refuse to give up on getting my weapon back. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 07:08 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlestevewaco View Post
Recently I hocked a pistol at a local Pawn Shop in Waco Texas. When I went to retrieve my weapon I was told I had failed the background check. The store refused to tell me what exactly caused me to fail the check. The only thing I can think of is I had a Class A mis-demeanor conviction for Assault in 1999 and a class B-misdemeanor conviction in 2000 for interfering with an emergency phone call. Neither one of these involved domestic violence or harm to a child. I recieved and completed parole and paid all the associated fines. I answered all the questions on the background check form honestly and the Pawn Shop completely refused to return my weapon to me. I also passed a State of Texas background check to go to work for the Texas Youth Commission.Am I forever banned from buying a gun because of these mis-demeanors? I've been in no trouble since these happened. I am an honorably discharged veteran and I truly resent being kept in the dark as to why I can't get my pistol back. Am I now not allowed to own any guns that I already own? Who do I talk to? I've been paying interest on my hocked pistol for 9 months and I refuse to give up on getting my weapon back. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi SteveWaco...

I am not a legal expert, but if it was like you say, then I don't understand why you cannot get your weapon back.

This is not something I am proud of, but I got a DWI some 20 years ago (back in my stupid younger days), which was a Class A misdemenor, and I have never had any problem purchasing a firearm.

Honestly, I would seriously consider going to the police about it. You might first even go back into the shop and ask once again to buy back your pistol. AND...take along a mini tape recorder to record the conversation and their reasons for not letting you do so (if I remember correctly, Texas is a "one party" state...which allows you to record your own personal conversations without needing the permission of the other party). That way, you have for the record their rationale.

Sounds like you may have a legal case against this place...

Anyway, good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Old 12-14-2008, 08:51 AM

Thanks, TexasReb. I'm not going to give up until I get it back.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:58 AM

11,852 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Try these folks:
Texas State Rifle Association - Home Page

Old 12-14-2008, 09:44 AM

Thanks Christie!

Old 02-08-2016, 09:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlestevewaco View Post

Well bud I say this because I sell them for a living due to the nature of your misdemeanor it being a "violent crime" your gun rights have been taken away that's the only reason the assault charge kinda screwed you on this area

Old 04-15-2024, 09:01 PM

250 posts, read 147,984 times
Did you ever get your gun back? The same thing happened to me and I feel the same!!!

Old 04-16-2024, 02:28 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Hopefully not. ^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: