Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2013, 06:15 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,717,921 times

Advertisements

Toronto Life ranks all 140 of Toronto's official neighbourhoods:

Neighbourhoods Ranking torontolife.com
The Best Places to Live in the City: A (Mostly) Scientific Ranking of All 140 Neighbourhoods in Toronto | torontolife.com

Toronto Life takes everything into consideration: housing, crime, transit, employment, entertainment, diversity, schools etc.

Any opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 07:34 PM

325 posts, read 1,037,084 times
Meh.. another day another article listing top 10. Or top 140. I live in Don Mills (ranked #2) and while I love it, I think it's not exactly above the Beach or Bloor West Village or the like, more just a reflection of how they weighted scores like housing, and schooling in our favour but our poor transit didn't really hurt us as much as it should have. Meh. Anyone who buys their house based on this article is a goofball anyway so hopefully no one did.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:47 AM

51 posts, read 118,527 times
Hey, it picked High Park Swansea & High Park North both ahead of The Beach, so that puts a definitive answer on that poll :-)

You can come up with any results just changing around the criteria and weights. To me, better neighbourhoods correlate greatly with how expensive they are (and therefore a market view of what the demand for that neighbourhood really is). So out of that top 10, I would only have kept Rosedale and Casa Loma, and could have easily filled out the rest of the top 10 with other expensive areas (Annex, Yorkville, Lawrence Park, Forest Hill, etc).

Old 08-15-2013, 09:08 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,717,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptownto View Post
Hey, it picked High Park Swansea & High Park North both ahead of The Beach, so that puts a definitive answer on that poll :-)

You can come up with any results just changing around the criteria and weights. To me, better neighbourhoods correlate greatly with how expensive they are (and therefore a market view of what the demand for that neighbourhood really is). So out of that top 10, I would only have kept Rosedale and Casa Loma, and could have easily filled out the rest of the top 10 with other expensive areas (Annex, Yorkville, Lawrence Park, Forest Hill, etc).
I didn't even notice High Park was ranked over The Beaches lol. I still pick The Beaches though.

Good point. On what is considered a good neighbourhood. Because these scientifically rankings can be flawed at times. What is considered good to one person may be not what the other person is looking for. For example they take 'schools' into consideration but not everyone goes to school, has kids, or likes kids/noise etc.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:25 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,865,220 times
These articles and their methodology for rating neighbourhoods is a whole lot of BS, IMO. What one person looks for in a neighbourhood may be completely different than someone else. A young family is going to have very different needs than a young. single male, or a middle-aged Muslim widow, or a homeless drug addict. Really, the best neighbourhood in the city is the neighbourhood where you feel most at-home, that offers you the amenities and resources you need, is affordable and safe, and allows you to feel part of a community. For me that may be Wallace-Emerson. For you, it may be Liberty Village. To someone else, it may be southwest Mississauga. It's all relative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto