Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2023, 08:39 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,893,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Well Toronto is Swiss you know.
thanks that really did make me lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2023, 09:34 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,501,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
The name of this thread is misleading. yes, supertalls are coming to Toronto but not Canada. There is no other city in the country that will have a supertall for many decades and the only ones where it could possibly happen is Calgary or Edmonton.
Still got a long way to go. Brookfield place is only 247m, 53 short of being classified a supertall.

Old 04-22-2023, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Still got a long way to go. Brookfield place is only 247m, 53 short of being classified a supertall.
Stantec tower in Edmonton is the tallest skyscraper in Canada outside of Toronto (assuming Toronto is in Canada). It's 251 metres so slightly taller than Brookfield place.

Old 04-22-2023, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Stantec tower in Edmonton is the tallest skyscraper in Canada outside of Toronto (assuming Toronto is in Canada). It's 251 metres so slightly taller than Brookfield place.
Yeah you’re right. That was a big mistake on my part. They’re still pretty close.

Old 04-23-2023, 07:35 PM

^Just to clarify, I was specifically talking about buildings outside of the GTA.

Old 04-24-2023, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
^Just to clarify, I was specifically talking about buildings outside of the GTA.
Yeah Stantec tower is in Edmonton Alberta. It's the tallest building in Canada outside of Toronto/GTA

Old 04-27-2023, 05:57 PM
pdw

2,675 posts, read 3,098,337 times
I wouldn’t make any claims about Canada being crammed together like sardines. As a non-homeowner who will likely be a lifelong renter, I welcome any density in any neighbourhood if it meant I could buy a little piece of property, but that’s pretty much illegal in this country now. Apparently the only acceptable place in the entire country to build anything over 2 storeys is downtown Toronto south of Bloor St so while we may get a few very tall buildings, they’re not coming to your Neighbourhood thanks to retired boomer NIMBYs showing up to every town hall meeting to stop it. I’m exaggerating a bit of course, but it’s not that far off. You guys hear about the condo that was cancelled in Stouffville (30 mins from Toronto)? It was by a Go station and cancelled again after the plan was already modified to be a shorter building. Even a two story triplex or quad is too much for these people. Sorry for my little rant it’s just a very frustrating thing about our culture here

Old 04-27-2023, 07:46 PM

3,464 posts, read 2,796,509 times
The super tall era may be coming, but the Supertramp era is long gone.

Old 04-28-2023, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I wouldn’t make any claims about Canada being crammed together like sardines. As a non-homeowner who will likely be a lifelong renter, I welcome any density in any neighbourhood if it meant I could buy a little piece of property, but that’s pretty much illegal in this country now. Apparently the only acceptable place in the entire country to build anything over 2 storeys is downtown Toronto south of Bloor St so while we may get a few very tall buildings, they’re not coming to your Neighbourhood thanks to retired boomer NIMBYs showing up to every town hall meeting to stop it. I’m exaggerating a bit of course, but it’s not that far off. You guys hear about the condo that was cancelled in Stouffville (30 mins from Toronto)? It was by a Go station and cancelled again after the plan was already modified to be a shorter building. Even a two story triplex or quad is too much for these people. Sorry for my little rant it’s just a very frustrating thing about our culture here
I totally understand your frustration about the lack of affordable home ownership options in the country, however some of what you wrote is misleading. There are lots of highrise and skyscraper activity in the GTA. The 17th tallest building in Canada is in Etobicoke Lakeshore @ 228 m in Eau du Soleil. Look at Mississauga, Scarborough, NYCC etc etc. so it isn't just happening in the DT core of T.O.

So while yes, there sure are NIMBY's around (I also welcome more density as you), there is still a lot of vertical projects happening throughout the GTA - particularly Toronto Proper. In terms of the 'missing middle' level density such as Duplexes and triplexes etc - Ford is looking to change that

https://www.thestar.com/politics/pro...t-reveals.html

Young people are looking at Condo's as their first starter home these days. So I think those boomers you speak of will be a dwindling influence in the next decade to two.

Last edited by fusion2; 04-28-2023 at 03:08 AM..

Old 04-28-2023, 02:22 PM

1,140 posts, read 620,976 times
Home ownership is depressing in the major cities in Canada, the real estate prices are ridiculous when you consider a small fixer upper starting @ $1M.

But I agree w/ fusion2, there are plenty of condo's popping up on every available corner or "old" parking lot.

My buddy use to complain condo development everywhere, but he is of the old school ignorant ilk who worships big sprawling suburbs where the houses are huge, and each driveway has 6 cars.

I would be curious in seeing the huge hike in city revenues via property taxes for all these new units in all these new condo's. Let's not forget all the development fee's etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto