Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2023, 06:05 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Where to start?

In the 60's. So nearly 60 years ago.

Marijuana 60 years ago was not a joking matter to border guards. However, I truly doubt that one statement can get one deported, but whatever.

If you are judging Canada to be " conservative " by that story, just imagine someone crossing into the US at that time. Heck, move forward to the 21st century when an older couple crossing into the US in their newly bought second hand car, have it impounded and barred from entering the US because the border guards found a marijuana seed. A seed that was most likely in the car when they bought it.

In the US they classified marijuana in the same class as heroin!

Crossing into the US today with pot is just a fine, but jail time depending on the amount, or the mood of the guard.

Now I have no sympathy for those who try, because it is an international border, the same border in your story.

It doesn't make Canada more conservative.

You are also talking out both sides of your mouth. You say,

"Canada is "socially conservative" in that it does not accept people with different ideas."

but then

"Today, it is the conservative ideas that are NOT accepted in Canada."

So which is it?

Canada has changed much since your experience two lifetimes ago. Socially conservative is certainly not the way the world sees Canada. We are a progressive, liberal democracy in many respects.

The idea that Canada doesn't accept people with different ideas is so ridiculous, that you would be laughed out of a room.
Socially conservative is obeying societal values no matter how stupid they are....

In 1970, my college student friend was deported from Canada for admitting that he smoked marijuana.

Today, you will be deported from Canada if you have a DUI on your record. I don't know for sure but I suspect you will be admitted for smoking dope. Not sure how Canada will treat you if you were arrested for driving under the influence of dope??

"The idea that Canada doesn't accept people with different ideas is so ridiculous, that you would be laughed out of a room."

And why did Canada persecuted Mark Steyn for his views???

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/free-s...steyn-1.720445

Was it because they were different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2023, 07:07 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Socially conservative is obeying societal values no matter how stupid they are....

In 1970, my college student friend was deported from Canada for admitting that he smoked marijuana.

Today, you will be deported from Canada if you have a DUI on your record. I don't know for sure but I suspect you will be admitted for smoking dope. Not sure how Canada will treat you if you were arrested for driving under the influence of dope??

"The idea that Canada doesn't accept people with different ideas is so ridiculous, that you would be laughed out of a room."

And why did Canada persecuted Mark Steyn for his views???

Well, don't do any of those things in Canada and you'll be fine. Individuals who do that in other people's lands like the said writer are asking for trouble. The moment you cross the border, you have left the USA and are subject to Canadian laws and observances. That's the problem with so many Americans. They leave the country but take the country with them and expect mercy or leniency on the part of the locals. It's like you visit someone else's home and once inside, you do things that you might do in your own home such as walking around with your shoes on or eat food in the living room, and then criticize the homeowner as fussy when h/she tells you not to do such things. How does that make the homeowner feel? Seriously, no wonder why so much of the world look upon Americans as boors - crass, uncouth, and arrogant individuals who think too highly of themselves. That casts a bad light on all the Americans who don't do such things when visiting a foreign nation.

And for the record, there are many socially conservative Americans and Americans who value societal values over that of the individual. In that regard, we're not that different from our northern neighbors. As they say, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Old 02-18-2023, 02:30 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post

And why did Cthe anada persecuted Mark Steyn for his views???

Your examples of social conservatism make no sense.

They would only make sense if society in Canada never changed.

That 2023 would be just like 1970.

Canada overall has been more socially progressive than the US.

Gays in the military, before the US.

LGBTQ rights, before the US.

Women's rights entrenched in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms in 1977. USA Federal Act on Gender Equality in 1996.

Abortion rights...well we have no laws anymore on abortion...USA ????? All over the map, and peddling backwards.

Universal Healthcare in the 1960's was a huge societal change.

Canadian society is a lot less religious than in the 1970's, more so than the US.

There have been so many progressive changes over the last 50 years in Canada that you seem to want to ignore.

The laws in Canada are different. DUI's in the US are misdemeanours, in Canada they are an Indictable Offence, which is like your felonies. It is a huge deal. I'm not sure how treating DUI's differently makes Canada conservative. The US has similar rules, a one time DUI may still get you into the US, but two? Doubtful.

"According to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agency “A single DUI conviction is not grounds to deny entry into the U.S. However, multiple DUI convictions or a DUI conviction in combination with other misdemeanor offenses can make a person inadmissible and require a waiver prior to entering the United States.â€

https://nationalpardon.org/canadian-dui-enter-us/

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpce...qnum=152&top=8

As for Mark Steyn, a citizen complained to the Ontario Human Rights Commission. They said it wasn't in their jurisdiction.

The Canadian Human Rights Commission ruled "the views expressed in the Steyn article, when considered as a whole and in context, are not of an extreme nature, as defined by the Supreme Court."

So in other words, it went nowhere and it wasn't Canadian Society, it was a complaint that was acted on.

I hardly think that is an example of Canadian society. Just like his defamation lawsuit in the US. Look that up.
Does that make the US socially conservative?

Last edited by Natnasci; 02-18-2023 at 03:21 PM..

Old 02-19-2023, 03:55 PM

9,523 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Well, don't do any of those things in Canada and you'll be fine. Individuals who do that in other people's lands like the said writer are asking for trouble. The moment you cross the border, you have left the USA and are subject to Canadian laws and observances. That's the problem with so many Americans. They leave the country but take the country with them and expect mercy or leniency on the part of the locals. It's like you visit someone else's home and once inside, you do things that you might do in your own home such as walking around with your shoes on or eat food in the living room, and then criticize the homeowner as fussy when h/she tells you not to do such things. How does that make the homeowner feel? Seriously, no wonder why so much of the world look upon Americans as boors - crass, uncouth, and arrogant individuals who think too highly of themselves. That casts a bad light on all the Americans who don't do such things when visiting a foreign nation.

And for the record, there are many socially conservative Americans and Americans who value societal values over that of the individual. In that regard, we're not that different from our northern neighbors. As they say, just because you can doesn't mean you should.
I completely agree with you when you are in another country, you show respect for their culture and ways. I actually can relate to your comparison with walking with shoes on in someone's home. I had people I barely knew visit me one day and I politely told them, that we don't wear shoes in the house. They were actually insulted and said they had never been told that when visiting a home and declined the visit. I thought if such a little request as removing their shoes in the house bothered them, what other thoughtless uncaring behaviour would I see from these people. I'm glad they left. Same goes for people going to another country. Customs and cultures change from one place to another, but when you are in someone else's country you are in their home not yours.

Old 05-12-2023, 09:00 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times
There have been long, detailed discussions of this on the website "QUORA."

Some things they mentioned on QUORA:

1. You will have to change to a Canadian phone plan soon after you arrive, to avoid costly roaming charges anytime you make calls back to the U.S.

2. Your U.S. insurance company won't let you drive your car into Canada unless it's paid off. They're afraid your trying to steal it. You must either pay your car off before arriving in Canada, or else sell it and buy another car in Canada.

3. You may not be able to rent in Canada, if you don't have a job. Your credit record / score in U.S. is no good in Canada.

4. Many items are higher priced. You may notice on the cover of magazines/ books that the Canadian price is higher. Gasoline is much higher taxed than in U.S.

5. Many U.S. online merchants won't ship to Canada. You may waste your time filling out everything, only to click "Place Order" and have it rejected.

6. Canada prefers immigrants who either have substantial savings, or else have experience in STEM fields or medical fields. They don't want anyone who will be a burden on their social services network. They may also resent Americans taking away their jobs. Since USA is a first-world country (and not poor or troubled), they may regard your wish to move there as frivolous and unnecessary. If your U.S. driving record has a DUI conviction, you will be turned away at the border.

8. You will have to adapt to the Metric system of weight, temperature, size, distance, and volume. This includes oddities such as vehicle fuel economy measured in "kiloliters per kilometer" (or some such combination) which means that higher numbers indicate worse, not better fuel economy.

Last edited by slowlane3; 05-12-2023 at 09:09 PM..

Old 05-12-2023, 09:41 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post

1. You will have to change to a Canadian phone plan soon after you arrive, to avoid costly roaming charges anytime you make calls back to the U.S.

2. Your U.S. insurance company won't let you drive your car into Canada unless it's paid off. They're afraid your trying to steal it. You must either pay your car off before arriving in Canada, or else sell it and buy another car in Canada.

3. You may not be able to rent in Canada, if you don't have a job. Your credit record / score in U.S. is no good in Canada.

4. Many items are higher priced. You may notice on the cover of magazines/ books that the Canadian price is higher. Gasoline is much higher taxed than in U.S.

5. Many U.S. online merchants won't ship to Canada. You may waste your time filling out everything, only to click "Place Order" and have it rejected.

6. Canada prefers immigrants who either have substantial savings, or else have experience in STEM fields or medical fields. They don't want anyone who will be a burden on their social services network. They may also resent Americans taking away their jobs. Since USA is a first-world country (and not poor or troubled), they may regard your wish to move there as frivolous and unnecessary. If your U.S. driving record has a DUI conviction, you will be turned away at the border.

8. You will have to adapt to the Metric system of weight, temperature, size, distance, and volume. This includes oddities such as vehicle fuel economy measured in "kiloliters per kilometer" (or some such combination) which means that higher numbers indicate worse, not better fuel economy.
I intended to move there but did not due to circumstance. However, I was living there for the better part of two years, so here's my two cents--US, of course, since Canada no longer has pennies.

1. Depends upon your provider and plan. I had North American coverage. Didn't cost me anything extra to call the USA. The only difference was that I had a limit on my data in Canada, which was unlimited in the USA. Only twice did I exceed when for whatever reason I was not able to use wifi. I paid a few bucks extra and got the data. (Verizon).

2. How would they know? My car was paid off, but my insurance company didn't know I was in Canada. I don't think this is something you have to worry about until you have whatever governmental vehicle (meaning, work visa, visitor record, etc.,) that's allowing you to be in Canada for more than six months as a visitor and a better idea about how long you will be staying.

3. Didn't try to rent, but it sounds logical. Why would anyone in either the States or Canada rent to anybody without a job? And if you are here without a job, you are here as a visitor with a six-month limit to be in Canada unless you are a refugee or are being sponsored by a family member. Who is going to rent to a foreign visitor who cannot show that he or she can pay the rent?

4. Items are higher-priced, in part, because the Canadian dollar is not the same value as the American dollar. So if you see a book that is $20 Canadian and $15 US, it's the same price. The value against the American dollar varies, but it's generally somewhere in the vicinity of 75 cents.

The sales tax will be significantly higher than that of pretty much any American state.

5. Some places won't ship to Canada, no. So, you shop Amazon.ca or buy from Canadian businesses. Some popular stores do business in Canada, such as Walmart, Old Navy, others.

6. Canada doesn't want immigrants moving to their country who do not make a contribution to the economy. I don't know where you got these odd thoughts:
Quote:
They may also resent Americans taking away their jobs. Since USA is a first-world country (and not poor or troubled), they may regard your wish to move there as frivolous and unnecessary.
No one is going to resent an American "taking away their jobs" because you will not be doing that. You need the government's permission to work in the country or you won't be hired.

You will have to meet the requirements for moving to Canada as per the website, which I am starting to suspect you haven't even read. It's not a matter of the US being a first-world country, and the "frivolous and unnecessary" thought probably never crosses the mind of anyone in the IRCC. Really? That's not how it works.

You should probably review the requirements and situations under which you can immigrate to Canada and see if there are any under which you might qualify:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...te-canada.html

It is true that if you have a DUI, or other criminal convictions, or other legal issues, such as tax evasion, Canada will not let you in. Do not underestimate the volume of information at their fingertips when you pull up to the border, show your passport, and your license plate is photographed and run through the database.

No 7?

8. I don't know about the fuel economy calculation, and I don't care.

It's not that difficult to get used to the metric system. If something as simple as that so stumps people that it seems to be an insurmountable problem, they likely have other limitations that would preclude their being accepted for permanent residency. Which, just as in the USA, is not necessarily permanent.

But seriously, read the Canadian government's website on immigration for information instead of Quora.

Old 05-13-2023, 05:48 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
On the cost of items being cheaper in the U.S than Canada it is not a clear cut thing across the board. There are certainly items cheaper in the U.S.. Booze, cigs, and generally proteins - meats, cheeses, milk etc. I also find non brand items cheaper. If you buy equate ibuprofen in the U.S it is cheaper than Canada - but if you go advil - about the same. Oddly I find potato chips and other carb items about the same or cheaper in Canada. Fruits and vegs about the same on the whole.

I'm a cross border shopper as I live on the U.S/Cad border so i keep my eye on these things on the reg. I don't go to the U.S to save alot of money of items - it really isn't all that much cheaper to warrant the gas and cross border fees you have to pay - i go to get items I can't get in Canada. There is simply more selection of goods in the U.S because there is 9X the population. An example - I can't get 20 Percent vinegar in Canada but I can in the U.S (i use it to kill weeds). I imagine actually for Americans they would find a quite of bit of items cheaper in Canada, given the higher value of the USD against the CAD.

Sales taxes are higher in Canada but we are also a more egalitarian society. Kind of like the robin hood effect. Those taxes are used for society writ large but also for the poor as well. So wealthy people buying a lot of items helps pays for people on disability or welfare benefits etc - or to pay for the medications of the poorer as well.

Old 05-13-2023, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
On the cost of items being cheaper in the U.S than Canada it is not a clear cut thing across the board. There are certainly items cheaper in the U.S.. Booze, cigs, and generally proteins - meats, cheeses, milk etc. I also find non brand items cheaper. If you buy equate ibuprofen in the U.S it is cheaper than Canada - but if you go advil - about the same. Oddly I find potato chips and other carb items about the same or cheaper in Canada. Fruits and vegs about the same on the whole.

I'm a cross border shopper as I live on the U.S/Cad border so i keep my eye on these things on the reg. I don't go to the U.S to save alot of money of items - it really isn't all that much cheaper to warrant the gas and cross border fees you have to pay - i go to get items I can't get in Canada. There is simply more selection of goods in the U.S because there is 9X the population. An example - I can't get 20 Percent vinegar in Canada but I can in the U.S (i use it to kill weeds). I imagine actually for Americans they would find a quite of bit of items cheaper in Canada, given the higher value of the USD against the CAD.

Sales taxes are higher in Canada but we are also a more egalitarian society. Kind of like the robin hood effect. Those taxes are used for society writ large but also for the poor as well. So wealthy people buying a lot of items helps pays for people on disability or welfare benefits etc - or to pay for the medications of the poorer as well.
You can.

https://www.earthmarketstore.ca/product/vinegar20/98

Haven't looked further, but I'm sure other places might have it.

Old 05-13-2023, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post

1. Assuming you have given up an address in the US for Canada, then you will have to change carriers. Many US tourists and visitors who retain an address in the US can keep their US carrier, Many plans on both sides of the border offer US/Canada plans.

2. Totally false. Millions of US tourists in vehicles drive into Canada every year. No one is checking , and has no way of checking, whether you car is paid off. My BC car insurance is valid in the US as well, and I'm sure it's the same the other way around. They may ask if you are the owner of the car, but that just means, is it your name on the registration, not if it's paid for. However this question has nothing to do with you car insurance company.

3. You will have to start a new credit rating. This is the norm for anyone moving to a new country. No job no renting makes sense. Proof of income is normal everywhere.

https://loanscanada.ca/credit/can-i-...ry-to-the-u-s/

4. SOME items are higher priced, but just looking at the price of things, doesn't really show the COL in both countries. Some things included in Canadian taxes, are paid out of pocket in the US.

5. Take it up with US merchants.

6.Bizzaro comment about Americans. I know a few Americans that have move here and work. No one resents them. Immigrants in Canada are not resented, wherever they are from. We still have some faith in the system.

7. As MQ said. ???

8. Nearly the entire world uses the metric system. Americans have to use it every time they leave the country.
That said, Canada is one of the few countries that use Metric, that still has many items in the old Imperial measurements. Just understand that some of the old Imperial Measurements are not the same as US measurements. Example, a liquid pint, and gallons are different.

Last edited by Natnasci; 05-13-2023 at 07:24 PM..

Old 05-13-2023, 07:50 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
You can.

https://www.earthmarketstore.ca/product/vinegar20/98

Haven't looked further, but I'm sure other places might have it.
Fair enough. I guess i was thinking where you could go to a local 'big store' and buy. You can get the 20 percent vinegar at Lowes in the U.S for example. Not happening at Lowe's here. Or atleast in Ontario. So for me, just easier to cross the border on one of my trips and get it as opposed to ordering online here. thanks for the link!

Last edited by fusion2; 05-13-2023 at 08:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto