Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 12:58 AM

66 posts, read 281,523 times

Advertisements

I've heard it's cloudy a lot.. is it colder in this part of the country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 05:45 AM

701 posts, read 1,902,502 times
The entire province is bitterly cold in winter.
But whether it is "colder" depends on what you are comparing with.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:04 PM

195 posts, read 673,596 times
I see you are in Annandale VA -- I grew up in Fairfax VA so I can definitely comment here :-)

It is nowhere near as hot as DC -- can be just as humid but we have more breezes to moderate the humidity.

Snows a bit more than Toronto as we are closer to Lake Huron and in the snow belt but the snow is not nearly as bad as Montreal or even Barrie/Orillia Ontario.

It is rather cloudy here for a lot of the year -- we have some hot humid days and some colder days in the winter but compared to much of Canada (except BC which is mild) the temperatures here aren't extreme

What would bring you here from DC? If it's a certain three-letter company we should talk as I have some opinions and experience to offer there ;-)

Old 08-23-2010, 02:41 PM

thank you both for your replies. Yes I am in Annandale. I am looking at going to Wilfrid Laurier sometime 2011 for their music therapy program. I have been to Canada a couple of times but only Ontario and mainly Toronto. Do you know anything about WL's music program, or maybe know someone who does? I see that it is kind of a small town, which I like, as long as it isn't completely dull. I will be an older student and will not be as interested in partying every night, but will be more interested in the local culture and outdoors activities. I know the economy is much better in Canada right now and would probably be able to find a decent job somewhere around there. Is housing expensive? I won't be living on campus and will probably want a roommate. What is crime like around here? Are there any good coffee houses other than Tim Horton's? I'm more interested in little independent businesses to chow down at, places with quirkiness and personality. Are there different types of restaraunts, indian,italian,mexican,etc.?

Last edited by lilacdeming; 08-23-2010 at 03:12 PM..

Old 08-23-2010, 04:30 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,861,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacdeming View Post
thank you both for your replies. Yes I am in Annandale. I am looking at going to Wilfrid Laurier sometime 2011 for their music therapy program. I have been to Canada a couple of times but only Ontario and mainly Toronto. Do you know anything about WL's music program, or maybe know someone who does? I see that it is kind of a small town, which I like, as long as it isn't completely dull. I will be an older student and will not be as interested in partying every night, but will be more interested in the local culture and outdoors activities. I know the economy is much better in Canada right now and would probably be able to find a decent job somewhere around there. Is housing expensive? I won't be living on campus and will probably want a roommate. What is crime like around here? Are there any good coffee houses other than Tim Horton's? I'm more interested in little independent businesses to chow down at, places with quirkiness and personality. Are there different types of restaraunts, indian,italian,mexican,etc.?
Waterloo's quite close to Kitchener, which is a mid-sized city and they're usually seen as one entity themselves. The entire population of the metro's about 450,000. There are restaurants of every variety, the city has the lowest unemployment rate in Ontario, finding affordable housing/a roommate wont be too hard since Kitchener/Waterloo's home to two universities, and they're among the top one's in Canada. KW's very much a college town, amenities for any college student's needs are in abundance. I'd advise for you to check out the Waterloo and Laurier University websites and inquire further on the forums they have there.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:45 PM

Kitchener is a total dump. I live here. Live in Waterloo. Trust me I wish I had -- compared to Northern VA this area is not nearly as classy

Old 08-24-2010, 03:36 AM

ug..why? is it really bad... i mean if waterloo is so close to kitchener is waterloo really any good..i mean is it any better? The thing is, I am tired of northern va, I want to move to a different place for school, and music therapy is sparsely offered across the country anyway, there is no program here. Do you think I would regret moving to Waterloo? I really like how close you are to Toronto and it's neat how Quebec(montreal) is a half day's drive away,etc. I do wish I'd be closer to the city, but why don't you like Kitchener?

Old 08-25-2010, 12:50 PM

It's like the difference between Manassas and Vienna -- Kitchener is blue collar, very trashy a lot of people who wander around with no job, homeless alcoholics, little to no nice shopping -- the people are rather redneck and into NASCAR and UFC in Kitchener

Waterloo is more upscale, lots of tech companies, more suburban yuppie NOVA types but without as much stress and anger I find.

The entire area sucks for young singles -- it's a family oriented place. There are some bars for the 18-25 yo student crowd in Waterloo but nightlife otherwise consist of thug wannabe clubs (white boys who dress like Eminem) or country rednecky hockey hoser type places.

Toronto is about an hour -- it can take much longer in traffic but most of my coworkers (I work for RIM -- better known as the maker of the BlackBerry, headquartered in Waterloo) and many of my coworkers commute here from Toronto

Most of the students at U of Waterloo and Laurier are from the Toronto area and return there when they are done their studies -- just like the kids at UVA in Charlottesville move back to DC after they are done to find jobs.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:48 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,110,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avironneur View Post
country rednecky hockey hoser type places.
lol :d

Old 08-27-2010, 10:35 AM

34 posts, read 70,251 times
I am currently interviewing with RIM. I grew up in Charlottesville. I've worked in northern VA before. I'm happy about the comparison between Waterloo and Charlottesville and find this whole discussion very interesting.

Could you RIM folks please give me some more insight into RIM and Waterloo? I have a feeling I would want to live in Waterloo if I took a job at RIM.

Thank you

Last edited by JR-In-Troy; 08-27-2010 at 10:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto